PDA

View Full Version : Eventing Barns Around Tulsa OK area?

gooselover
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:12 PM
Anyone know of anyone they would recommend or have experience with?

ksbadger
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:39 PM
Check out the OK Eventers website http://www.okeventers.us You might also want to contact their secretary, Lori, she's a member of the Tulsa PD Mounted Patrol (or was until the budget cuts). Airborne Stables, one of their business members, just south of Tulsa in Bixby is one of the few eventing barns in the area.
Wecome to Area 35!

Toadie's mom
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
Not sure if Airborne Stables is Meg Ferguson's barn, but I know she's in Bixby and comes highly reccommended. Also, Lee Johnson has a place south of Tulsa (Glenpool area?). Her son was a very good young rider some years ago, but I believe he's into reining now.

gooselover
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was going to use John Robertson at PL in Owasso, but heard he had left. He really wanted to do the eventers at the barn, but the barn wanted to stay hunter/jumper. From what I understand, it was a big loss to the community.

gooselover
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:30 PM
Airborne is Meg's place. I don't know anything about her - can anybody share any knowledge?

Dezi
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:59 PM
I travel 3-4 times a year from Little Rock to work with her and have sent several horses for tune-ups. She is very meticulous regarding care and truely loves her horses. She is a very good rider and has trained with the best. Plus you will never go hungry as her mom believes in feeding everyone on the farm!

Robby Johnson
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
Meg and Susie are family to me: I groomed for Meg for several years at the beginning of the decade - some horse trials but mostly just 3-days - and we have spent some wonderful times together. I hadn't seen them in several years until last year at Poplar and of course we took one look at each other and all burst into tears. That lasted about 2 minutes and then I was in the stall with Duffy getting him ready to head out to the show-jump warm-up.

Meg is an amazing rider and a stickler for details and proper development, but in a very nurturing, kind way. I cannot say enough fabulous things about her program.

gooselover
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any information on Lee Johnson & Runnymede in Glenpool, OK?? Thanks again!

Long Shadow Farm
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:44 AM
I would say that Meighan would be my first choice and Lee my second. Both are good, but if you want to go upper levels, Meighan's program is more in tune with that. Both are wonderful people. I loff Meighan and her mom..... I grew up in Pony Club with them. I still ride with Meighan when I can get her to come down to Central Oklahoma or we meet up at the shows. Welcome to Oklahoma! We have a very good set of people around here!

Bobbi

mpack
Dec. 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
HIGHLY Recommend Meighan great rider, teacher and a nice person too! Her Mom is a delight!

purplnurpl
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
OMG is Runnymede still around? What ever happened to Sean?

I just googled.
I didn't know Sean went towards Reining. very cool.
http://www.johnsonreining.com/

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:21 PM
OMG is Runnymede still around? What ever happened to Sean?

Sean quit riding after NAYRC's and he sold Vinny. He is now reining and kicking butt and is engaged/married. He is doing really well! He is still in Oklahoma.

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 01:58 AM
Well, if you're still looking, try Lily Pond Estates. It's a great facility, I just moved out because we built a barn of our own. By the way- I bought one of my horses from Lee Johnson, and I've heard that Sean's doing reining now!

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 01:59 AM
HIGHLY Recommend Meighan great rider, teacher and a nice person too! Her Mom is a delight!

One thing I've heard is that she tends to push you a little too hard. I've never ridden with her, but I have heard some things.

PrelimPinto
Jul. 6, 2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was going to use John Robertson at PL in Owasso, but heard he had left. He really wanted to do the eventers at the barn, but the barn wanted to stay hunter/jumper. From what I understand, it was a big loss to the community.

Just a heads-up, Prairie Lane is a pretty drama-filled farm!

Robby Johnson
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
One thing I've heard is that she tends to push you a little too hard. I've never ridden with her, but I have heard some things.

How 'bout you get some firsthand experience before you go dishing out the heresay?

Long Shadow Farm
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
I have to agree with Robby.

I have rode with Meighan off and on over the years and she has never pushed me passed my comfort zone. Actually I love riding with her and she is very positive and knows her stuff. I just wish she was closer. It's a 3 hour drive for me to get to her place or I would ride with her full time.

Bobbi