PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep earplugs in?

bbbkmc
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
My horses keep shaking them out, even when I really try to "gently" push them in very deep! I had some nice wool type ones that stayed in pretty well, then lost one and bought some new ones that seem synthetic and smaller. I am using them to hunt in, so we are out a couple hours. Luckily I've been able to see them fly out and have jumped off and stuck them back in...
Do the foam plugs stay in better?
thanks

Peggy
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:43 PM
Get cat balls. No, not those kind of cat balls.:lol: These (http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=240)! You can get nice black ones from SmartPak or FarmVet but they are far more expensive.

Blue Star
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:50 PM
Horse's ears come in different shapes and sizes...so our barn buys rolled white cotton at CVS/Walgren's/RX, dye sheets of it a dark color and hang dry, then tear off enough to create a "wad" to use as the plug....you can customize the size and shape, reuse them and it is cheap....but evenso, some horses will NOT keep them in! :mad:

SkipChange
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
You might try putting on of those jumper ear nets on as well. That way if they shake loose at least you won't lose them. They come in a variety of colors so you can select a color that looks discrete with your horse's coat (black, brown, white). I've seen horses hunt in them and it has been acceptable.

I don't know how much it will really help, anyone tried that?

Horsegal984
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:43 PM
Fly bonnets work for the guy at our barn who HAS to have them at shows. Stuff them in deep and sometimes we use two pairs but the fly nets do work for him!

sarcam02
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:05 PM
From the 99 cent store - the cheaper the better becuase there are nice and mushy. The quailty "petco" ones are a bit too firm for my little guys. 6 balls for 99 cents. They do not come out and the horses are blissfully unaware that they are in.

They are also grossly bright so they are never forgotten in the ears after a ride. For shows I use a black or brown sharpie and darken them.

Or you can buy almost the same ones from SmartPak at $10 for the pair

llsc
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
For the ponies, I just cut the "Cat Balls" in half. They fit perfectly that way.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:25 PM
Get cat balls. No, not those kind of cat balls.:lol: These (http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=240)! You can get nice black ones from SmartPak or FarmVet but they are far more expensive.

I have a cat that freaking LOVES those things (I have to buy him a new 6 pack every month or so because he plays with them so much they get FILTHY).

I bet they work really well as ear stuffing, I would have never thought of that.

The REAL question then is... can I still call ear stuffing "ear bunnies" if it isn't fuzzy? :lol:

TooManyChickens
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:33 PM
It was suggested to me to use the Saddle-tite stuff, OR... my more inexpensive solution has been a little bit of vaseline.. just dabbed lightly around the puff. So far I've never had a horse shake one out. I actually prefer the synthetic over the natural sheepskin because the core of the natural ones is a strange substance that isn't very soft. Despite my gentle washing of the puffs, the core was more apparent over time and suddenly my horse shook and shook so it was time for them to go. The synthetic are just fine and have a better core to them.

cgray0983
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:37 PM
If you are hunting and not showing hunters or something like that - try a jumper ear net - I used one for taking my horse out by himself on trails when he was rehabbing and needed the extra muffling of the ear stuffies. I also find that they stay in better the less the ears are clipped.

I have heard the cat balls work well - but that they pull ear hair a little upon taking them out - those I would imagine are better for the show clipped horses. A woman at my old barn got some - in bright orange mind you - quite the look!

Green Acres
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
They are also grossly bright so they are never forgotten in the ears after a ride.

Hmmm, maybe I ough to try the bright cat balls. I have a problem sometimes remembering to take them out. :no: I don't use them all the time but once in a while when I know my guy is going to be silly and looking for things to spook at, I use them.

Peggy
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:15 PM
If you are hunting and not showing hunters or something like that - try a jumper ear net - I used one for taking my horse out by himself on trails when he was rehabbing and needed the extra muffling of the ear stuffies. I also find that they stay in better the less the ears are clipped.

I have heard the cat balls work well - but that they pull ear hair a little upon taking them out - those I would imagine are better for the show clipped horses. A woman at my old barn got some - in bright orange mind you - quite the look!
The cat balls pull less with clipped ears but stay in either clipped or unclipped.

Hadn't thought to try the 99-cent store...

PonyPenny
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yep. Use the cat balls. Peggy turned me on to them and they are the greatest. I colored mine with a sharpie for shows. It is hard to believe that Smart Pak sells them for $10.00.

TheOrangeOne
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:09 AM
Be careful with loose cotton. My horse has very waxy ears and I was picking cotton out for ages after we used it at a show. One of my trainers took black pantyhose and put the loose cotton in there, at the toe. Then he would tie it in a knot, cut, tie another knot, stuff with more cotton, tie off, etc. Like a big long sausage with the pantyhose being the casing and the filling being the cotton. This gave more of a sound block than the pom pom ones but was not glaringly white and kept the cotton contained. Great idea. The balls probably work great too. I got a bunch just as I stopped showing, so they are all arranged neatly in my wall box.

ExJumper
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:44 AM
I also use a few dabs of Vaseline.

horsepoor
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:11 PM
Another vote for the cat toys -- we use them regularly on a couple of my horses and both of them rarely are able to shake them out. I keep the colorful ones for using at home (so I remember to take them out!) and have another set that I colored black with a magic marker for showing. At home, I have had people react in shock, like "what is wrong with your horse's ears?!!" and I find it funny that they think my horse could have bright pink and green tumors growing in his ears...

Spirit_Rider16
Dec. 9, 2009, 05:17 PM
Another vote for the cat toys! We use them on the horses at my barn. They stay in very well and are nice and cheap.

Unfortunately, my horse really disapproves of them and won't stop shaking his head until they come out. :( He can be a stubborn thing! But they work great on everyone else.