PDA

View Full Version : Kip Deville

Glimmerglass
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
Sadly this extremely game runner, likable character and the most successful Oklahoma-bred horse (since retired this fall) appears to be near the bitter end :( Owned by IEAH and last seen finishing an unexpectedly weak 8th in the Grade 2 Fourstardave Handicap at Saratoga.

Following a serious bout with colic it was uncovered he also has laminitis. Now stationed at Rood and Riddle the BloodHorse described his condition as "critical" (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54375/kip-deville-in-critical-condition).

“This is excruciating,” Iavarone said. “The whole thing is a nightmare. We can only keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. This horse is like family, and we will spare no expense to see he gets the best treatment available. He means everything to us. But we will not let him suffer. We will do the humane thing for him, one way or another.”

:(

[Note the BloodHorse corrected the quote Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:32 PM]

Toadie's mom
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:20 PM
:cry: he is one of my favorites

VirginiaBred
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:23 PM
:( I'm a big fan as well. Sad to read this.

Laurierace
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
This has been going on for many weeks now but sounds like it is worsening. I hope they meant they would spare no expense as instead of bear no expense.....

iloverocky
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
I love Kip Deville and really hope that he can pull through this, but it doesn't sound good. It sounds like his condition has worsened quite a bit since the last update.

While I don't love IEAH, I do believe Ivarone loves the horses, particularly the 'big' horses, and I think he will do all he can for Kip.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:01 PM
This has been going on for many weeks now but sounds like it is worsening. I hope they meant they would spare no expense as instead of bear no expense.....

A big difference indeed and yes someone else caught that as well and let the BH know it: Updated: Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:32 PM]

(I've updated it as well)

Rubyfree
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:13 PM
Oh no. :(

I hope IEAH does right by him, whatever the right thing is. He's certainly been good to them.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:34 PM
From The Daily Racing Form (http://drf.com/news/article/109481.html) this evening (12/10/09):

Kip Deville, the 2007 Breeders' Cup Mile winner, is suffering from laminitis in both front feet and has been given a 20 percent chance to survive by his doctors, according to his owners.

"The last 10 days to 14 days Kip has been struggling with laminitis with both front feet and has been more uncomfortable during this time than what he had been previously," [Mike Sherack, vice president of investor relations for IEAH] said, reading an e-mail from Dr. Scott Hopper from the Rood and Riddle Clinic. "The last few days he's spending significantly more time down. We will continue to work with him to get through this bout of laminitis."

I don't doubt IHEA's sincerity in being willing to spend the resources despite knowing he'll never go back to the track or frankly make another penny for the investment group. All the money they put into the Ruffian Center at Elmont, NY shows they'll open the wallet in the interest of equine health.

Frog
Dec. 10, 2009, 07:31 PM
I am upset to read this! Kip Deville is one of my very favorite racehorses.

iloverocky
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
From I don't doubt IHEA's sincerity in being willing to spend the resources despite knowing he'll never go back to the track or frankly make another penny for the investment group. All the money they put into the Ruffian Center at Elmont, NY shows they'll open the wallet in the interest of equine health.

I agree. IEAH has already done two colic surgeries for Kip Deville and has been treating the laminitis for at least a month; they will do everything they can for him.

I feel really bad for all his connections, and I hope that if the worst case scenario becomes reality that his connections can find the strength to let him go as I think they are more likely to keep trying everything in order to keep him alive than they are to throw in the towel and say treatment costs too much.

texang73
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
So very sad for the horse. I do hope that they do what is right for Kip, whatever that may be... He deserves it. :cry:

crthunder
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:10 AM
:( I saw the update from Blood Horse this morning. Prayers to him and his connections!

Becky & the boys

TouchstoneAcres
Dec. 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
A favorite of mine too.

Rubyfree
Dec. 22, 2009, 01:33 AM
Does anyone have any updates?

iloverocky
Dec. 22, 2009, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have any updates?

My take on that last article was that they had his condition stabilized to where he was comfortable enough, and now it is a waiting game to see if the hoof grows enough before his next scheduled trim, which should still be a couple of weeks away.

At this point, no news is good news I think, and I don't think an update will come out again until the hoof trim, unless his condition deteriorates. Hopefully when it's time for his trim, his hoof will have grown enough that they have something to work with, and we will get good news then.

grits
Dec. 30, 2009, 12:30 AM
Bit of an update in BH (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54579/major-hurdle-coming-up-for-kip-deville)- yes, they are hoping to see some hoof growth when he is due for reshoeing in two weeks. Growth will be critical.

I hate laminitis.

EightBelles134
Dec. 30, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am hoping that his hoof grows..he's one racehorse that i really love...he always gives it his all no matter what

elsbet
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:35 AM
Jingling for Kip Deville.....

farmgirl88
Jan. 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
I love Kip Deville and really hope that he can pull through this, but it doesn't sound good. It sounds like his condition has worsened quite a bit since the last update.

While I don't love IEAH, I do believe Ivarone loves the horses, particularly the 'big' horses, and I think he will do all he can for Kip.

While i dont love IEAH either, it is known that Ivarone and the rest of the IEAH racing stable does a great job and takes great pride in retiring their horses from the track and they find homes for them in new jobs outside of racing. big props for them for ensuring these horses go onto new successful careers even if it isn't in their racing barns.

heres to hoping Kip pulls through!!

summerhorse
Jan. 6, 2010, 04:33 PM
Update in the Blood Horse today says he is improving.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/54672/kip-deville-making-good-progress

Mara
Jan. 7, 2010, 12:27 AM
The news does sound encouraging. I am not the biggest IEAH fan in the world, but Iavarone does really seem to care about his horses as living creatures and not just investments.

Should Kip Deville make it through, I really hope he gets an easy retirement. I know he'll be carefully managed. As much as I admire Claiborne, I always have thought it bordered on cruelty that they kept Nijinsky covering mares when he was crippled with laminitis. Not to say I don't think Kip Deville should be bred at all - just that I'd hate to see him relapse from being overstressed.

MintHillFarm
Jan. 8, 2010, 03:41 PM
The news that I read on the Blood Horse website today sounds promising. Hoping for another positive update soon....

Glimmerglass
Jan. 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
From the TB Times 1-8-10: (http://ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=44106)

“According to the doctors at Rood and Riddle [Equine Clinic in Lexington], Kip Deville continues to be stable, and they have been able to decrease the amount of pain medication he's on,” IEAH spokesman Michael Sherack said. “He's more comfortable and the doctors hope he can continue to move forward in his recovery.

“Obviously, we all know that we still have a long road ahead and remain hopeful for the best.”