PDA

View Full Version : What's the best thing you've won?

Catalina
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
I won a wooden hand made saddle rack from Difficult Run Horse Trials that I love, love, love :D. It is hanging on the wall of my tack room with my dressage and XC saddles on it and has been immensely useful.

What cool things has anyone else won?

NMK
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:27 PM
Maui Jim Sunglasses, very cool.

Nancy

subk
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
Personal silver and books belonging Miss Margaret Lindsey Warden. She founded Pony Club in the US and MTPC HT the oldest HT in the US. She used to give away some of her own things for prizes. A particular favorite is a wine bottle coaster that I still use all the time.

canterlope
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
The MJs are way cool, but I use my Carolina Horse Park Bar Stool more. It's the only thing in the barn tall enough to use as a mounting block to get on Randy Four-Legs, my homebred who was supposed to top out at 16.3 and is now pushing hard at 17.2 with no signs that he's finished with his vertical expansion.

GotSpots
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Not a "win", but the yellow/green completion ribbon at my first long format CCI. Best ribbon/prize I've ever "won".

Blugal
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
Agree with GotSpots (my ribbon and completion medals from long format CCIs).

The best prize so far was a rolling tack trunk - I won two on the same horse in the same year - his owner was VERY excited to have matching ones!

(Funny story behind that too - the first event, I trailered with two friends. We were entered in different divisions, and after dressage we were all leading. One of them said she had the feeling we'd all win, which we did. Then we had the major problem of fitting 3 of those monster tack trunks into the truck/trailer amongst the stuff required for 3 different competitors with 2 saddles each, no small feat!!)

shawneeAcres
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hands down the best thing was a case of beer!!! Seveal years ago when Six Pillar Farm HT was still being run, a beer distributor was a sponsor and the winner of each division got their choice of several types of beer, I chose a case of Amstel Light!

inquisitive
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:33 PM
Coolers :)

I am a cooler-whore I suppose. Once we get the barn built they're all going up on a nice wood and brass hanging rack :D

I did win a really nice wooden grooming box but its too pretty to use :lol:

Oh and a garment bag. That was very practical

scubed
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:20 PM
Completion ribbon and the silver frame for being 9th place adult amateur at CCI* long format at Morven. I used the frame for picture of my guy from his jog, one of the rare occassions he did not look like a pig pen pony :lol:

Heinz 57
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
The 'best' thing I've ever won was a trophy.

It was a gold plastic cross firing barrel horse ridden by a man with loopy reins, mounted on that goofy plastic marble-look stuff with the original plaque ripped off and our 'Halter Champion' one hot glued on. Whoever was in charge of gluing was not a master glue gun operator.

Ok, maybe 'weirdest' is more appropriate, but it was an open schooling show and I'm still proud of my TB mare taking champion over all the stock horses in halter. We did a lot of schooling shows for exposure this year. :)

Eventing-wise, I'd have to go with the bag/pack with the farm's logo, filled with tack cleaning supplies. I also got one of the prettiest ribbons from that place.

Dec. 10, 2009, 04:44 PM
I have a Carolina Horse Park hat and an NCDCTA/WNAA saddle pad, and I love them, esp now that I've relocated to California, I use them quite often and they a) remind me of the shows I won them at, and b) spark conversations which has helped me make friends and contacts.

carrie_girl
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
I won a saddle (Stubben Siegfried CS) for being the training level series champion at Showpark (alas is no longer an event) back in the nineties. It is a med/wide tree and does not at all fit my current med/narrow boy, but I refuse to sell it. That show also used to give out jackets if you won your division, and they were really nice. It was kind of a "status symbol" to warm up in a Showpark jacket because the only way to get one was to win one. I won a couple and still have one hanging in my closet. It is warm and comfy to ride in when the weather is a bit chilly!

Ajierene
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
The best award I ever won was a plaque for the sportsmanship award for a show series where I rode in high school. It was very surprising. I was not told about it beforehand, but won it for all the work and help I willingly did there, including helping the little lesson kids tack up for lessons and clean tack for shows, clip the ponies and just always be available. I have won material objects as well (including a 2.5ft tall trophy for year end high points from the same place, same year), but that plaque is always the most dear to me.

Bobthehorse
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:05 PM
A very nice wool cooler and 200 bucks. Unusual though, it was a championship.

denny
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
I won a little yellow rubber duck in the "pitch til you win" booth at the Tunbridge, Vt World`s Fair.

Ajierene
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:13 PM
I won a little yellow rubber duck in the "pitch til you win" booth at the Tunbridge, Vt World`s Fair.

