PDA

View Full Version : Input please on clinic/camp format

LAZ
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hi everyone,

It's brutal here in central Indiana--so I'm inside & rather than do the house cleaning that I should be doing I'm thinking about next year's scheduling!

I just got back from the USEA annual meeting and am fired up from all the great educational opportunities that were offered so I'm thinking of how to manipulate that idea into something workable that I could offer here.

I'm thinking of putting together a camp sort of thing offering lessons with top people (to be determined) in all 3 of our disciplines as well as some educational talks/seminars on simlar veins to the USEA meeting (I thought Abigail Lufken's talk was great and would love to get her in).

I ran some numbers and figure a 4 day seminar would cost me in excess of $10,000, so my question to you guys is

A) would you be interested in such a thing?

B) would you be willing to pay up to $400 for it?

C) would you be interested in a less costly, unmounted option?

D) how far would you travel to attend something like this?

If you can think of anything else I've left off, please chime in!

Thanks for your help!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:58 PM
Here is something similar that was offered at the Carolina Horse Park (scoll down a little). You can talk to them about whether it was successful etc.

http://www.carolinahorsepark.com/events/clinic/

ETA: $400 for a 4 day clinic seems really cheap ....or did you mean 400 a day (or 1600)

LuckyStar
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:01 PM
Saw your area on the news this morning -- good call to stay warm and safe inside! Since I am avoiding house cleaning as well, here's my input...

A.) Yes, such things are usually interesting!

B.) $400 seems reasonable to have three top notch clinicians all in one place. Including stabling in the price would be attractive.

C.) Including some mounted and unmounted might be a good option, and help keep costs low.

D.) Distance would depend on the availability of similar, quality experiences in the area

JFS
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses any excuse to NOT clean the house, but with Christmas coming I need to get cracking!

Anyway Laz that sounds like a great idea but there are so many variables. Remember we had to cancel YR camp a couple of years ago and that was with Ian scheduled. Maybe you could piggy back it on with YR camp and that way you aren't taking the full financial responsibility.

Another piece of advice if you plan on doing it. Get the word out now and start taking deposits Jan 1st, that will at least give you an idea and people can spread out the payments over a longer period of time. Don't forget that Lucinda is going to be in your neck of the woods in mid June.

I, on the other hand, am doing a lower level camp at our place before our unrecognized event and we'll have 3 ICP instructors Sue, myself & maybe Kyle if he doesn't have a job by then :) Low overhead, no travel expenses etc.

Wee Dee Trrr
Dec. 9, 2009, 06:08 PM
Do it. You know you want to. :)

The unmounted option would be nice for those of us that really want to ride, but are not sure the horse is going to be ready. Do you have a $ amount on just unmounted?

Hey Mickey
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:32 PM
I would come, (I think your about 3 hrs from me),
I would say that my barn boss would probably come also, and probably my only eventer friend that is my age.

My main thing, is need time to budget, and get the money saved up. (although having it more than $450 or so would be really hard for me).

I really can't come up with anything useful to say... my brain is Jello. today was the last day classes.

enjoytheride
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:16 PM
Would you need to take all the lessons or could you do a lesson then the rest lecture?

Would it attract more people to split up the lessons/lectures into once a month?

What about a lecture only option and then an auditing fee to watch.

retreadeventer
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:36 PM
You go girl. You know how we all love cat and dog hair. Good insulation and creative dressing accessory.

That sounds so exciting. I wish I were closer and would hope you could get a whole bunch of kids and adults to come and enjoy themselves!

You gotta have at least one meal together. Eating together is a great thing and creates friendships... the first day can be potluck because people can bring things with them. And you should have one of those farmer neighbors who can grill for another meal - good way to use up that side in the freezer!

NMK
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:28 AM
Great Idea LAZ. Can you schedule it before an event that may be somewhat close? That woudl be ideal.

N