PDA

View Full Version : Question...

WhyGeorgia
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure if I should post this here, or in the racing forum.

I have a 10yr old OTTB, and I would love to learn more about his breeding. The only problem is that his tattoo number is pretty much impossible to read, and the "papers" that came with him are just the brisnet records that you type in the tattoo number to get.

If I'm reading the race records correctly (it's completely possible that I'm not) he finished his last race in July of '03. When I look at his USEA records, he completed his first recognized event in May of '03. Now, unless he was race training and event training at the same time:lol:...I don't think this is the same horse!

Pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/signal+crossing

Anyway, I have no idea how I could figure out who he really is. I've heard of people doing DNA testing, but is that the only other option? Has anyone tried this, and if so would you mind explaining how it's done?

ETA: He's my forever horse, who I do some lower level eventing with. It really won't matter if I never figure out who he is, I just like to know all that I can about my guys!

TIA!

AUeventer
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:55 PM
I had my vet read my old OTTB's tattoo. Sometimes they are better at reading them just from experience. I think I saw a Y and he saw an X. Either way it completely changes what results you get!

Beam Me Up
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:28 PM
My horse has a largely illegible tattoo (his skin is sort of purple where the letter is) and I took many pics of both him and the tattoo and sent it to the TB Protective Bureau http://www.trpb.com/tatobrnd.htm and they ID'd him.

They did have an ID, which was correct geographically, kind of suspect in a couple others ways (my horse is a light bay, the horse they found was "dark bay or brown", my horse per my vet was ~3 yrs younger than the ID), but most likely correct all considered (I tried to get a win pic of the ID'd horse to double check but wasn't able to in the end). You could try that.

Mine is now retired here with me, so I suppose I don't care who he "really" is either.