You reminded me of the fish I won at our local town fair! It lived for about 7 years at my neighbors because we did not have a fishtank at the time. I did eventually get a fishtank and took him when he was the last fish they had. He lived another 5 or 6 years with me, terrorizing any other fish I tried to keep.

asterix
Dec. 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
hahaha, denny, I have a collection of rubber duckies given to me as gag gifts from the college riding team I used to coach. I used to tell them to imagine they were holding rubber duckies in their hands -- grip too hard, and they squawk; bend your wrists the wrong way and you bonk their heads on each other, the withers, etc. :D

Most useful thing I ever won was some very clever white show pads from Fleeceworks -- you get two white square pads, and one set of nice sheepskin panels that velcro on to the underside of the pads...that way you can bleach the pads, and baby the sheepskin. Only pads I show in for dressage now...

Auburn
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
I loved the plaques that MidSouth PC gave this year. They combined three tiles, with each phase pictured, into a frame. The tiles are white and the images are painted with cobalt blue. The plaque is unique and quite lovely.

The hand painted pottery bowls and dishes that MSEDA gave last year are beautiful, too.

The two pink ribbons from the 2008 USEA year end awards, probably mean the most. Never in my wildest dreams did I believe that I could achieve those. Wonders never cease to amaze me! :)

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
At IEA's training 3 day in May I won "Best Conditioned Horse" and "Ironmaster" awards. I got a hand painted wood plaque of my horse and a custom saddle pad. Those were definitely cool, but my absolute favorite award was Area VIII's "Young Horse of the Year" award. Shortly after receiving it, my young horse died... I'll never throw that stable sheet away!

retreadeventer
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:34 PM
I am grateful for everything I have, the useful items are the best.

I don't have a favorite, probably a crystal jam pot with a real crystal spoon I won in Canada as a kid. I have a silver oil and vinegar set too, my mother has that.

Olney gave out these beautiful little silver boxes with checks in them for wins and I was very lucky to get one a couple years ago. Such a special gift for a small intimate event on a family farm! Puts the big, fancy events to shame IMO.

Eventing wise I have been screwed a couple times on wins. I won a division at Radnor, but they gave out three $500 first prizes to the junior division, and two open divisions, and not the fourth adult division which was mine. I got a blue ribbon and my dressage test for that win.

I won at an event this summer where the prizes were all new tack items, and my division was the last one to complete and finish, and all that was left was a baby saddle pad -- while other winners that day got $200 stirrups, embroidered wool coolers, etc. However, I was very proud of a clean stadium round at that event and that is a very satisfying memory, well worth any little token.

I think the idea of having something unique and special is very important, like the Showpark jackets. It's not so much tack, a check, or silver, but that someone put some thought into honoring the winner with a unique item they could not buy or get anywhere else. That makes a win special.

I have a sixth place ribbon from Whidbey Island Pony Club Horse Trials from 1984, a white stained and fragile ribbon from EI's three day event at Mountain Meadows, and a blue ribbon from the second ever horse trials put on by my friend Cindy Burge at her family farm, Deep Creek. I cherish those as the finest silver.

Gry2Yng
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:34 PM
Shortly after receiving it, my young horse died... I'll never throw that stable sheet away!

So sad. Nice to have a beautiful memory.

I won a brown barn coat at what was then Wayne HT (now Maui Jim). Flutie told me it was the ugliest jacket she had ever seen, but I made it look good. I loved that jacket and Flutie for her kind words. It is no longer presentable, but I still have it. Same for the old grey gelding I won it with.

riderboy
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm still waiting for that first place ribbon! Honestly, the most important thing for me is to feel like I've had a good ride and not embarrassed myself. For me, anything else woud be great icing on the cake.

deltawave
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
Gosh, lemme see. It's not that my pile of loot is very large, but I have a short memory. :D

Most embarrassing thing I've won: a big trophy for the "Hopeful Hunter" class at the 4H show--my first show EVER--in which I'd entered thinking "Hopeful Hunter" applied to the RIDER, not the HORSE. The horse I rode was like 20 years old and had been a field hunter for probably 16 of those years. :lol: :uhoh: This was, I think, in 1979. :eek:

Most exciting: 1st place in a division of OP with Gwen in 2005. Never thought I'd ever have the guts to even jump one single, solitary Prelim fence, ever, before her. Thanks, Gwennie. :sadsmile:

Most tear-jerking: a Hunter Classic blue with Kelly (Bonnie's mom) only four months after I started riding her again after her God-awful and predicted-to-be "career ending" fetlock injury. :D (this was in like 1995/96--she's STILL sound, LOL) BIG silver plate and a nice photo of me grinning like an idiot with that mare that still sits in my office.

