PDA

View Full Version : Mice mice everywhere!

cowgirljenn
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
Now it is getting chilly and all the little field mice and other sorts of mice are moving inside - into my sheds and my tack cabinet (which is in the small barn/large shed). I'm bringing my saddles inside the house as I don't need them eaten, but I don't really want the house full of saddles.

Aside from a barn cat or mice traps (which I do have now), anything else I can do to encourage the little beasties to move on?

atr
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Little buggers have moved into my car...

it's now very, very tidy and food-free in there, which seems to be helping.

lalahartma1
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:19 PM
In my house, too! The dogs are 'hunting' them

Bravestrom
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:27 PM
Search for the VICTOR mouse sheets - instructions say to fold into triangle but I leave them flat - my record is 7 mice on one sheet - best thing ever.

egontoast
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
PLease don't use glue sheets. That is torture. Think about it.

Use something that will kill them humanely.

Prevention is key. keep All food in rodent proof containers whether in the house or the barn.

cindylouwho
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:41 PM
I use a live trap to get my mice. Then turn them loose in the field, where my rat terrier humanely kills them. Humane is sort of a subjective word in our world.

Bluey
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:51 PM
Mice here live outside and somehow a few get into the attic in the fall and winter and fall into the house walls and die there.

About one every week or two, but I think this time I am smelling two dead ones at once.:dead:

I have poison in the attic, the dog can't get up there, but I can't do anything in the barn.
There is nothing anywhere for them to eat, other than hay in the barn.

I think that mice are part of a way of life in the country.:(

JSwan
Dec. 8, 2009, 06:04 PM
You guys wanna borrow Peanut?

She's my beagle. She likes to hunt rabbits and mice. She got 3 yesterday (mice)

If you wanna borrow Peanut, here are her rules.

1) She doesn't get out of bed until 10am. She will get up to go pee when I get up to feed, but then heads back to bed unless....

2) Scenting conditions are right. If it's a good hunting today she will cast herself and hunt rabbit.

3) When you get up to feed, put boots on just in case Peanut decides it's a good hunting day.

4) It's Peanut's world, and you are in it. Her world, her rules. Don't embarrass Peanut by chasing rabbits in your flannel granny nightgown and filthy dairy boots.

5) If rabbits are unavailable, Peanut may decide to hunt mice. Therefore, humans will stay out of the way and just open the doors in the barn. Peanut knows her job.

6) Peanut does require you make silly encouraging sounds, including whistling, to get her excited about hunting mice. Once she catches a mouse praise and cheer her or she'll decide to drop the darn thing into an empty shoe in the mudroom. If you are wearing your granny nightgown and filthy dairy boots, and you are cheering and whistling and chasing mice with a beagle, you'll look like a lunatic. Trust me.

7) Remember to tuck Peanut into bed at night. And check your shoes before putting them on. Just in case.:winkgrin:

If you have no beagle, and cannot borrow Peanut - she get good old fashioned mouse traps.

cowgirljenn
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Now I want to meet Peanut. Or get my own Beagle.. ;)

We had a mouse (or more) in the truck, too. Truck is cleaned out, we set traps in the truck and caught nothing. Either the mouse is smart or has moved on.

I don't think I've ever seen so many mice. If they get in the house, we have a house cat who is a great mouser and another one who isn't bad. But no outside cats.. and even with keeping the barn area clean, they're everywhere. They built nests everywhere!

At our last house, there was a huge feral cat problem - then again, they weren't so much of a problem as they kept us relatively mouse-free.

JanM
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:53 PM
Jenn-the mice will eat the wiring in your car! They probably didn't leave, just relocated a little. They have a new mousetrap that is a big plastic thing, after it kills the mouse you toss the trap and no more smashed fingers from setting the spring traps. Don't buy mouse sized spring traps but get the rat size, and the best bait is raw bacon. And place the traps around the edge of the room-they seem to like running there.

Gryhnd
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:27 AM
And place the traps around the edge of the room-they seem to like running there.

