PDA

View Full Version : Old-Timers Garden Memories

ElizabethL
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
I've leaned on you all before, but I'm writing a book and I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers:

1. Seeing Snowman compete
2. Seeing Snowman retire
3. The night that Trail Guide fell at the Garden and had to be put down in the ring.

Any old-timer memories of the indoor circuit-- 1962 or prior.

THANK YOU!

Janet
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:11 PM
I saw Snowman retire.

Grataan
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:22 PM
In case you weren't aware SI article with bit about Trail Guide's demise (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1072002/index.htm)

better description in this newspaper article (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19601105&id=paoRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=becDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3187,2420706)

ElizabethL
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
In case you weren't aware SI article with bit about Trail Guide's demise (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1072002/index.htm)

better description in this newspaper article (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19601105&id=paoRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=becDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3187,2420706)

These are great! Thank you so much!

vacation1
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:14 PM
There is a brief section about the National HS at the Garden in the autobiography "No Job For A Lady," by M. Phyllis Lose - it would have been in the 1950s, I think.

BAC
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:18 PM
I used to see Snowman all the time after he was retired. I was frequently at Hollandia Farm for horse shows and usually ended up strolling by his stall. He was very ordinary looking to say the least, you wouldn't have given him a second look if you didn't know who he was.

ElizabethL
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:20 PM
There is a brief section about the National HS at the Garden in the autobiography "No Job For A Lady," by M. Phyllis Lose - it would have been in the 1950s, I think.

Thank you! I'm not familiar with the book, but I'll look it up right away.

Clarence
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
Books: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Snowman-Cinderella-Horse/dp/B0007EK9UK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260293911&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/SNOWMAN-Rutherford-G-Montgomery/dp/B001ED9FV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260294010&sr=8-1

You can contact Harry Deleyer himself at:

Nederland Farm
Dyke, Virginia 22935
434-985-4174

He might still have some video available from that era. Maybe if you offer to put it on youtube he might send you a tape.

BAC
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:00 PM
Clarence, there was no video in those days. :D We did have "movies" that were on reels and you needed a projector to watch them. :lol:

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Clarence, there was no video in those days. :D We did have "movies" that were on reels and you needed a projector to watch them. :lol:

They can probably be converted to DVD without too much trouble.

Clarence
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
Oh. What about those videos of the d'inzeo brothers on youtube? There is lots of old stuff online. Maybe mr. Deleyer has some video of Dutch Crown then. Or he had some reels put on tape.
I sometimes forget about all the technological advances that have taken place the last 30 some years.

ElizabethL
Dec. 8, 2009, 02:27 PM
Books: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Snowman-Cinderella-Horse/dp/B0007EK9UK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260293911&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/SNOWMAN-Rutherford-G-Montgomery/dp/B001ED9FV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260294010&sr=8-1

You can contact Harry Deleyer himself at:

Nederland Farm
Dyke, Virginia 22935
434-985-4174

He might still have some video available from that era. Maybe if you offer to put it on youtube he might send you a tape.

Thank you so much! I'm happy to report that I've been able to interview Harry a number of times and I've actually got a copy of some old footage......

I'm a former West Coast rider, and too young to have seen any of this stuff, so the more impressions I can get from people who were actually there, the better off I am. Would like the book to be as accurate as possible in recreating the era.

I'm especially interested in what it felt like to be sitting in the stands... so if anyone has memories like that, I'd love to hear them.

:)

Clarence
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:15 PM
Could you put that old footage on youtube? I would love to see some!

OAK
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
I promise you there was NO One in the seats with dungarees on. You were always well dressed and in the evenings the Ladies wore all there fineries and the men had on their Tux's, Top hats etc. It was the social event of the season for the horse people. And the Garden was sold out all the time. Except for general admission but then you could only stand in the walk around that went around the edge of the ring. In front of all the Box seats. What fun those days were. Wish we could go back !!

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:36 PM
Elizabeth, I attended the show approx. 11 years in a row and competed there in hunters and equitation. We shared a box with the Steinkraus family. I would be happy to try to answer any questions if you want to PM me.

Clarence
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:49 PM
No no. Such information should not be done through PMs. Don't you think we would like to hear what you have to say? :-)

ElizabethL
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:58 PM
Could you put that old footage on youtube? I would love to see some!

I'd have to get permission.

Clarence
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:03 PM
Would you mind asking? I would really appreciate it.

Roxy SM
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
They can probably be converted to DVD without too much trouble.