Coolest and most fun: 4th at the Training 3 Day at Mayfest back in 2004. :yes:

Saddest to think of: an equitation win (of ALL things, probably goes in the "funniest" category as well) at what turned out to be Gwen's last show, last class, last jump, in fact. :sigh:

Biggest pile o' loot: Either Gwen's year-end awards in 2005 (our banner year) from the Michigan Eventing Association, or Bonnie's big "DQ" day this summer, when she won all the 1st level stuff and a dressage "medal" class with a big cooler and medal, etc. Whee! :)

Total number of eventing ribbons collected the last 2 seasons: Ummm, ONE. A pretty green one from Indiana. :lol: I love eventing--keeps one humble! :D

WalkerEvntr
Dec. 11, 2009, 06:51 AM
Maybe not the best, but might take the cake on random...

First preliminary event ever, I ran at Pine Top and somehow won. They gave us rattle paddles, like the kind you might find at a cow pen...

It has been hanging on my wall for the past few years. Quite the conversation piece. :D

The other special win, was my second preliminary at the Florida Horse Park, also their inaugural event. That one was especially cool because my mom was riding BN and won her division too. :cool:

gooddirt
Dec. 11, 2009, 07:47 AM
Rattle paddle? Guess what - it's a horse loader. You can rattle it, touch 'em, pat 'em, or poke 'em if they don't want to load. Gentle but often effective.

canterlope
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:50 AM
WE, I have one of those paddles as well. Won it at Pine Top a couple of years ago. Although they are made for herding cattle, they do make great horse loaders.

faluut42
Dec. 12, 2009, 02:45 AM
My cooler that has Woodsides logo and 1st place, a really nice halter with a nameplate that says "The Event at Woodside", and a pair of Ariat boots.

nuts4cowboybutts
Dec. 12, 2009, 08:36 AM
We've won some beautiful and useful things. Not in eventing, but thought I'd share.

At the Kentucky Horse Park we won some of the silver Mint Julep cups which are lovely. We also won some beautiful crystal wine bottle chillers. We've won some big, fancy belt buckles. And our best one is a large World Grand Champion trophy which is a bronze sculpture.

LAZ
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
My favorite has been a paid entry and stabling. It was good for two years (meaning I didn't have to use it the next year).

retreadeventer
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah right, won a couple of those....but good only for 1 year .....
Get this - first one:
-- Entry good for 1 year, used it to enter the next event, event cancelled due to weather, and they wouldn't honor the entry at the next event within the same year! Come on. I should have sent the ribbon back so they could recycle it to another winner, can you say cheap....
-- Won entry riding at Novice level, entry good for one year, all subsequent events did not hold the level! Couldn't use it, horse not good enough to go a level up, and couldn't sell it or give it to someone else!

I hate it when they consider that a "prize". With the exception of one local event whose entries I do use. It's not unique, and while it is useful, it's not commemorative of a hard-worked-for win.
Altho one could say the same for a case of beer, but there is the enjoyment factor there! And you could always save an empty bottle and put it on your mantle!

teamwallace
Dec. 12, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hmm,
I'd say the stackhouse saddle,adequan,$$$, maui jim sun glasses, ice machine, and the cooler's of course.

Divine Comedy
Dec. 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Money, hands down. I used my prize money from third place at CO CCI* and Greenwood CIC* to buy my Dubarrys, so now they are basically my prize from those two events.

I also would love to get saddle pads embroidered with the event's name or logo. Can always use saddle pads.

If I were a professional, I would really love coolers. However, as a college age ammy with a super tiny apartment already bursting to the gills, a cooler is not terribly useful for me.

deltawave
Dec. 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
I dunno, I'd much rather have a stable sheet or wicking garment than one of those big, square coolers that go from ears to tail.

frugalannie
Dec. 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
Have to say that I'm in the "not a cooler, thank you" crowd. I did win one, once, at Huntington. One of my favorite wins because I beat Denny :lol:. But the cooler was about 4 sizes too small for my mare, and she was one of my smaller ones! So, size is an issue with those.

My favorite prize is a red with silver-gray trim saddle pad embroidered with Ledyard Farm from one of their last events. Still in mint condition as I only use it during deer hunting season. I have a a pair of Groton House saddle pads as well, which I love When we go out hacking this time of year, each horse gets to wear one and we look sharp.

Thames Pirate
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:56 AM
I'm too much of a loser to have won anything except a pair of trophies where I was the only one in the class at a schooling show (3' hunter and 3' jumper). I have never really won anything--a few ribbons (never higher than fourth at a recognized).

