PDA

View Full Version : Need real advice on what to do about my horse. please help.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:05 PM
Okay, so I have two horses that I ride regularly. My other 4 are either retired or ponies. The two I ride regularly are my "show horses" although one hasn't been shown much because I really don't have the time for her. Despite my best efforts I haven't been able to sell her or even find her free lease home. I go to a college 2 hours from home, so while I am gone I can only take one with me.. This past semester it was my primary horse, Cinniman, but I have been wondering if I should give her some time off and take my other horse,Sapphite, with me. I have worked really hard to get Cinniman where she is now and I am afraid that if I leave her home for 3 months with minimal work she will lose everything I have worked so hard for and we will be back to square one. On the other hand, Sapphire is very far behind considering she is 7. She really needs to be worked more. Last year I was away at school horseless for a semester and Cinniman was fine when I came home, but we weren't jumping 3'9 last year, we were at about 2'9-3.

Anyway.. does anyone have any advice on what i should do? Taking both is out of the question. I don't have the time for both of them at school and I have tried selling Sapphire and am still trying, but it just isn't working.

Thanks...

ETA: if I leave Cinniman home, that will put off our eventing career until the summer because Sapphire isnt ready to event that would also mean I will not be eventing until the summer.

Hilary
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
Well, the horse you aren't working won't really forget what they learned but they'll get out of shape.

If you really want to just concentrate on 1 horse, I'd suggest taking Sapphite to school and put some time into her and then sell her. At which time Cinniman become your priority again.

If you continue to work with Cinniman she will improve, but the other horse, who is less trained to begin with and therefore harder to sell will just continue to sit, age, and not get any better than she is right now and not become any more attractive to a buyer.

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:42 PM
My opinion as an actively eventing college student:

Take your green mare with you to school. Put experience on her and try to sell her in a bit of a different area. If you have time one weekend a month (or more!) go home and ride your other mare and/or get someone to hack her once a week. She will most likely appreciate the time off and be better for it.

I know your in Tenn, and your season starts pretty early... but it's not uncommon here for people to do their first event in June.

Also, if you REALLY want/need to sell your mare... lower her price.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

Also, if you REALLY want/need to sell your mare... lower her price.

The price is as low as it can go saddle. I dont need to sell her that bad! She isnt costing me that much to sit out in my pasture! haha

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will give my good girl time off like she probably deserves!

jn4jenny
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
The price is as low as it can go saddle. I dont need to sell her that bad! She isnt costing me that much to sit out in my pasture! haha

Unless she eats air, she's costing you at least $150/month. If she sits on the market for another 6 months, that's $900 out of your pocket. And if you have to give her spring shots, that's easily another $100, plus the time and energy you're putting into riding her. So you can't lower her price $1500 as an incentive to get her gone?

As for "really trying hard" to sell her, your free lease ad on Giveaways for this mare doesn't include any pictures or video. She's already a tough sell at 7 years old, green, and 15.2hh. Why not give her a fighting chance by showing her under saddle to potential good homes? Think of it as a potential $1000 investment in your next competition season with Cinnamon. :)

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
Im not sure what kind of horse costs that much to own, but mine do not! she costs be about 20 bucks a month.. maybe. she doesnt get feed grain and eats hay.. easy keeper. Her price is set at 1500 , but i would take 1200 any less i am lossing money i am not willing to lose. And riding her isnt a chore. i love her. And that giveaway add was posted a long time ago when i wasnt really too serious about getting rid of her. Im still not to desperate to sell and next fall i can take both horses to school. not just one.
Selling my horse was not the question. Can we please stick to the question?

deltawave
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:53 PM
Twenty dollars a month? What, no vet or farrier bills, ever? :confused:

Having horses isn't about making money for most of us. I'd sell one of them and put your time and energy into the one with more talent and potential, or the one you enjoy the most.

faluut42
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
Twenty dollars a month? What, no vet or farrier bills, ever? :confused:

Having horses isn't about making money for most of us. I'd sell one of them and put your time and energy into the one with more talent and potential, or the one you enjoy the most.

My horses used to not cost me anything because i 1) did their feet myself 2) they wore their own feet down. 3) ate pasture so no need to buy feed :) horse only saw the vet once or twice a year so $20 a month is believable

What are your goals with cinnamon? What are your goals with Sapphire? If you dont mind Sapphire staying behind in her training, wait until you can bring her to college in the fall and in the mean time hope she sells.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:08 AM
I just want to event cinniman. I had planned on doing a schooling show at Novice, but compete recognized at BN. There are other schooling shows I can do at Novice and have her ready for Novice in the fall like i had planned. My goal is to move her up a level every year (within reason of course). My goal for Sapphire is to event her as well, but im not sure how far she can make it because she is a super skiddish horse and idk how that will hold up on XC. If i could keep both of them and compete both of them that would be AMAZING, but i know realistically at this moment I cant do it. I dont have the money to compete two horses on the rec. circut.

LuckyStar
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:58 AM
It sounds as though you have at least made up your mind that you are taking Cinniman with you to school -- and that is a good start! With that figured out, you need to focus on the plans for Sapphire. Assuming she is not coming with you to school, that basically leaves her options at 1.) Sell 2.) Give away 3.) Lease out 4.) Find someone to ride 5.) Leave to sit

If you prefer to keep her and are not losing much money doing so, why not find someone to lease/ride her back home? As long as she is broke enough and there is someone around that you trust to keep you updated, that could be a good option.

Also, not sure whether you would consider selling one of the ponies but that might potentially be money in your pocket for paying board/competition expense.

Good luck with this tough decision!

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
LOL I thought I was leaning more toward taking Sapphire! haha

And unfortunely ponies have to stay. Although, I do own them, one is a Mini my daddy is attached to. He pays the bills so I dont have much say so and the other, I use for lessons for my neighbor and was originally bought for my parents friends adopted daughter, so other pony cant leave and actually brings in an income (Just so everyone knows: when I become a member of USEA (because I am not yet) I will not be an ammy! I just didnt want that spark the ammy fight:D )

LuckyStar
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
LOL well, at least you made up your mind that you are keeping Cinniman, then?

Whatever you do, my best piece of advice is to be settled about it before classes start. There is nothing worse than trying to study while fretting away about what is going on with your horses.

Rescue_Rider9
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
Yes! I am keeping Cinniman! LOL I do know that much! I am not to stressed with exams because I only have two left and they are pretty easy, so I do spend most of my time thinking about it! Thank you so much for all the advice!

ThirdCharm
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:24 PM
Keep them both, let the greenie sit home if another year of upkeep is not going to cost you much, so if you take her to a few shows next year and then sell her for $1500 (at 15.2h and 8 yo a few shows is not going to increase her value much) you will only be out the show fees and a year of your time. But maybe you can make some progress with the other horse meanwhile.

Jennifer