PDA

View Full Version : advice on portable, cost effective run-ins...

bisous
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone with advice on cost effective run-ins? Can be portable but not necessary. And what size is good for 3-4 horses in each pasture... thanks much.

vineyridge
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone with advice on cost effective run-ins? Can be portable but not necessary. And what size is good for 3-4 horses in each pasture... thanks much.

I've known people who have bought those cheap metal carports for use as run ins. If you buy mobile home auger tie downs you can keep them portable. The metal sides add to the cost a good bit, but you can also add your own siding.

Also look at Klene Pipe structures and Horizon Structures. :)

As to size, it's going to depend on how well the horses get along together. If they are going to use the run in, compatible horses will cluster together very tightly. A two car size is more than adequate for 3-4 compatible horses. 12 x 24 is a very good size for a run in shed. JMHO

LauraKY
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:02 PM
Do you want to build yourself or have them built?

I wouldn't go with metal unless you install kickboards on the inside. Still leaves the outside exposed to horsey play.

Horizon Structures http://www.horizonstructures.com/run-in-sheds.asp has pre-built run-ins as well as kits. That would be my way to go, if I didn't have the handiest (and best) neighbor in the world who can build anything.

buck22
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:16 PM
a place I boarded at once used those shelter logic portable garages, worked just fine as a basic shelter.

Fancy That
Dec. 9, 2009, 02:03 PM
We have 3 big horses and 1 small pony that all live together. We put up "stall shelters" which are VERY open, but still have a half wall divider.

They live out 24/7 and this is where they eat thier hay and grain. They also use it religiously when it's raining. Oftentimes there may be 2 in one stall, but sometimes it's 1 in each.

Below are some older photos before we added the 4th stall shelter. We love these pipe panel with heavy duty plywood types. Bought the stall shelters used off of a ranch dispersal! Each stall is a little bigger than 12 x 12, so our total shelter is now 12 x 48.

Heres the old pics with only 3 stalls. The fourth was added where you see that gate (gate was moved)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/misc/DSC01693.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/misc/DSC01715.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/misc/DSC01727.jpg

Nojacketrequired
Dec. 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
I once saw someone who had purchased old box cars (The railroad keeps the undercarriage assemblies and sells the box cars for cheap-ish...or they used to!), and put them on a poured (?) pad. I think they had also made the front opening bigger, because I know they could get a front end loader in to clean it. Not sure what inside looked like, if they had kick boards or not.
They stood there for years and the horses used them. Could still be there for all I know.
These people also used two for a cottage in the middle of no-where. Had them delivered on a flatbed. I saw pictures and it was pretty cool. You'd never have known they were old box cars!

NJR

bisous
Dec. 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
Quick question for FANCY THAT... Are your stall shelters secured in the ground some how or just sitting there?? Thanks.

fordtraktor
Dec. 13, 2009, 06:39 PM
I don't think anything portable is all that safe. I like pole-barn sheds with metal roofs and board-and-batten sides. They are relatively cheap, last forever and are easy to do yourself once you get it framed/roofed. All you need is a saw, a nail gun and a day.

For 3-4 horses I would do 12 by 36. Face the opening south.

LauraKY
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:26 PM
Quick question for FANCY THAT... Are your stall shelters secured in the ground some how or just sitting there?? Thanks.

We looked at a boarding barn in Maryland and the owner told us how the run-ins were blown over during a strong storm. I'd be pretty leery of a run-in that wasn't secured in some way, unless you're in some part of the country that never gets strong winds

Plumcreek
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
"Portable" is a relative term. At a minimum, they must be secured by power jacking into the ground or heavy logging chains dropped into 4' deep holes then filled with cement.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
I just ordered a 10x32 run in / stall / storage room.

The run in is 10x12 with a swinging wall that opens up the stall so most of the time they will have a 10x24 run in.

For 2-3 horses I would suggest at least a 24 foot across run in. If you have to choose it's better to have it wider than deeper because if it's not wide enough a horse will stand across it and block entrance for the other horses.

I paid $5100 including delivery and it will come totally built.. meaning if I really wanted to I could hire another truck and move it if I ever leave.

DiablosHalo
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
Try contacting a local carpenter. Run ins are wicked easy to build! I priced materials for a 12x36 (bc I need 9 of them!)- post frame with 5' kick wall inside and tin siding/roof. Materials were $1500. I am paying a local carpenter $1000 each to build them- so ... 12x36 shed for $2500.

I have one existing shed that has been up for 7 yrs now- we're using that one as a blue print.

Romany
Dec. 14, 2009, 08:50 PM
System Fencing have a couple of options available - they're steel frames which include a base which is shaped like a skid, if that makes sense, and then you can either buy the wall material from them or DIY.

Great value for money, and definitely moveable with a tractor, but unlikely to blow over with the first wind storm.

Boomer
Dec. 15, 2009, 08:41 AM
For 3-4 horses I would do 12 by 36. Face the opening south.

I'm in MS and I've got the openings facing east. Most of our weather comes up from the Gulf (south) or from the North & West.