PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see OF in a sales video?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm toying with the idea of putting my gelding on the market next summer after I show him in the spring. This isn't an ad, because I may not do it (kind of depends on some non-horsie stuff I don't want to jinx that's in planning right now). I'm also worried about finding the right home for him as he is a bit quirky (although "broke" and well trained). I mainly ride dressage and rarely jump anything (and nothing of any height) anymore--no one to take lessons from and don't feel comfortable doing it on my own :-(

Anyway, he's a lovely hunter type Tb and I have a friend (who does jump) coming to visit in a couple weeks from far away and I was wondering what kind of a course I should set up? Honestly, I'd rather he went to a home where he'd do minimal jumping (he's coming 16) but he's sound and capable and a wicked fancy thing, so I'm wondering what kind of a course to set up and hoping you guys can help. Normally I could figure this out myself, but here is where the challenge comes in--The indoor is SMALL 70 x 130.

He hasn't been jumped in over a year, so I will probably start messing around a bit these next two weeks over some low stuff. I'm sure my friend will have an idea too, but I wanted to hear what you guys want to see in a video? I will do a sep. dressage video (different frame of going, etc.) and will show off his lateral stuff there.

TooManyChickens
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Since you want him to go to a home where he'd do minimal jumping, I'd maybe only show him in the video going over a height that you'd be comfortable with him continuing at. Since he hasn't done jumping for quite some time it sounds like, I'd definitely wait until he's back in the swing of things to get a video, maybe until at least the spring, that way you don't have to deal with the indoor. Sounds like you wouldn't be putting him on the market until sometime next year anyway, so I'd say work slowly with him over the winter, he is an older guy after all, and then see how he goes in the springtime, and get your video outside then. If he's doing well, maybe take him to a show and video him going over a course.

But, since you're not emphasizing the jumping, you could always just get him going over a few lines at home. I'd say see what you've got in the spring and go from there.

findeight
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:13 PM
Pictures jumping around a tiny, almost always dark indoor at home over plain old schooling fences against an always cluttered background (horizontal lines from the boards, vertical lines from the supports, windows and doors) are not a plus in evaluating a sales horse. And they look like crap in their winter coats or goofy in their body clip colors.

Not sure why you would want to take a sales video in a few weeks with your friend if you want to market him in summer?

I dunno about anybody else but when I see a video in an indoor with everybody wearing coats? And it's June? I am thinking..."boy that sucker has been for sale for awhile".;)

Wait and get some pretty pictures outside, even if you just flat.

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 8, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'm toying with the idea of putting my gelding on the market next summer after I show him in the spring.

I agree with Findeight. Much better to have a video of him jumping outside - ideally, from a show over a simple hunter course.

BelladonnaLily
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:45 AM
Another agreeing with findeight. We have a bunch of sale ponies, and I don't want them sitting on the market this winter because they are a hairy muddy mess, and I don't want videos of them this way, so we are waiting until they are slick and show ready in the early summer before doing anything. Of course, I said I was doing this last summer and they are still here ;) :lol:

Get a nice video of him outside, when he is fit enough to do so. Harder than you think to get a good video, especially when the horse hasn't been jumped lately.

magnolia73
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm also worried about finding the right home for him as he is a bit quirky

I don't know- people good enough to jump "quirky" rides seem to like to jump without limits. If he is limited to say, 2'6 or below, he probably needs to be reliable over fences with some proof. If that's the case, I'd like to see a jump or two when you give a less than perfect ride or a kid jumping. Part of what sold me on my horse was the jumping video was a lesson student and one of the jumps she jumped ahead and made a mistake and my horse (green at the time, LOL, still green) simply quietly chipped and cantered off. It was nice to see she could take a joke.

If your horse can't take a joke over fences, I'd can the jumping and focus on dressage and perhaps trails if he is a good guy on trails.

