PDA

View Full Version : Who should I use to ship coast to coast?

Jumper21
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:39 PM
Can anyone recommend a shipper for west to east coast transport?

There are so many out there that I'm lost in who to use or where to start. My friend used a wonderful shipper last year but he isn't doing it anymore! Arg and I thought this was going to be simple, just call and book the trip. Just my luck.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
I have always used GRiffinsburg Equine out of Virginia, they do a fabulous job and do several trips to west coast each year. I have had them ship many horses for me and they always do the best job! http://www.griffinsburgequine.com/horsetransport.htm

mvp
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:44 PM
If you can afford 'em, Blue Chip has had a great reputation for a very long time.

I used Mike Hubbard (big race horse shipper) long ago and was pleased.

In general, look for great office staff as a good first sign. The person you speak to should be able to quote you a price or get back to you in short order with one. They should also be able to tell you how often they set up trips, how long the trip will take for your horse (complete with lay-overs, and places where they do that), and what they'll want from you in terms of payment, paperwork, how much stuff you can ship with your horse.

The good shippers will be able to answer any questions you have about your horse's care en route, and can tell you about their communication with drivers. Don't be afraid of the shipper who advises you to send them unwrapped. Do be afraid of the shipper who doesn't think you need to have all your horse's paper work to them before your horse leaves his home state.

For 3,000 miles, I'd only send a horse in an air-ride van.

fatorangehorse
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:46 PM
Both take excellent care of the horses (if you can't afford Blue chip - they are the best)

dmacaramel
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:17 PM
Brookledge is the best.

DallasES
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:03 PM
I have used Equine Express before and they are fantastic to work with.

jollytrak
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:10 PM
second equine express! Just had them ship two horses for me last week - very good with communicating with the pickup/delivery places and keeping me informed :)

lizajane09
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:27 PM
Seconding Brookledge - they did an excellent job shipping my mare (who can definitely be a nervous traveller) long-distance.

two sticks
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Both take excellent care of the horses (if you can't afford Blue chip - they are the best)

I did not have a good experience with Hubbard. I don't think I am the only one. There were a few threads in off course or sport horse breeding about this, would be worth doing a search.

JumpingBug
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:21 AM
Have you thought about flying?

coast to coast was $3750. this year, so much nicer for the horses. Ours all arrived so much better than those that spend 3-7 days crossing thee country and the price difference was $595 for the hauler we wanted to drive coast to coast for a box stall.

AIR EQUINE
T: 858.759.2001
F: 858.759.2002
Toll Free USA
T: 888.247.2424

3DayMetro
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:58 AM
Another vote for Equine Express. They went above and beyond to make the trip an easy one. Professional and friendly from the first call I made for a quote to the calls I received from the drivers touching base with me along the way. Great communication and a beautiful new, clean, air ride rig with two drivers.My horse got off the trailer looking comfortable and rested, NOT stressed out!

hellerkm
Dec. 9, 2009, 06:05 AM
CAll Johnsons Horse Transportation, they are the only people we ever use and we are thrilled with their services!!

ktm2007
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:02 PM
I just shipped two horses coast to coast (one from Buffalo NY to Washington State, the other from Wellington FL to Washington State)

I used Nationwide, and they were fabulous! (based out of Colorado). Horses arrived in excellent condition, and the staff there is really nice. I received plenty of updates while the horses were in route. Their prices were very reasonable also

jollytrak
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:53 PM
I used Nationwide, and they were fabulous! (based out of Colorado). Horses arrived in excellent condition, and the staff there is really nice. I received plenty of updates while the horses were in route. There prices were very reasonable also

FYI - Nationwide is now with All State Horse Express (which I've used in the past) -- since combining, they never returned my phone calls to ship two horses :confused: hence why i went with Equine Express and so very happy I did, they are very professional!!!!!!

ktm2007
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:54 AM
FYI - Nationwide is now with All State Horse Express (which I've used in the past) -- since combining, they never returned my phone calls to ship two horses :confused: hence why i went with Equine Express and so very happy I did, they are very professional!!!!!!

http://www.nwht.net/

interesting, they called me back within minutes!