I believe that is because their eyesight is very poor, they stay along the edge of the walls where they can feel the wall.

We had a mouse problem last year, we do not have any barn cats or dogs and unfortunately we do not like killing anything and thought we only had one. Ha! Well, we did not have nearly as many as everyone thought we might have, when DH finally gave up and put the snap traps out, we caught maybe 18 or so then very random after that. He baited them with peanut butter. I think it is a quicker demise than poison or sticky tape.

winfieldfarm
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:42 AM
I tried poison but the smell of dead mouse in the wall was grossing us out. i tried new fangled trap but it didn't kill mouse, just smooshed it, Still alive waiting to be let go!

Went with the Victor snap traps- two in lounge, one in tack, one is small barn feed room.

We just caught number 21 yesterday. I bait with Peanut butter, freshening them every few days. I am now a master at setting them.

Fast, no dead bodies in the walls, and yes, back the trap bait side up against a wall. Mouse will cross over it even if they aren't stopping to eat.

I hate killing them but I know it is necessary to keep the barn mice-free, with regards to the wiring fire post. I feel horrible and if the occasionaly one is caught and is alive, I give the trap and mouse to my stall girl who takes care of it while I run and cover my ears. I think she whacks their heads on the wall to kill them quickly, faster than drowning.

Minerva Louise
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
Ugh. Hate mice. They burned my grandmother's house down. We kept having waves of them get in, would get them beaten back, and then there would be more.

And then a few months ago, a fire started in the attic (no doubt in my mind - they chewed the wires and we missed it, it was in one corner where the roof came down; too tight to get in there to check the wiring)

HATE mice.

Thankfully no one was in the house at the time of the fire. Not even critters, unless you count mice. But the beautiful antique furniture was home alone and did not heed the fire alarm. And the insurance company fully depreciates furniture at 7 years. We are all sick about it.

I would advise declaring all out war on them. Don't just use one kind of trap, go for a variety of methods. They might be smart enough to stay out of one type of trap but won't be smart enough to avoid all of them.

KSAQHA
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
The mouse population seems to have exploded around the place this fall. Had a couple get into the house and the spring traps took care of them...plus, keeping the dogs in the garage at night seems to be working with keeping them from gaining entry in the first place. The barn is where the vermin have really taken over, have caught a small rat, but mostly field mice - 7 in a two-day period. I HATE setting those spring traps, though, they're so...unpredictable; however, glue traps just don't seem to work for me.

A couple of months ago, the DH was driving to work, only to look over and see a mouse sitting on the passenger door arm rest. He swiped at it, but it scooted under the seat. A short while later, it suddenly jumped on his shoulder and scurried down his leg...while he was on interstate. Being startled AND mad, he pulled over, but couldn't find it. Meanwhile, a neighbor sees him, pulls over, and asks if he's okay. He had to admit to the mouse occupation...the neighbor was quite admused. Keep in mind, his work car is a 10-yr old Metro (clown car), which has seen better days.

LauraKY
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
My two barn cats keep the mice population down to nothing. They've moved on to rabbits and voles.

chicamuxen1
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yeah, cats are the best and easiest to use overall.

Moth balls, that's right, they hate moth balls. So you can use those inside of enclosed areas. Like I pack my winter blankets away into big Rubbermaid tubs and add a bag with some mothballs inside of it, just opened up enough for the scent to distribute around. This ought to work for a tack cupboard.

chicamuxen

MyGiantPony
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:43 PM
mothballs help, and so does peppermint oil, or mint plants.

BellaLuna
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:29 PM
Taking a break from cleaning and setting traps. I have never had mice in our home. Barn, yep, garage, sure, but I am finding droppings in my kitchen and dining room. And what fries me is that I had hidden a factory wrapped Hershey Chocolate Bar for me, just me, and those things found it, nibbled it and pooped all over my china. Ewww. Now it is war. Stay away from my hidden stash of chocolate.........

