PDA

View Full Version : Static under horse blankets?

albigears
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:29 PM
What do you do about static under your horse's winter blanket?

It's really dry here and my poor guy is getting snapped, crackled, and popped... but it's way too cold (-10 at night) to leave his young skinny TB self out in the cold without a blanket.

oharabear
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
when my guys get all static-y I rub them down with those anti-cling laundry sheets that you throw in the dryer...

SkipChange
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:58 PM
when my guys get all static-y I rub them down with those anti-cling laundry sheets that you throw in the dryer...

This is a great suggestion. Some girls in my sorority told me to they use dryer sheets on their own hair to keep it from getting static-y. I do it too now and it works great, run them over your hair and keeps it sleek all day.

oharabear
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
not to mention it makes the horses smell nice and fresh- like clean laundry! :lol:

albigears
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you, this is a great idea. Off to buy laundry sheets!

Blugal
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
I buy spray-on Static Guard. No idea if that's better or worse than laundry sheets, but I figure their winter coat is protecting their skin from it.

Gry2Yng
Dec. 10, 2009, 07:41 PM
Static guard, laundry sheets, some coat conditioners help. Also, put moisturizer on your skin before you touch the horse/blanket. I shocked my boy today when I reached to snap on the lead rope! I saw the static move thru the air. He was NOT pleased.

Blugal
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:01 PM
Oh, I forgot that I also buy Infusium spray-in hair conditioner, then cut it in half with water. I spray that on the tail, and occasionally on the body (but have to be careful not to get them too wet).