Flypony
Dec. 10, 2009, 02:20 AM
:):)Hubbard , they were fantastic, hauled all my horses to the track on race day, not one incident in 40 starts ... and that is across San Francisco. And brought 15 of my horses back into Canada through March it was handled proffesionally and with out incident every step of the way, and the trip into Canada was the first for them , not a hiccup , and the drivers were good horseman. Who listened to the individual horses needs , even after loading we resuffled a few timesto make sure they were gonna get along, no one is going to look after you better

Jumphigh83
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:14 AM
Fed Ex!

meupatdoes
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:47 AM
I recently moved my horses from NJ to TX and while I ended up buying a truck and trailer and hauling them myself, when I was asking around about a shipper every. single. person. I talked to in both NJ and TX recommended Equine Express.

PineTreeFarm
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
Equine Express.
Used them twice for TX to NY trips.
They were great !!

Cinnybren
Dec. 10, 2009, 11:33 AM
These guys do a terrific job. I've used them from Dallas to Seattle, to and from Dallas/St. Louis. They are kind and considerate, the check in with you at least once daily and let you know how your horse is doing. :)

Let me tell you a quick story about them. This fall, I had some major changes in my personal life. I had two horses, my mare of a lifetime, Cinnabar, and her fab son Andy. I was only going to be able to keep one. I am very fortunate to have become very good friends with Cinny's former owner in St. Louis and was able to send Cinny there to retire (she's 22). I called Equine Express and let them know what was going on, and set up shipping. I live close to their facility here in TX and the night before she shipped I hauled her over to their facility. They let me take her to her overnight stall and sit with her for a while to tell her goodbye. They were so kind, understanding of my tears and heartbreak. The next morning they called and let me know they were on the way, and since they had room, put her in a roomy box stall for the ride. She arrive safe and happy in St. Louis that evening and called me letting me know. Her other "mom" called too and said she looked fantastic. I cannot even begin to express how great these guys are to work with. :) Big thumbs up for Equine Express!

Jo
Dec. 10, 2009, 11:38 AM
I haven't had to do a coast-to-coast, but I've also used Equine Express and will call them again should the need arise. They had a hellish time picking up my mare (got their truck wedged in the framed entrance of the driveway!) but were awesome to deal with - regular calls, mare arrived in great shape, etc. Love them!

HaulnHorses
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.nationalhorsecarriers.com/

Jumper21
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't believe how many options there are!! HaulnHorses, thanks for that website! It gave me some great questions to ask when interviewing shippers.

In the meantime while I look at the shippers everyone recommended, has anyone used Equestrian Express out of Raleigh NC or Wings horse transport out of San Diego, CA?

Thanks again!

fourmares
Dec. 11, 2009, 10:58 PM
Bateman's did a great job hauling my friends retiree from CA to North Carolina.

NYCGIRL
Dec. 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
Have you thought about flying?

coast to coast was $3750. this year, so much nicer for the horses. Ours all arrived so much better than those that spend 3-7 days crossing thee country and the price difference was $595 for the hauler we wanted to drive coast to coast for a box stall.

AIR EQUINE
T: 858.759.2001
F: 858.759.2002
Toll Free USA
T: 888.247.2424

Agree I would only fly my horses if I were you and def not that big of a price difference. Anyway if you horses are stressed from the seven day trip you vet bills could be much higher then $595.00.

Kestrel
Dec. 12, 2009, 05:33 PM
On a Florida - Washington haul, Equine Express was great to work with and pony stepped off the van chipper and looking ready for anything. They were great about calling with reports, and from what they said it was clear that they really had been interacting with her.

We had used Hubbard when we sent the same pony down to Florida from Washington to start with, pony was very sick when she arrived - she had been on the truck for 10 days instead of 6, with only one night off. Hubbard hadn't let anyone know how sick she was, and the leasee was shocked at her condition and immediately called the vet.

Try to find a company that hires horsemen who drive trucks, not truckers who think of horses as cargo.

Robert B.
Dec. 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
I will be driving 3 of my own horses from Fl. to Ca. myself before christmas. I have 2 extra spaces if you are interested.