Fancy That
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:49 PM
that's when they find refuge in houses, sheds, barns etc. It's why we are all experiencing such a problem now (weather turned cold)

We unfortunatly "invited" mice into the home by not properly storing our dog food in the pantry. I've since made the dog food "mouse proof" and have sealed any "way in" with steel wool....

but I LOVE the moth ball idea!!!! I'm going to put a bunch of moth balls in the pantry and see if that helps.

I HATE seeing mouse poo in a kitchen cabinet (where there is no food, no less!!??) ICK!

We used spring traps in our tack shed last year. It's gross. I don't want to have to do that in the house. Hoping the moth ball trick works

AnotherRound
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, now its time to mouse proof your food in the cabinets. Metal is about the only way, that or glass.

We've fought them for years. This year, we have Beaste. Beaste is a true hunter. Birds come to the window, and does he go up to the window and chatter at them as so many cats do? No. He is silent. he slowly turns towards the birds and simply watches, that "sight lock" of a hunter. ONly thing moves is his eyes dilate.

Beaste will fight anything he sees. He has been stalking a Fisher cat, which is a bad bad thing, and we try not to let him out at night, but he is driven to find it again and kill it. It has punctured him repeatedly, and he has been at the vet and had stitches and abscesses drained from Fisher Cat fangs, but still he craves hunting for it.

And he is all over the mice. I am told just having a cat around drives them out. For us, it drives them to the basement and to the attic.

Tonight, Beaste will be let up into the attic to play for the first time.

Go, Beaste, go. Heh heh heh.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:53 PM
And check your shoes before putting them on. Just in case.:winkgrin:

Ha. My cat, Mr. Lionel, used to think my barn boots were a great repository for mousie remains. Whenever I'd forget to shake them out before putting them on, I'd feel a silky little clump blocking access to my toes.:dead:

Luckily for me, Mr. Lionel has conceived an unnatural affection for my younger border collie, Faith. So now he leaves mouse corpses in front of her crate at night, in hopes Faith will see him as the mighty predator he truly is - and stop being totally creeped out by his amorous advances.:winkgrin:

Quin
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:57 PM
I had hidden a factory wrapped Hershey Chocolate Bar for me, just me, and those things found it.

Oooh - the ultimate insult!

We use various spring-type traps in the house. I agree that peanut butter is the bait of choice. We used to use poison, but I also got sick of smelling the one that died someplace unreachable, like under the floorboards. And when they're dead, the smell wanders around - I remember one year tearing up the whole living room one weekend looking for the dead body, only to find it a week later out in the kitchen behind the fridge. Never smelled it in the kitchen but the living room stank to high heaven.

And remember that if you see a mouse, there is no such thing as A mouse. There are only mice. Mice do not exist in the singular form. If you have one, you have the whole extended family.

rmh_rider
Dec. 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
We have tried all kinds of things to discourage mice. We made it so they can't dig into the barn,but you can not cover and find every entrance. Unless you put concrete around the entire barn.

What we use is a big oh black bait box. It is placed so they can run through it when they travel along the edges of any place. Rats/mice have a fear of new things, so sometimes it may take a day or so for them to get used to something.

I got my box at TSC. It has a food you place inside and it snaps shut and screws closed. They go in eat, and leave and die. My dogs have never touched the dead mice. It is the only thing that seems to work. We have tried traps.

Yes, moth balls can help, but they smell things up, and would you really wanna keep smelling that, or have it smell up your hay? Been there done that. I have found it didn't work for us.

When I find a dead mouse, it goes directly into the trash.

We had an infiltration last night during the really bad storm. They wanted in, and they dug in. Hope they will dine on the free food soon. They horribly dig and cause damage.

If you kill a few, there will be others to carry on their line.

JanM
Dec. 9, 2009, 07:45 PM
One of their favorite kitchen hideaways is under the dishwasher-they use the insulation to make a nest, and eat the wires.

And do not ever use any type of moth ball or crystal inside the house-they have poison in them and people can get overexposed to this and get symptoms resembling dementia.

goeslikestink
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:31 PM
Now it is getting chilly and all the little field mice and other sorts of mice are moving inside - into my sheds and my tack cabinet (which is in the small barn/large shed). I'm bringing my saddles inside the house as I don't need them eaten, but I don't really want the house full of saddles.

