PDA

View Full Version : Saddle pad issue:(

Sparky Boy
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:17 PM
Ideally I'd like to see more pad showing all the way around. The worst fitting area is under the back of the saddle. They end up slipping forward under the saddle a bit until the back of the saddle is sitting on the very edge of the pad.

I'm riding in a 17" forward flap Stabilizer. How do I find a pad that fits bigger all the way around the edge of the saddle?

Sparky Boy
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:45 AM
Bump. Looking for shaped pads, either fleece or sheepskin. Maybe I should just get one that's meant for a larger 18" saddle?

hollyhorse2000
Dec. 9, 2009, 02:18 PM
Look at the Eco-Gold Web site. There is a hunter, shaped pad with fleece around the edges that goes up to a 19" saddle. The material doesn't slip. I have two of them and swear by them.

Sparky Boy
Dec. 9, 2009, 03:57 PM
How do the ecogold pads hold up for everyday use? Is it hard to keep them clean?

kellyb
Dec. 23, 2009, 10:26 AM
Look at the Eco-Gold Web site. There is a hunter, shaped pad with fleece around the edges that goes up to a 19" saddle. The material doesn't slip. I have two of them and swear by them.

Bumping this thread...how does the eco-gold compare to other 'non slip' pads? My saddle appears to fit correctly (and I am in the process of finding a saddle fitter to look at it) but with the way my horse is built, it always slips back. I have tried just about everything (wet chamois, baby pads, thinline pad directly on the back, sheepskin pads, those kitchen drawer no slip mats, etc) and it still moves. The eco-gold pads are costly, are they worth it?

Also with the eco-gold hunter pad (the fitted one that goes all the way around the saddle) do you feel a lot of bulk under the saddle? I tried a fitted ECP pad once - looked gorgeous but I felt like there was 3" of fluff between my leg and the horse.

Thanks!

hollyhorse2000
Dec. 24, 2009, 10:12 AM
I do use mine for "regular" riding and it's holding up fine. But it IS hard to keep white, though, so if I were showing, I'd probably have one set aside just for shows.

I do not feel it adds bulk under my legs.

I specifically ordered it for it's non-slip attributes, and it definitely does NOT slip. I also use one of the shims that you can also order (which attach via velcro) as I have a very assymetrical horse. I much prefer this option over a mattes half pad with shims, which I find slips. I should note that my "slip problem" is right to left (she has a much smaller right shoulder) and not front to back. I would think a front to back problem might be a saddle fit issue. I have a Black Country saddle with wither gussets to help with my "front to back" fit. If that makes any sense. If it were me, I'd wait until the saddlefitter checks your saddle before going to buy another (yes $$$) pad . . .