PDA

View Full Version : TB Pedigree help... thanks

LeeB10
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:48 AM
Since perusing the eventing forums I have read most of the pedigree posts and went to the TB websites. My daughter has a jumper horse that is KWPN/TB cross and I never thought much of the TB cross in her but since reading these forums I did look up the pedigree from that side of her. Do the dams matter much in breeding? Her name is Tiz Telley's Girl, her father is Telstar out of Nimmerdor and her Mother is Laura May out of Great Tom/Vital Mark. We got her green, truly green, so I don't know what the intention of the breeder was with her but I know what we decided she could do.

Here is her TB pedigree:

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=1169637&registry=T&horse_name=Laura May&dam_name=Vital Mark&foaling_year=1988&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

I looked up the horses on the TB bloodlines webpage but still am not familiar enough regarding what one looks for in TB lines. I believe that these are good but are they or are they crossed a little much? I am thinking of the future as I believe we will be keeping this particular horse forever.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:54 AM
Do the dams matter much in breeding?

LOL...as much as mothers matter in producing a human child:) But yes...the dams matter a lot.

I let someone better than me talk on her pedigree. But I would say that the TB is contributing a lot to your nice jumper. And there are many top show jumpers that are mostly if not all TB.

The great Gem Twist for example...who is still one of the best show jumpers ever in my book...was 100% TB.

subk
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
Only have time for a glance...

Cool to see Prince John on the first page as top line sire. His son Transworld is one (if not THE) leading U.S steeplechase sire of all time. His son Lonesome Glory might be the greatest US chaser of all time.

LeeB10
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/telstar6

This is her sires line and it is interesting to note that there are quite a few thoroughbreds there too. We were familiar with Telstar and his offspring when we got her but not with her TB side. She was green but could jump and the vet said she had the cleanest xrays he had seen in a really long time. She is hot and sane at the same time and the bravest, most honest mare ever. (am a bit biased here)

subk
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
This is her sires line and it is interesting to note that there are quite a few thoroughbreds there too.
Not really. WB breeders incorporate TB blood into their product with regularity. It's is probably more unusual to NOT see TB in a WB pedigree--especially if they jump. The winner of this years Pau**** was a "Holsteiner" with 7/8 TB blood.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 10, 2009, 04:15 PM
I took a quick look at her pedigree....funny, similar line breeding to a mare I used to own. (with doubling up on Princequillo and also had Prince John. My mare had Grey Flight through one of her daughters and Turn-to up close as well though)

15.3 chestnut mare...HOT HOT HOT...hot as a fire cracker. She HATED dressage and was a BI*CH to jump anything under 4' (not ratable...wouldn't listen). But MAN she could jump. Eventing wasn't for her....nothing was big enough xc to justify her listening to you...she was too too bold xc.

She went on to be a very good show jumper. Great speed horse.