PDA

View Full Version : The most lovely gift...

pintopiaffe
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:35 PM
I had the most lovely gift today!

My snowblower is not working. It may well have something to do with being run over by the horse trailer in my learning the new turning radius of new-to-me-Millenium-Falcon-truck with said trailer… maybe… <shrugs> At any rate, one of the blades is stuck but good. I need someone with more engineering savvy, more brawn, and definitely more tools than myself to fix it.

Meanwhile, I cannot even GET the truck to the plow. We have plenty of mud still underneath this lovely eight inches of wet, heavy snow. When I slid just slightly off the gravel last night, I was up to the siderail in muck underneath the snow.

So I sucked it up and headed for the snowbank at the end of the driveway with shovel in hand. Mind you, I’m already feeling every day of my age and then some from last night’s escapades trying to get in to midnight shift. Almost didn’t happen. I was drenched right through all the layers by the time it did. I shoveled and shoveled and put floor mats down and shoveled some more, and slid sideways the wrong way… No less than two plow trucks passed and no one stopped—I have a tow strap, I was mere feet from the road, just five minutes would have been a lifesaver right then…

I managed to get to work *almost* on time (but I had to shower since I was SO nasty from shoveling! So signed on 5 minutes late) And we had two heart-attacks come in just in the six hours I was there. One did not make it. ;(

So with those fresh in mind, I figured I’d best head out with the shovel while I had plenty of time to be casual about the heavy, wet stuff today.

I’d peeled down to base layers in the first five minutes already—the sun is GORGEOUS out there until the wind kicks in this afternoon with windchlls below zero… Meanwhile, it was nice. And I was making very, very little headway.

When a guy with a plow came by and asked me if he could take the snowbank down for me. I said I would be eternally grateful. With one swoosh, hours of work pushed out of the way. Then he says, “move your truck and I’ll clear it up.” He saw the plow and asked about it, I said the mud was way too deep for me to get the truck to the plow. He says “That’s ok. I’ll just make a swipe or two.” I told him I had no money… He grinned and said “move your truck.”

I did. And the first thing he did, brave young soul that he is, was take a swipe right down over the mud toward the plow blade. He got stuck a couple times, but HE knew how to LIFT his blade to weight the truck… when to drop the blade, etc. He got out! Maybe eight minutes total, and he had the driveway plowed enough for me to get in and out fine, and the way to the plow cleared out.

I wanted to cry I was so grateful. I said, “I can’t pay you, but I do pay it forward! I carry a tow strap, and I also try to stop and do the snowbank for people who have to shovel.”

He said “that’s the best payment of all!” And went on his way.

Sometimes ten minutes is all it takes. He helped me out of a really hard, bad situation. I can now load up the snowblower to get it fixed, and later tonight or tomorrow, when that ground is frozen, hook up the plow.

It’s amazingly lovely when we are not too busy to stop and help. I’m not sure he has any idea what a big deal that was for me. I had no idea how I was going to clear wet, heavy snow to get hay in tonight… nor did I know how I was going to get the truck to the plow.

Kindness propagates kindness. I can’t wait to help someone else when I have the plow on. (mind you, I’m not that good—I get stuck. A Lot. But I can do the END of the driveway!!! :p ) Because that was a little Christmas Miracle for me.

Daydream Believer
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
Kindness propagates kindness.

Yes indeed it does! :D I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience. When something like that happens...random acts of kindness...you realize that most people are good kind people at heart. I know it makes the person helping another feel good as does the person helped...a win win situation.

Generally what we put out returns to us someday...both kindness and bad deeds...so it is always best to send out that which you want back. :)

chai
Dec. 10, 2009, 07:22 PM
What a great story. He sounds like a really cool person and the nice thing is that someone out there in the future will be the recipient of your kindness when the time comes.

strawberry roan
Dec. 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
There are still some kind people out there. Glad one was passing your way. :):)

AppJumpr08
Dec. 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
:D:D

sdlbredfan
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:19 PM
What a wonderful day brightener! (so sorry about the heart attack person who did not make it)

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
Aww, that is so sweet! Glad you got an early Christmas gift.

harveyhorses
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
He probably felt really good about being somebody hero too. :)
Stay safe!

SLW
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:43 PM
Bumping this up, thanks for sharing. :)

Grataan
Dec. 10, 2009, 11:31 PM
how awesome! I'm inspired to do something good for someone totally random now.

atr
Dec. 10, 2009, 11:49 PM
When you need him, the helpful guy with the snowplow really is akin to God Almighty.

The nice thing is, that most guys with plows are inclined to help out.

We have a not very close neighbor who I think I've spoken to maybe once or twice, and have a waving acquaintanceship with while I'm out riding (and he barrels past me on the dirt lane much too fast in his giant pickup truck with his dog barking its head off in the bed and I restrain myself from screeching at him.)

Sometimes when he's out on his big blower, clearing said lane, he'll do my driveway. Saves me 45 minutes screwing around with the tractor. Probably pennance for the driving thing :)

2DogsFarm
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:54 AM
Great story!
Being nice repays itself a hundredfold.

When I lived in the city, the young marathon runner next door used to shovel my walk w/o being asked.
I'd return the favor if I was out with the shovel.

Now that I'm Out Here, I have an across-the-road neighbor - in his 80s! - who regularly plows my driveway and a path from the drive to the barn.

Last Winter I had the Mystery Plow.
I came home to find my drive done, called to thank the neighbor and he told me it hadn't been him.
???
This happend twice that week, so on Saturday I baked cookies and put them out with a note addressed to: Mystery Plow.
I ran an errand and got back just in time to see a JD w/plow pulling out of my drive.
Turned out to be a neighbor from down the road who knew I was alone and wanted to help.

This sort of kindness makes you look at strangers differently.

kookicat
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
Aw, I love things like this. :D

shall
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
What a lovely thread this is. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

equineartworks
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
That's awesome pintopiaffe.

I remember when we first bought this house, it was late September and we wanted to hold off buying a tractor to mow with until the next year. Of course we had the longest damn Indian Summer in history! I ended up with pneumonia and I was out there push mowing 3 acres of lawn...thought.I.would.die. The next door neighbor just happened to be getting home from work and came over with a glass of iced tea and walked me over to the porch and sat me down. He told me he would be right back and he was...with his tractor. And he mowed the grass three more times until the first hard frost came. He never would take a penny. We didn't even know them yet, as we had just moved in.

I big puffy heart my neighbors :)