You'd be surprised how much trouble those old 8mm and super 8s are to convert. We have hours and hours of home movies from the 50s to 70s, even one from the late 30s of my grandfather at 18 and his family. We have footage of things like my grandparents' honeymoon in the 50s and my mom as a little girl, and I desperately want to convert them to DVD. I definitely will hopefully sooner rather than later, but I was told by the guy at the camera shop that the film has to be converted to VHS first and then to DVD, so it is not cheap. Maybe soon they'll figure out how to convert it directly to DVD, or maybe they already have but it's not widely available yet.

This sounds like it's going to be a very interesting book please let us know when it is finished!

BAC
Dec. 8, 2009, 04:39 PM
You'd be surprised how much trouble those old 8mm and super 8s are to convert. . . I was told by the guy at the camera shop that the film has to be converted to VHS first and then to DVD, so it is not cheap.

You're right, its not an easy thing to do. A couple of years before she died, my mother took a bunch of old home movies and had them converted to VHS, and gave my sisters and me each one for Christmas. This was before the days of DVD, but now I should do that to preserve those memories.

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:12 PM
I definitely will hopefully sooner rather than later, but I was told by the guy at the camera shop that the film has to be converted to VHS first and then to DVD, so it is not cheap. Maybe soon they'll figure out how to convert it directly to DVD, or maybe they already have but it's not widely available yet.

I don't think it is that big of a deal. I had footage converted a while back but the company I used specialized in that and video editing; I imagine a camera shop would be more expensive.

Roxy SM
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't think it is that big of a deal. I had footage converted a while back but the company I used specialized in that and video editing; I imagine a camera shop would be more expensive.

Interesting, I will definitely try to find some other places that do it and see if I can find a less expensive one. The reason we were planning on having this guy do it is because he has been in the business forever and we trust that he will do a great job. I am so nervous about handing them over to others because if they are damaged they can never be replaced. In fact, we still have out projector and big screen, and it is fun to watch them on that, but I want to get them onto DVD because I can make many copies and therefore won't have to worry that their is only one and if it is damaged it is gone forever.

PineTreeFarm
Dec. 8, 2009, 07:37 PM
Many of Harry's children are active in the horse world. I'll alert them about this thread.

hellerkm
Dec. 9, 2009, 09:04 AM

I love that book!!!:):)

ElizabethL
Dec. 9, 2009, 11:46 AM
This sounds like it's going to be a very interesting book please let us know when it is finished!

Thanks! I feel so lucky to be writing it. I've written several other books, but I always wanted to be Marguerite Henry or Walter Farley when I grew up, so this is like a dream come true. :)

The book will be out in spring 2011 from Random House. Title not definite yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

Regarding those super 8s... I was just at a film conversion store a couple of days ago-- he said that the super 8s have a shelf life of about 30 years before they are too old to convert. And whatever came after that, in the 90s, (does 8mm ring a bell? Not sure.) only lasts 10 to 15 years.

So convert sooner rather than later or it may be too late.

It is just astonishing to see old clips from the early 60s, and there are those famous horses in living color. Amazing.

Roxy SM
Dec. 9, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks! I feel so lucky to be writing it. I've written several other books, but I always wanted to be Marguerite Henry or Walter Farley when I grew up, so this is like a dream come true. :)

The book will be out in spring 2011 from Random House. Title not definite yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

Regarding those super 8s... I was just at a film conversion store a couple of days ago-- he said that the super 8s have a shelf life of about 30 years before they are too old to convert. And whatever came after that, in the 90s, (does 8mm ring a bell? Not sure.) only lasts 10 to 15 years.

So convert sooner rather than later or it may be too late.

It is just astonishing to see old clips from the early 60s, and there are those famous horses in living color. Amazing.

Interesting about the shelf-life. 8mm was definitely way before the 90s. I have never heard that before and out camera guy knows how old ours are and doesn't seem to be concerned about that but I will definitely look into it because I would be very upset if I were unable to preserve them in DVD form.

AnotherRound
Dec. 9, 2009, 02:16 PM
Interesting, I will definitely try to find some other places that do it and see if I can find a less expensive one. The reason we were planning on having this guy do it is because he has been in the business forever and we trust that he will do a great job. I am so nervous about handing them over to others because if they are damaged they can never be replaced. In fact, we still have out projector and big screen, and it is fun to watch them on that, but I want to get them onto DVD because I can make many copies and therefore won't have to worry that their is only one and if it is damaged it is gone forever.

A friend of mine has a film company which specializes in converting old home movies to dvd. You can check it out:

http://www.videoimagination.com

What he has told me is that the film is very fragile, and becomes brittle with time. I bleive he discusses that on his website, above.