Aside from a barn cat or mice traps (which I do have now), anything else I can do to encourage the little beasties to move on?

get a ferral cat from spca or a couple of them one cat isnt enough if a large barn

SmokenMirrors
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:34 PM
We had mice in the house...found a few of the babies waundering around the downstairs den...only one that I was able to save...yes folks...SAVE..was a little female mouse we now have in her own cage and named Tiny. She is semi tame, we can watch her sit on her house, she gets fed and fresh water every night, clean bedding once a week, etc. Now I sit and wonder how long they will live when living the good life?

We do use traps, they seem quick, it is a quick death and I refuse to use a sticky strip and let an animal suffer needlessly. Sick and cruel, I don't care what it is. Were suppose to be of higher thought process and I was taught better. I do have mice in the barn, when I go out I do catch them running along the barn wall or jump out of the shavings if I am freshening the stalls up and fluffing the hay up. My tack and harness shed is okay so far, the harness is up off the ground and really nothing in there to eat or chew so I have my fingers crossed that they won't nest in anything I can't find.

sadlmakr
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:04 PM
This is one of my best income producing problems. Rat damage to fine saddlery. I had a client call me at 7:00"Am one morning sobbing that rats had eaten her new Dressage saddle. Once you see what rats and mice can do to a saddle, you will declare all out war on the ""rodentia.
Fill old gym sox with mothballs, tie off the end with a rubber band and stuff it down the gullet of your saddles. Do this on English and westerns.
If you see one or two rodents you can bet there are 20 more in the dark recesses of the barn.
When I had my farm we had a massive population explosion of mice and rats.
My 2 dogs were good ratters but this was a bad problem. I asked my Vet about the best rat poison that would kill quickly and not make them suffer for long. He told me to use Farnham's Just One Bite. They go searching for water and do not usually stay in the barn or house. It worked. I found bodies all over the place. The dogs knew they were not good to eat. I gave them a decent burial. Deep in the ground.
If you catch them alive and take them out in the field, they will be back a your house before you are.
They can do alot of damage to tack and saddles and they can set fire to your house and barns by chewing the insulation off the wiring.
One of my friends said she heard her baby crying in the night and when she went in to see what the problem was there were 2 rats on the baby's bed.
They had not bitten the baby, yet. Yeah they ran but she got the exterminators out there and guess what they used. Springloaded rat traps and Farnham's Just One Bite.
They got rid of them, but she was really scared.
Have no mercy because they can do lots of damage.
And they carry disease. They spread Lepto in their urine, among others.
sadlmakr

appdream
Dec. 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have a 120 pound mouser! My foxhound loves to mouse, she is the first one to the barn. When she catches one under her foot, it doesn't move. We did have a local fox that kept the population under control, but he passed. I keep hoping for a new fox to take up residence.

My first horse came from a farm over populated with rats. After the rats ate 100 pounds of dogfood overnight, farmer decides to just get the feed he needs every morning. After two or three nights, the rats fed on a sick calf. Chewed a hole down to the muscle, about a foot across. That is when the exterminators were hired.

They also had a no kill policy on their farm, until.

Serendipity
Dec. 10, 2009, 09:04 PM
Moth balls, that's right, they hate moth balls. So you can use those inside of enclosed areas. Like I pack my winter blankets away into big Rubbermaid tubs and add a bag with some mothballs inside of it, just opened up enough for the scent to distribute around. This ought to work for a tack cupboard.

chicamuxen

I was told that really stinky dryer sheets work just as well as the moth balls do, without the mothball smell. I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not, but I put them in my RV trailer at the end of the season, and haven't seen any mice show up in there yet - so far so good.

Invite
Dec. 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
I was told that really stinky dryer sheets work just as well as the moth balls do, without the mothball smell. I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not, but I put them in my RV trailer at the end of the season, and haven't seen any mice show up in there yet - so far so good.

