PDA

View Full Version : Frozen buckets...solar power?

Nojacketrequired
Dec. 9, 2009, 03:18 PM
I am a boarder and cannot use a plug-in bucket.
The buckets DO freeze throughout the winter.SOLID. I end up using two buckets, and heating water in a kettle for the empty one while I try to chip the ice out of the frozen one, for the next day.
Has anyone ever used any sort of solar panel to create a non-electric heated bucket? Or just to make circulating warm water?
I have NO idea how it might work or if it is even possible....But I'm just throwing that out there.
My mare's stall is on a wall that faces South, and has a window that is covered in the winter.
I've watched a few You-tube videos about just using convection and black hose attached to an outside, south-facing wall, to keep the water moving while it heats?
Any geniuses out there?
If you make millions, I want a cut.
And warm water.
NJR

dmalbone
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:38 PM
It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but have you at least tried insulated buckets instead of the standard ones?

egontoast
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
yes, NJR, I was going to suggest the insulated buckets too for your situation. . For example ( or make something similar yourself) :

http://www.kenduinnovations.com/catalog/PailsScoops.pdf

That is an Ontario company
http://kenduinnovations.com/contact.html

ToiRider
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:54 PM
I am a boarder and cannot use a plug-in bucket. NJR

What about asking the BO if you can hire an electrician to run electrical conduit to and install a GFI plug at your horse's stall?

Nojacketrequired
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Eggy...I sent a message to that co. I'll also check into the insulated bucket idea, but I've heard mixed reviews.
I have been told that heated buckets are not allowed. Period.

Besides...I wanted to be a MILLIONAIRE!

NJR

MistyBlue
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
For short term non-electric heated buckets until you can figure something better out try using Therma-Care heat pads. (or a generic version, they're cheaper) The lower back or shoulder ones are the largest. Stick one to each side of the bucket and then put that bucket inside another one to cover the pads and fill bucket. They'll produce heat for 8 hours, enough to keep the water from freezing.
I use those for defrosting things around here in winter too. A small section of pip that froze..wrap a therma-care around it and within an hour or two it's thawed. Same with a frozen handle on the frost free pump or anything frozen. No need to stand there with a blow torch or blow dryer, just slap a pd on and walk away.