PDA

View Full Version : Safe heat lamp for barn cat?

Mozart
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
I think I want to get my ageing, solitary barn cat a heat lamp. I am pretty fire paranoid though. I am thinking something suspended from the ceiling would be best? Would a poultry heat lamp be appropriate?

Any words of advice for me?

sk_pacer
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:19 PM
I use a brooder lamp and the infrared bulbs. Check Federated Co-op or Peavey Mart.....they should have some kicking around somewhere - too early for 'chicken season' but some hold over stock. Stupid Peavey Mart website has changed and you can't view things anymore. At any rate, they also have pet supplies including heated beds/houses

shea'smom
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
I tired a regular heat bulb for a dog and it caught a piece of wood on fire! Freaked me out.
I got some of those cushions that hunters sit on that hold body heat for my barn cats. They are still figuring them out, but I hope they work.

stryder
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
You might look into something like this boat dryer:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/245832/377%20710/0/boat%20heater/Secondary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=boat%20heater&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=boat%20heater&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=380

We have some older models that don't have the circulating fan. They're self-contained, so can't come in contact with anything and catch fire, and they draw very little electricity.

The heat is very low temp, so a cat could probably sit on it. I've used them as foot rests in a cold office (so great!).

horsepoor
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:13 PM
I think I have seen some disk things that you put in the microwave to heat up and then insert in your cat/dog bed -- they are supposed to stay warm for some time and would be totally safe. I would be very reluctant to have a heat lamp in a barn, but I'm really paranoid about fire.

Don't do as the BM at one barn I was at did: to be nice to her kitties, she put a heat lamp IN the washer, pointed at the lid. Nice idea, in concept -- heated up the lid, kitties had a warm place to sleep. None of us boarders knew about it until later that evening we were smelling burning and investigated, finding the lamp was melting the washer tub plastic -- eek! I hate to think what would have happened if we hadn't noticed. BM was pretty embarassed about it, and the cats survived the cold without any more "help"!

Diamondindykin
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:16 PM
I bought my ridiculously spoiled barn cat Molly a heater last Christmas. It is a regular floor heater that will shut off if knocked. I put it on a low shelf in the tack room pointing on her chair. She also just got a heated pet bed. With the cold temperatures that we are having in Washington State right now she isn't coming out of her room at all.

bird4416
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
My cat has a heated bed. He loves it. I think it is safer than a heat lamp.

Diamondindykin
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
My cat has a heated bed. He loves it. I think it is safer than a heat lamp.

It also uses less electricity!! When I first bought Molly's I didn't thing that it got warm enough but when she lays on it, it gets really warm. She loves it!!

Minerva Louise
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'd go with one of these:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=e53aaf66-347a-4789-afcc-5d6fa77ed8b6

No fire danger at all with one of them. My friend Dana in Idaho uses them and says they are great and the heat lasts. She started getting them for the dogs but I think she got a few she now puts in bed with herself, too!

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:27 PM
[quote=horsepoor;4548716]I think I have seen some disk things that you put in the microwave to heat up and then insert in your cat/dog bed -- they are supposed to stay warm for some time and would be totally safe. I would be very reluctant to have a heat lamp in a barn, but I'm really paranoid about fire.

The heat disks are great! You can heat more than one (altho one is sufficient for the night) and place them under a blanket and they stay warm. Drs Foster and Smith and other catalogues have them. And they last for, well we're on our 5th year now and they are doing great.

I was at a barn with a foaling stall with the heat lamp in it, and it was really warm and did not cause any problems. But any thing that is electrical can cause a fire. (My father was an electrical engineer and he drummed that into my head all my life.)

islgrl
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
I got some of those cushions that hunters sit on that hold body heat for my barn cats. They are still figuring them out, but I hope they work.

What are these? I was just trying to figure out what to do for our barn kitty. I don't want anything electric and we don't have a way to heat up the microwave disks....

cloudyandcallie
Dec. 10, 2009, 03:48 PM
What are these? I was just trying to figure out what to do for our barn kitty. I don't want anything electric and we don't have a way to heat up the microwave disks....

You can heat your disks at home and take them to the barn. Altho they are only good for about 10-12 hours, I forget how long, so if you heat and take in the morning, they won't last thru the night. Unless you get someone who goes after work, and heats a disk in the office microwave. Since people steal food and drinks, it would be interesting to find a cat disk in the office microwave! Let someone try to eat that.:lol:

JoZ
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have a hunch that calling the disks "Snuggle Safe" and putting them in a pet catalog sends the price up exponentially. Is anyone aware of a different source or application for the same thing? Even something at Cabela's or Camping World (or army surplus) might be better. With 9 barn cats I can't pay 3 or 5 or god forbid 9 times almost $30!