I do the dryer sheets in my tack room. I put fresh sheets in every tote and every drawer whenever I buy a new box. I buy the cheapest dryer sheets available and buy a new box every 3 weeks or so. I also have 4 different types of mouse traps set and I haven't killed anything in quite a while. Nothing has been damaged lately (knock on wood).

Yip
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:05 PM
As JanM said, mothballs are poisonous to humans. My SIL had them in her basement for some reason and when the furnace came on, the odor/chemical spread throughout the house. She got sicker and sicker as th eweeks passed and then almost died from it. A very wise Dr. asked the right questions just in time. Took a while to get it all out of the house so she could move back in.

I used glue sheets one time and will never use them again. What I found the next morning was a still living, petrified mouse, who had literally crawled out of its skin. I have never seen anything so gruesome in my life. I'll never forget it.

I see on TV that D-Con has a new trap out. It's a sticky but also has a spring trap on it. The stickiness keeps the mouse from getting away, then the spring kills it humanely and quickly.

Mice and rats can't rugurgetate, so poison stays in. You can also use things like mashed potato flakes in a little dish with a dish of water set nearby. They eat the flakes, drink the water, then bloat up. This doesn't sound very humane to me but is safer around other pets than poison.

I always have 3 cats, and my sheltie was a mouser until he became blind. We had mice for a dozen years and figured they were coming in under the dishwasher.

In May, the dw died and we had to remove it. Bingo! A nice little hole in the cove base just like you see on Tom & Jerry cartoons! We filled it with steel wool, then hubby covered the entire area with metal. They won't be getting in there again - but it's only a matter of time till they find a new place, probably a few feet over. Then it will be under the cabinets. When we remodel the kitchen, that entire line of cabinets is going to have a metal floor & baseboard.

Boomer
Dec. 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
Try Victor's "Quick Set" model M130. Looks like a big huge clothes pin (kind of). Super easy to set and it's a mouse killin' machine!

I'm have great luck baiting it with wet dog food. I smear it over the step pedal on the inside top cover. The little mice then try to step on the pedal to get the bait - and I got them!

This morning was a tad gross - pevious captured mice have been big, so they just got squished and died. Got a small mouse this am and the trap closed and cut him/her in half. It was kinda gross picking up little mouse parts. Especially since I have yet to locate the mouse's hind quarters... well, except the tail and a hind leg.

pony4me
Dec. 13, 2009, 08:58 AM
We have some humane traps that catch the little buggers, and then we release them. We keep releasing them further and further away from the house, but we always catch more. So the question becomes... if the mouse was taken a half mile away, is it the same returning mouse, or a different one? if it's the same one, how far away is far enough? We thought about tagging or marking them somehow to see if we were getting repeat offenders in the traps, but couldn't think of a way to do that. No one wanted to touch the mouse.

Bluey
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
We used to tag lab mice with a tiny swipe of fingernail polish here and there and of assorted colors.
I am sure they have better methods today, ask in some mice forums.

Plumcreek
Dec. 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=electric+mouse+trap&Nty=1&D=electric+mouse+trap&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

These are the easiest instant death traps. I bait with a few peanuts. Handle these carefully as the lid hinges break easily. Light on top blinks when a mouse is caught.

philosoraptor
Dec. 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
Make the place as un-inviting as possible. Keep it immaculate from spilled grain/supplements/catfood. All food items must be in locking-lid bins.

Horses fed in stalls are often inadvertently feeding rodents. This is tough to manage. Even with stall mats and sweeping after each meal, good luck! If this is the case, I'd store the tack in another building if possible.

Keep rooms de-cluttered at much as possible. Mice & rats tend to travel along walls and they feel safe when there are objects they can slip behind. Also trim any vegetation along outside of the building.

Good luck to you! Mice chewed items are no fun. I could tell you about the winter I forget and stored a bag of grass seed in my garage... feed the rodents all winter and by spring everything in the garage showed evidence of rodents living there. yuck!

I use a live trap to get my mice. Then turn them loose in the field, where my rat terrier humanely kills them.