Sugarbrook
Dec. 9, 2009, 08:49 AM
Good advice. I hate videos done indoors. Just my personal opinion.

theoldgreymare
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:52 AM
I agree with findeight as well. As someone who has been shopping for several months, I have seen maaaaany sale videos. If your indoor is small, you are not going to get a good sale video now matter how bright and uncluttered it is. In an o/f video, I want to see an entire course, not one line of plain verticals or some singles set up in a tiny indoor. One pet peeve of mine is the sale videos that are edited to show only the good fences. Personally, I want to see the whole course.....long spots, deep spots, chips and all to see how the horse reacts and if it is an honest, solid citizen.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:51 AM
Oh you don't want to see me jump on a video!! I'd probably fall off. Ironically, I was the rider in the sale video (for showing him OF) for a dressage-only friend 2 years ago and I liked him so much I bought him. Amazing how quickly you can regress...

He's not quirky over fences or under saddle...he just has some issues with being direct tied (ok with a blocker tie or something similar). He was never good tied when I got him and then he had an incident with a new farrier (obviously I didn't use him again, but the damage was done) and if he can pull back he does (fine in the tie stall). I admit, I'm a bit scared to try him on the patience post. He really, truly panics. I don't want him to break his neck.

I didn't even think of how it would look to do anything this far ahead. Duh!! He's actually pretty slick coated and clean right now, he doesn't grow a big winter coat and is blanketed, but we'd definitely have big coats on!

The indoor is very well lit and bright (white sides) but the outdoor is even smaller, unfortunately. I have nice pictures of him showing over fences from a couple years ago, outside, but that's even older! Like I said, I haven't been jumping.

Sounds like I should get back in the jumping saddle and bring him to some schooling shows in the spring...man I feel old.

I just thought it would be nice to take advantage of having her here to ride him. She usually comes once a year to visit. It's just really hard for me to jump (or practice) without a trainer or eyes on the ground.

RockinHorse
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I'd rather he went to a home where he'd do minimal jumping (he's coming 16) but he's sound and capable and a wicked fancy thing, so I'm wondering what kind of a course to set up and hoping you guys can help.

I agree with what has already been pointed about doing a video now for a possible sale next spring. I do wonder, however, if you are looking for a home with minimal jumping why you would even want to do a sale video highlighting the horse's ability jumping around courses?

If you want to market the horse as a hunter, absolutely set up hunter type courses and show the horse flowing around in good form, doing its changes, etc.

If you want to market the horse as a dressage horse or a pleasure horse that can also jump, then I think anything that shows the horse behaving and jumping in decent form will suffice even if it is a few singles and a few related lines.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=RockinHorse;4546553] I do wonder, however, if you are looking for a home with minimal jumping why you would even want to do a sale video highlighting the horse's ability jumping around courses?

QUOTE]

Really, I would just want him to go to the best home possible (money isn't the point, even though I paid a fair amount) and thought it might be best to market him for everything he can and has done. I'm open to suggestions. I'm not sure how to find a good home for an older guy though--I'd give him away, but he's not an easy keeper and needs ulcergard when traveling, etc. I'm afraid a "free" horse wouldn't be treated well. I know people who donated their horses to a "certain" college and they pound the absolute crap out of them. I've seen that with lesson horses too, and I don't want to see that happen. I'd love to just free lease him and retain control, but there isn't much of a demand here unless the horse chases cows!

As far as only marketing him for dressage, I've noticed a distinct dislike of TB, especially OTTB, by many ammies in the dressage community. He's a second level horse--not an upper level schoolmaster. He's not a great trail horse, unless you are a confident rider. He's a typical TB (at least in my experience)--not hot but with a non-confident rider he worries. He's sensitive to your seat, which makes me love riding him, but would make him a bad beginner horse. He tries so hard he anticipates. Re the dressage comment, this is based on people I know and what I read, and what I see and hear at shows. I just thought he may find a better home with an all around person.

I'm totally open to suggestions. Like I said intially, if I don't find the right fit, he's just going to stay with me, but it would be a waste. He does have a lot to offer.