PDA

View Full Version : Individual paddock sizes and space between?

lindasp62
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:51 PM
What is everyone's individual turnout paddock dimensions? And, how much spacing between paddocks (that don't have a shared fence line)?

strawberry roan
Dec. 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
Regarding your space between, you have to figure what will ever go down it: tractor? mower? riders? and figure accordingly. I did mine 12' and it has worked for my place. :)

hntrjmprpro45
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:30 PM
We have a variety of paddock sizes. The smallest are 20'x50', medium ones are 30'x50' and large one is 70'x110'. We don't have spacing in between the paddocks (due to limited space) but I would think a minimum of 10' would be good but 15'ish would be ideal.

ens0613
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:33 AM
The paddocks at my barn are 40' by 60', with about 12' in between each (great for driving tractors down, riding in between the paddocks, etc) :)

tuckawayfarm
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
My smallest paddock is 50X100 and I have had to use electric tape to make it much smaller for rehab, so if I was starting over, I would make at least one no larger than 40X50. None of my paddocks or fields share a fenceline. I have 8-10' between. Enough to prevent conflicts and still easy to mow :)

twofatponies
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'd definitely judge space between based on the kinds of motor vehicles you'd like to be able to drive in - tractor, small truck, etc.

CatOnLap
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
my smallest run out is 20 x 30 and the largest is 30 x 50. I have a large paddock for 2, that is 90 x 50 with a double shed. Spacing of 14 feet for aisleways is great for tractor drivers like me who sometimes forget where the bucket is...

FraggleRock
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:43 PM
80 X 100 is my smallest. all my paddocks are attatched and i made new gates so that i can open them up as one big one. so i have 3 paddocks (average 100 X 100 each), all open to three horses. i can not imagine having anything smaller than any of those even if i was putting them out alone. the whole point of turnout is so they can run and move and be horses.

my last horse came to me after being in a 40 X 60 turnout by himself for a few months (with some additional exercise aswell). he had nooo muscle tone at all. i turned him out with my other horses, he put on tons of weight and muscled right up. hes lazy, doesnt run much at all and i wasnt working him at all. but just having a little space to actually move improved his muscle 110%.

i really can not imagine calling a 20 X 30 even a 40 X 60, a paddock..... :confused:

lindasp62
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
80 X 100 is my smallest. all my paddocks are attatched and i made new gates so that i can open them up as one big one. so i have 3 paddocks (average 100 X 100 each), all open to three horses. :

I am trying to get a visual...you have 3 paddocks, and the way the gates are configured (across from each other?), you open the gates of the paddocks you want to join, creating an "aisle" for the horses to go between the paddocks? But, you can still close the gates to keep separate 3 paddocks?:confused: How wide are your gates? I like the idea of this if I am understanding correctly! Do you have any photos?

FraggleRock
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:08 PM
i would have liked to have had them all side by side with the middle paddock having 3 gates (one to outside and one on each side to the other paddocks). but because of the shape of the property and the fact that two of the paddocks were here when i moved in, its not quite like that. in some what like an L shape. picture two paddocks side by side (attached no, aisle between them). and each with a gate to the outside. then i put a gate in the middle fence so that i can open it up and use both paddocks as one or seperate to two as needed. then i built a third paddock in front of one of these, so the old gate to the 'outside' now opens into the new paddock. so i have two paddocks with gates to outside and the middle paddock with two gates (non to the outside as its on the edge of the property). i have the two middle gates open permenately right now so that the horses have one big space but if needed or when riding we can seperate. only issue is that the middle paddock does not have an outer gate so if you used it for 3 seperate turnouts you would have to go threw one paddock about 15ft to get to the middle paddock. if this was done so that the paddocks were all side by side i think it would work well.
i really dont ever turnout my horse by themselves so i would love to have one open turnout. but it is technically my boyfriends barn so i cant tear down the fence in case he ever gets his own horses again lol.