You enjoy watching one animal tear up another? :eek:

Trevelyan96
Dec. 15, 2009, 10:01 PM
My cats and terrier mutt keep the population under control pretty well so far. I did see one in the tack room last week, but the dog and cat saw him too, and I had to break up the fight between them over who was going to get it! The dog was just playing with the poor little thing and torturing it, so I gave it to the cat. At least she kills them quickly and eats them.

avicia
Dec. 16, 2009, 04:36 PM
I tend to stick with all metal snap traps, the ones with plastic bits in the bait section or the outer covered ones aren't as reliable for me. Always optimistic about that "better mouse trap" though! I usually bait with garlic and herb cream cheese. I used to have an exterminator - but I do a better job with rodents than he does. I try to set a lot at first on paths they seem to use, check them often every hour even - then focus on the successful spots.

I hated poison - finding sick mice staggering around, or the glue traps. I have a handy pair of food-service style metal tongs I use to drown them in water when I have live but sick/injured/stuck to trap. My dogs do a good job keeping them out of the living areas but one year the basement was overrun before I realized.

lolalola
Dec. 17, 2009, 11:58 PM
There are so many cats in shelters that would love to help you with this problem.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:34 AM
I was sitting her typing away last night when I heard something scrabbling about in my office closet. Where I discovered one little mouse had gotten into the bag of stocking stuffers, and was gnawing away at a bag of cashews :mad:.

I set the trap last night, and right now the little bugger is scrabbling around in there. Guess I need to go dispose of it (it's one of those D-Con round traps).

Then I need to go get more traps tomorrow :mad:.

Wish I could get a cat for the house, but I don't think a cat would fit in well in my household full of dogs.

And I think the mice are moving on up to the house because all of my neighbors cats do their level best to catch the barn mice in my barn for me.

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 18, 2009, 01:40 AM
I see on TV that D-Con has a new trap out. It's a sticky but also has a spring trap on it. The stickiness keeps the mouse from getting away, then the spring kills it humanely and quickly.

I bought some of those, and there was no sticky part, I probably got a defective batch. I baited it anyway, and have caught nothing with it.

So I bought this instead, and it works, and what is nice, is you don't have to see the little dead mouse:

http://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html

myrna
Dec. 18, 2009, 02:22 AM
Our 8 year old Jack Russel finally got his first mouse!!in the kitchen no less!!I am sure he just wanted to play with it,but i don't care,the little darling is gone............

sadlmakr
Dec. 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
Interesting to read all your posts on the Mouse problems. But once you see a high end Dressage saddle ripped up and holes chewed in it, you will change your mind and declare war on the little buggers. Unless you tell your Insurance carrier that you want your saddle & tack covered it will not be covered by your Homeowners insurance. Then too is the deductible amount. To repair a rat eaten saddle can cost more than the price of a new one. But that is what you have to consider when you insure your equipment.
I have seen bridles rat chewed and there is no way to repair it.
Just replacement.
If you see one rat or mouse you can bet there are many more.
It is a problem that has been around horse barns for centuries.
Each one has to work it out to what works best for them.
JMHO.
sadlmakr

MyGiantPony
Dec. 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
Unless you tell your Insurance carrier that you want your saddle & tack covered it will not be covered by your Homeowners insurance. Then too is the deductible amount. JMHO.
sadlmakr
Not sure that's the case, depending on the insurance company.I had a damaged saddle covered by Erie, and never had tack listed specifically on my plan.

Vandy
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have the same electronic trap as Plumcreek and it's great - it kills quickly and efficiently and I highly recommend them for ease of use.

Fancy That
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
that's when they find refuge in houses, sheds, barns etc. It's why we are all experiencing such a problem now (weather turned cold)

We unfortunatly "invited" mice into the home by not properly storing our dog food in the pantry. I've since made the dog food "mouse proof" and have sealed any "way in" with steel wool....

but I LOVE the moth ball idea!!!! I'm going to put a bunch of moth balls in the pantry and see if that helps.

I HATE seeing mouse poo in a kitchen cabinet (where there is no food, no less!!??) ICK!

