PDA

View Full Version : Help to keep horses from going to Puerto Rico

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by FatDinah.....

Check out the FInger Lakes thread on Off Course, http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232556

where COTHers helped prevent Karakorum Patriot, a longtime campaigner, from going to Puerto Rico. Instead, KP is headed to the new Old Friends in NY.

There are also numerous horses at risk in the few days at the NY state racetrack. Some are being offered for free, including two beautiful mares

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1139

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1135

and a lovely older mare

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1152

ALL for FREEEE!

If you have space for one of them or any of the others, please check it out.

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 03:59 PM
This was reposted from an earlier thread where I was trying to track down a trainer in PR. I tracked a horse I had known and wanted to adopt after his racing days were over...

Unfortunately, in Honor and Pleasure's case, his trip to PR was a one-way ticket. He was euthanized after his last race of the meet. It's a dumping ground for the horses that are no longer cutting it at Suffolk Downs and Finger Lakes, and is almost always a one-way trip.

I found this out through a horse rescue down there - yes, there is one, and the lady who runs it does an amazing job with very little help - but the problem is too big for one small group with no sort of fundraising coming in.

FatDinah
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
Let me clarify: Every horse on the Finger Lakes list is not destined to go to Puerto Rico. But some are definitely at risk of that or another unhappy next stop.

And it is fun reading the story of how Karakorum Patriot wound up at Old Friends rather than a plane to Puerto Rico.

danceronice
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
Like Fat Dinah said--PLEASE don't assume every horse at Finger Lakes on the trainer listings is at risk of going to Puerto Rico. Some/most are not. Many of the trainers are very nice to deal with. I just brought a horse home who's exactly as described, sold because he's just not competitive and the trainer just wanted a good place for him.

HOWEVER--they are expensive to overwinter, and many are going to farms in NY or other tracks when their owners and trainers would MUCH rather find a new home for them. And are in many cases ready to deal to move them on...call now, get a deal, trailers leaving this weekend! Check the off-course forum for some shippers who are getting loads together.

FatDinah
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:11 PM
Yes, these are gorgeous horses, not broken-down sad cases.

Someone snapped up a Fusaichi Pegasus son!

Shipping prices are silly low, too, on some of the group rides, too. I think vans are going to Virginia and KY/TENN/Ga. and Canada.

Louise
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:27 PM
These are, indeed, wonderful horses. Fat Dinah and Danceronice are absolutely right. These horses aren't hard cases, they are nice horses, looking for good homes. They're just done with their racing careers.

And, by no means is every horse listed destined for Puerto Rico if not placed. Their trainers just know that it is time that they moved on, and, in most cases, want them to land safely.

Just FYI -- here is the Fusaichi Pegasus son that someone was lucky enough to get just a few days ago.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1470/5975278/20150218/379076325.jpg

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:41 PM
No, not every horse posted is headed for PR - but for those that are, it's a one way trip.

Honor and Pleasure was bred in Florida, a Northern Afleet son. His mother was my old event horse who went on to be a brood mare after her eventing career. (I was not the breeder)

He was claimed early on thanks to Afleet Alex's success and had moments of glory surrounded by horrid races. He kept getting sold for less and less, and last year I tracked him down but he was not "available" at that time.

It looks like he went to PR at the end of the 2008 Suffolk Downs season where he ran 3 races a month until he broke down. It's not a happy end for a horse. I'm glad to hear about Karokorum Patriot escaping that fate but many horses still end up there.

The sad truth about PR is that rescue cannot keep up with the supply of horses coming in and it's prohibitively expensive to bring the horses back to the mainland so most end their racing careers being euthanized.

MintHillFarm
Dec. 9, 2009, 06:34 PM
I am sorry for your loss of one you wanted, I really am...

There is a very long thread on Off Course that contains many happy endings of horses placed out of FLakes to all over the country and Canada, just in the last weeks. A lot of trainers were kind and happy that their horses got good homes. I got one from there in October.

It's a shame that we can't save them all, but it is not for lack of trying though. The volunteers at Suffolk and FLakes are amazing!

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:00 PM
We brought in a trainer-owned boy from Suffolk a few weeks ago. Canter was wonderful to deal with and we just adore him. He's amazingly sound and sane. I took some convincing but was THRILLED with what we got and I hope more people will give serious consideration to helping one of these guys get a new start in life.

foundationmare
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:01 PM
Karakorum Patriot's trainer released the horse to Old Friends even though he did not have his sale price in his pocket. It's his discretion and I'm grateful that he released the horse to his new home at Old Friends, which he well deserves.

In retrospect, I don't think the trainer would have let this particular horse go there.

It is an unfortunate reality that the horses that go to PR are doomed. I've stopped getting VirtualStable alerts for Sweet LaRizzi and Patchman. I think that's a bad sign. Patchy was a really cute boy and Rizzi was just plain tired. Still breaks my heart when I think of walking her onto that van last winter. I apologized to her every step of the way.

foundationmare
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:05 PM
If you haven't already done so, check out this thread:http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232556

There are so many incredible COTHers who have stepped up to give these horses new homes. These many dudes and dudettes have found spectacular homes off the racetrack. This is my best Christmas present ever!

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:15 PM
Sweet LaRizzi (trainer was Maximo Gomez) was still working last month but PatchMan dropped off the radar in June. He was under Sammy Garcia and Silent Stable Inc.

For what it's worth, I never got Virtual Stable reports on Honor and Pleasure once he went to PR. He dropped off my radar after he left Suffolk - Imagine my shock when I pulled his past performance just out of curiosity and realized he had still been running!

Caribbean Horse Rescue was wonderfully helpful about helping me track down Honor and Pleasure's trainer and finding his ultimate fate. They even went so far as to tell me that he had become lame in his right knee and that's why he was PTS in July.

They do a great job rehoming the TBs from the track but there are just too many TBs and not enough space in their shelter, not enough funds, etc. My Christmas bonus is going there... Canter is a fantastic organization but I think the need down there is more urgent.

MintHillFarm
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:44 PM
We brought in a trainer-owned boy from Suffolk a few weeks ago. Canter was wonderful to deal with and we just adore him. He's amazingly sound and sane. I took some convincing but was THRILLED with what we got and I hope more people will give serious consideration to helping one of these guys get a new start in life.

I got 3 from CANTER at Suffolk this year...all lovely horses. One of the volunteers kept checking on a mare I really wanted but her price was firm. She stayed in touch with me for weeks, looked in on the mare each weekend. Finally, as the meet came close to closing, the mare came home with me. These volunteers do great work.

I am glad to hear that you are happy with your new horse!

foundationmare
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
What in the world does Carribean Horse Rescue DO with the horses they take on? Do they provide rides on the beach for honeymooners, tourists? I don't have a great deal of confidence that these horses are well cared for. There simply aren't many options for ex-racers in PR.

danceronice
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1470/5975278/20150218/379076325.jpg[/IMG]

And someone somewhere got a total steal! That is possibly the most gorgeous horse I've ever seen on the trainer listings (with apologies to my own dear Lucky.)

JWB
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:04 PM
The Save A Horse program retrains and adopts out the TBs from the track. The horses there all seem to be in beautiful condition however there are way too many horses for them to save all of them.

I know many of the St. Croix pony club kids rode retired race horses. There was an active pony club on St. Thomas too at one point but it's been gone for some time. Although there are not as many options for the horses, there are SOME options for horses to end up in riding homes. There is an active horse show scene on the island on a smaller scale.

The program has a strong program of volunteers. I wish they had a web page beyond their facebook profile but you FB people, friend Horse Rescue Caribbean!