I have never won anything of significance except my fiance's heart. That's enough for me, though.

eventingismylife
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:56 AM
I think really the only "prize" that means a lot to me is the Perri's plaid colored break-away halter with matching cotton lead for the show jumping division at Pony Club Pacific Coast Champs this last August along with the gold medal and championship ribbon. I think it was more of the satisfaction that my team won with their home bred, back yard ponies, instead of the 10k+ WBs and TBs. Haha.
I think the coolest thing I won was the 3rd place stable manager ribbon that I won at a regional qualifying show jumping rally that Karen and David O'Connor autographed as well as Amy Tryon. :D

retreadeventer
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm too much of a loser to have won anything except a pair of trophies where I was the only one in the class at a schooling show (3' hunter and 3' jumper). I have never really won anything--a few ribbons (never higher than fourth at a recognized).I have never won anything of significance except my fiance's heart. That's enough for me, though.

Oh Thames you are not a loser. You're a valued COTH poster and that's blue ribbon worthy in my book! And winning someone's heart is indeed of great value. Make SURE you smile when you think of yourself as a winner. I will. :)

Desert Topaz
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
A hooded sweatshirt with the riding club's logo embroidered on the left chest. One of those prizes that can live in your closet or a drawer forever or you can wear it to death and throw it away :D

Thames Pirate
Dec. 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Oh Thames you are not a loser. You're a valued COTH poster and that's blue ribbon worthy in my book! And winning someone's heart is indeed of great value. Make SURE you smile when you think of yourself as a winner. I will. :)

Aww, thanks. I didn't mean it in a negative way--just that I have never managed to get all three phases together at the same show. I suffer from show nerves, which means my dressage and SJ are usually not so hot. Twice now I have had great dressage tests (and one of those a good SJ round but for one tiny mistake, one of those a PERFECT SJ round until a mistake that caused me to take a funny nosedive). Those were the only two shows in which I've had XC stops (and both were footing related) in recent memory. I have the worst horse karma of anyone I know (ask anyone at my barn).

My biggest prize IS my engagement ring because the guy who gave it to me had always said he would never get married. I wouldn't trade it for an Olympic medal!

Jane Honda
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
I had taken over a year off of riding after high school. So, on a whim, my best girl friend and I decided to show our horses. We would ride her gelding in the riding classes (her western, me English) and would show my yearling filly in the halter and showmanship classes.

Mind you, I hadn't been in the saddle for well over a year, and the only time I had spent a significant amount of time was on her gelding the day before the show to fit my equipment on him.

We entered into the show with the simple plan to have fun.

I ended up walking away with English High Point award for the day. I never knew about it until I read it in the paper. I even won over my former training job employer's daughter that spent 4 years at a University for English riding.

I still have that platter, and is the pride and joy of my showing career. It's been forever since I have shown, and I can't wait to get back into the ring...

ThirdCharm
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:51 PM
I like coolers, too.... I have a NCDCTA Horse of the Year cooler that my mare got at Preliminary, and a Modified Jumper championship cooler she won the same year I think. Second place in Area II at Prelim we got a nice leather lead shank the next year. Hoping NCDCTA does coolers this year too :-)

Jennifer

bambam
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:15 AM
My favorite is a cheesey trophy (picture the trophies you got as a kid in the 70's and 80's- it is blue and silver plastic and metal :D) for winning the 18 inch Elementary division at a local unrecognized HT on my gelding. I had bought him 6 years before to be my serious event horse but, because of injuries, that was our first horse trial. It had been a long road of rehab from the worst of his injuries and the fact that he survived and recovered enough to be able to jump at all is nothing short of a miracle.

smokescreen
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have won a gorgeous embroidered cooler and a big check. I will say that since moving to Aiken the idea of winning something cool has gone away. IF there is a prize at all it's likely to be a plastic coffee cup, ball cap, or t shirt from the sponsor. The events don't put any thought into there prizes, but then again they don't have to. They know they would fill up even if they didn't give out ribbons. Dang now they are going to read this and stop giving out ribbons.:lol:

Catalina
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:38 AM
I also would love to get saddle pads embroidered with the event's name or logo. Can always use saddle pads.

I love winning saddle pads; I have two from MDHT and one from Middleburg H.T. that says Novice High Point Rider 2009 on it :). Saddle pads are great because they are just so practical.

CookiePony
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
I won a couple of saddle pads this year and one of them was the Moxie Bamboo pad, which is really nice and I use it all the time. I will probably buy one in the future.