PDA

View Full Version : I got a "new" saddle - a Steele Old Timer

AlfalfaGirl
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
I have had major saddle fitting issues - my Billy Cook Trail 1546 left marks on my gelding. It is currently at BC to be evaluated.

I wanted to get something else to ride with and am wanting to ride in a beginner endurance ride at the 7IL Ranch on January 2nd - it is 12.5 miles so I was looking!

I found this Steele Old Timer in Louisiana and went to try it. I picked it up yesterday. It is 9 years old so it has seens ome miles. It came with a neoprene girth, a back flank cinch and a gel saddle pad all for $500. Woo Hoo. I do want to get a fleece seat and endurance stirrups. I currently ride in Crooked Stirrups but understand I won't need with with the Steele.

It has rained buckets so I haven't been able to get out to the barn to ride. Maybe tomorrow!

SouthernTrailsGA
Dec. 11, 2009, 07:55 AM
I hear that is a nice saddle and you got it for 1/3 the price, good job :D

Mersy
Dec. 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
So......have you tried it out yet?

AlfalfaGirl
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:57 AM
I rode in the arena a few days ago and it rides nice - it did roll on Red somewhat though - I think it is the neoprene girth because saddles generally don't roll on Red. The cantle is taller than my Billy Cook and that will take some getting used to. When I am standing on the ground, the Steele saddle's cantle is taller than my head! I will have to get used to swinging my leg higher both mounting and dismounting.

I am supposed to go riding with some friends afterwhile providing the weather is not the total pits. Yesterday it was a misting rain all day and it looks the same today.

The price on the Steele was one that I just couldn't pass up - even if I don't keep the saddle for a long time. I am hoping to shrink out of it!

candyappy
Dec. 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
I would check fit if it is rolling from side to side, unless he is built like a barrel :)

AlfalfaGirl
Dec. 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
I put a cotton girth on him and it didn't roll like with neoprene! It still slips somewhat. Red isn't built like a barrel but he is a pretty good sized ol' boy.

I like the saddle but would like to find someone with a Frontier or Outlaw Steele saddle that would like to trade!

I rode in it Sunday and it is a very nice saddle - but the pommels are not the size I am used to on a western saddle so that will just take some getting used to!!