We used spring traps in our tack shed last year. It's gross. I don't want to have to do that in the house. Hoping the moth ball trick works

I ran out and got a bunch of mothballs, as it was suggested earlier in this thread that "mice don't like them" Well, lo and behold, our mice couldn't give a rats patootie about mothballs. There is mouse crap ALL OVER all the mothballs :) LOL

Fancy That
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=electric+mouse+trap&Nty=1&D=electric+mouse+trap&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

These are the easiest instant death traps. I bait with a few peanuts. Handle these carefully as the lid hinges break easily. Light on top blinks when a mouse is caught.

Thank you!!! I read the reviews and am going to get one for our problem area. Hope it works!

I had mice as pets for many years and I cannot stand the spring traps and glue :( I couldn't even finish reading the earlier post about what someone found on the glue trap (a live, skinless, footless mouse :(

Vandy
Dec. 18, 2009, 05:35 PM
Fancy That, I've had pet mice too, and a few pet rats :uhoh: So I have always been a little conflicted re: killing them...but when I found mouse droppings in my silverware drawer, that was IT. I think you will like the electronic trap...well, as much as one could like a killing device. IMO it's much more humane than the other methods.

Elly Mae II
Dec. 19, 2009, 04:02 PM
I hate setting mouse traps. I think any moment I'm going to have a broken finger. So I was thrilled with how easy those V clothes pin type were to set. Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck catching mice with them. They eat the bait and never spring the trap. Must take a bigger mouse to spring it.

The barn cats do a good job outside but my indoor cat is haphazard in her duties. One day I chastised her for making me do her job. The next day I bent down to pick up a "string" off the floor. Turned out it was a mouse tail and next to it was the face and a set of ears. Nothing else. I guess she was just letting me know she can catch mice if she is so inclined.

BabyGoose
Dec. 19, 2009, 07:53 PM

Prevention is key. keep All food in rodent proof containers whether in the house or the barn.

Ditto on the glue traps. As disgusting, destructive, etc that mice can be, they are a living creature that can feel pain and they should be killed as humanely as possible.

Also, those glue traps can catch non target species. An exterminator set some of those glue traps at our office and ended up catching a couple geckos. The geckos eat insects and don't hurt anything.

pony4me
Dec. 20, 2009, 09:27 AM
We are releasing them at least a mile away, on the other side of a busy road, in a big empty field which will someday be a subdivision. The last one was released about six days ago. So we haven't had any for about a week now. Crossing my fingers that all of them have been relocated. I did see one at the barn yesterday evening, but there's enough food and shelter there, so he/she should not want to move in to the house with us. We have Pro-Ketch traps.

Oakstable
Dec. 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
We have mice in the house because we got a male Dobie and he hates the cats. The female sleeps on the bed with the cats, but the male chases them so the cats are in a bedroom and don't run the house freely at night even though the male is sleeping in his crate.

So now we have a mouse problem.

I heard a zip lock bag rustling and found a mouse in it with the last of the buttermilk biscuits. I zipped it closed and he went out in the dumpster. Cute little bugger.

My husband and I are college graduates but cannot figure out those snap traps. We have broken two attempting to set them.

I do have a trap that is a little green plastic house. I put dog food in there after walking past the dog food bag and a mouse came flying out like in a cartoon.

I know there is at least one mouse in the trap. There was plenty of food inside the trap but no water so it should be dead. Need to open the trap today and rebait it.

The other day a mouse walked along the back of the desk as I was typing on my netbook. Brazen.

Oakstable
Dec. 21, 2009, 04:56 PM
I finally got up the nerve to open my Victor mouse trap and shake the dead critter into the dumpster. Plenty of mouse poohp, no mouse.

Jail break!!

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
I finally got up the nerve to open my Victor mouse trap and shake the dead critter into the dumpster. Plenty of mouse poohp, no mouse.

Jail break!!

That made me laugh!

Just picked up 6 more of the D-con round traps, as those seem to work the best on the tiny mice we have here.