SLW
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:39 PM
I use a brooder lamp and infrared bulb on a timer for my old girl. It's suspended from the wall and probably 18"-20" above her bed.

horsepoor
Dec. 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
So a little OT, but even more HR -- now that someone linked to the snuggle safe (heat-up disks), would it work to heat one up and plop it in a horse's water bucket to keep it from freezing? I was thinking that would be a nice, safe option where heated buckets aren't allowed, but wasn't sure it would really work. Of course, with my herd of foolish warmbloods, they'd be fishing it out of the water to play with it, so don't think I will really try it, but it had me thinking...

Mozart
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Or should I say, my cat thanks you!

Alice
Dec. 11, 2009, 03:59 PM
Canvasbackpets.com has the indoor/outdoor heated pets bed at 30% off right now. We have one for the dogs but the cats are constantly on it.

The goats in the barn have a chicken heat lamp in their stall. I'm not entirely comfortable with it, but it does have a cage around it that would hopefully stop it from setting fire to something should it fall.

Mozart
Dec. 11, 2009, 04:49 PM
Canvasbackpets.com has the indoor/outdoor heated pets bed at 30% off right now. We have one for the dogs but the cats are constantly on it.

The goats in the barn have a chicken heat lamp in their stall. I'm not entirely comfortable with it, but it does have a cage around it that would hopefully stop it from setting fire to something should it fall.

Alice, do you suspend the heat lamp from the ceiling of the goat stall?

I think a heated pet bed on the "cat condo" would require an extension cord. I wonder what is safer....suspended heat lamp or extension cord....

BasqueMom
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Here's link to the cushions that don't need electric or microwaving.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat602420&id=0067502290421a&navCount=2&podId=0067502&parentId=cat602420&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=2UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

All of $4.99. Don't know how well they work but we bought one as a giggle
for my mom who is a tiny little 84-year old and always cold. We shall see....
Have seen them flying out of the store. One lady last night had a whole cart full of them--they were for a Boy Scout troop.

Kestrel
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:41 PM
I bought my outdoor kitty a heated bed. It's completely sealed in hard plastic, so it's not cushy w/o a pad on it, but it's totally water resistant. The cord is wound with wire, so I doubt that it could be easily chewed by a cat. It doesn't get all that warm, but kitty spends pretty much the whole day on it. It's inside his crate for extra warmth.

I recently saw that Smartpak had some nicer looking ones for outdoor use in their catalog.

Penthilisea
Dec. 12, 2009, 01:44 AM
I am cat sitting for an outside cat who has a regular desk lamp with a 75 watt bulb pointed at his kitty basket. He spends a lot of time in there (he is old) and it hasn't caught fire yet.... But it sounds like we might be the exception, ie do not try this at your home!

Watermark Farm
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
I bought a special heating pad made specifically for cats. Check the Foster Smith catalog. Works great for our barn cat and so far....no fire. Make sure it's plugged into a GFI outlet!

deltawave
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
For a cat I'd get a heated pad/bed made for the purpose. I have two brooder heat lamps in the chicken coop and pen, and although they have guards on them and I'm anal about keeping the dust off, the fact that the coop is IN MY BARN for the winter freaks me out a little.

I got a dog bed that has some stuff in it that's supposed to retain heat when the dog lies on it, but she much prefers to burrow into my open hay bales and make herself a nest. :mad:

SPF10
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
My husband took and old heated matress pad the was for a full size matress (we now have a king) and put it in the garage, the cat loves it, especially on the rainy cold days we have been having.

Mozart
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well, I went out and bought a heated pet bed. The temp in my barn is hovering around freezing. I plugged it it in...let it heat up...introduced Kitty to bed.."Kitty meet warm bed". Felt like a hero.

I come in this a.m. Where is kitty? Back in regular bed.

Cats. Sigh......:rolleyes:

mjmvet
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:59 PM
Heat lamps are extremely dangerous in my opinion - I bought a "K&H" brand pet bed. It stays a few degrees above ambient temp. until the cat sits on it, then warms to body temp (102). They love it, and no fire risk.

https://www.debnroo.com/Pet_Bed_Warmer_Heating_Pad_by_K_H_Manufacturing_P1 492.html?r=gp

SmartAlex
Dec. 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
My mom recently came up with a cute idea that the cats seem to love. She took an empty paper feed bag, and put an old towel in it. and layed it on top of our feed totes. Now each barn cat has her own "kitty sleeping bag". The paper layers offer some insulation, and you know how kitties like to hide in stuff.