PDA

View Full Version : Enough Truck?

nashgirl
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:25 AM
I currently have a 2001 GMC 2500HD that I really love. Until recently I hauled a 2 horse GN, last year I replaced it with a 2+1 GN. I have two big horses (17.2 WBs) and occasionally have a 3rd horse in the box stall. Is this too much for my truck? I haul about 100 miles a week and plan to show a fair amount next year; most of those trips will be a couple hundred miles and will require some pretty hilly highway driving.
So far the truck seems to be handling this OK. I’ve seen some single axel 1 tons and wonder if it would be worth while to upgrade. I have no interest in a dually.

tangledweb
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:40 AM
You are probably already OK, but even a new 3/4 one would probably be both nicer and more powerful. If you have money to throw around don't let us stop you.

You'd need to read the specs on your current truck and on any one you were considering replacing it with.

Look at the handbook or the manufacturer's detailed specs for that exact year, body, engine, transmission and axle ratio and find the GCM and towing capacity.

Not all 1 tons can tow more than all 3/4 tons.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:17 PM
If anything I would go for a diesel, more power, better gas mileage. My 2002 F250 diesel gets 17 while hauling a 3h slant GN.

grinanride
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey Nash! Your current truck is probably rated at up to 12k - your trailer is about 6400 less about 1400 for tongue weight - then add horses and gear - if your current truck is dependable it is likely just fine, but if your really want a newer truck there are probably some nice ones waiting for you! Hi to Colby!
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers
BalancedRideTrailers

CatOnLap
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:52 PM
depends on the power train- which motor and which tranny. that 2001 model runs anywhere from around 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs towing capacity. But in any case, even the lower capacity should handle a 3H gooseneck OK. and the HD model has good brakes, which is more of a concern when pulling a big trailer.

nashgirl
Dec. 14, 2009, 10:35 AM
Well I have nearly completed my self-study short course on trucks… I’ve also test driven an F-250 with a crew cab and long bed.

My DH is the one that spontaneously came up with the idea of getting a new truck. I do go on long trips and he wants me to be safe.

Differences in my 2001 GMC 2500HD vs. 2009 Ford F250 Super Duty:
Engine
300 hp @ 4400 rpm vs. 300 hp @5000 rpm
6.0 liter vs. 5.4 liter
Axle ratio
4.10 vs. 3.73
Torque
360 @ 4000 rpm vs. 365 @ 3750 rpm
Curb weight
5970 lbs vs. 6591 lbs
GVWR
9200 lbs vs. 9600 lbs
Payload
3321 lbs vs. 2940 lbs
Maximum trailer weight
15100 lbs vs. 8300 lbs (Ford has 15000 lbs for GCWR, what is this?)

I currently have a regular length bed, is it a good idea to go to a long bed? I have a crew cab and the new truck will also have to have a crew cab. I'm sticking with the gas engine too.

Ford is offering about $7000 in rebates on the 2009 trucks, so the price ends up being in the low to mid 30’s.

Will any of the differences above make a difference for me one way or the other?

Risa - Colby says hello! He knows you need a glamour shot of him in his fancy rig.
Thanks!

shawneeAcres
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:08 AM
I haul a four horse gooseneck with some pretty big horses in it with a 2001 ford 7.3 liter diesel F250 (3/4 ton). I have hauled as many as a five horse with this truck and no issues whatsoever, Frankly I see little need for a "dually" unless you have a REALLY big trailer (i.e. LQ).

nashgirl
Dec. 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
Oh, I hope I never "need" a dually! I'm trying to figure out if I will be happy with a new Ford 250, or will miss my GMC.

mares tails
Dec. 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
(Ford has 15000 lbs for GCWR, what is this?)
The GCWR is the maximum combined weight of your loaded tow vehicle and the loaded trailer.

CatOnLap
Dec. 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
well...bird in the hand and all that.
your 2500 has a better axle ratio and a bigger motor. It is going to get worse gas mileage than the new F250 you chose, but it tows lots more because it is set up for towing and has more torque and horsepower (the particular Ford model you chose has to rev much higher to get the same horsepower! and is not the one I would choose to pull a horse trailer).

I'd probably stick with the truck you have, given those two exact choices.
If you can get any other model of F250, I'd be looking for the one with the 6.4 L powerstroke diesel and the 5 speed automatic overdrive with Tow/haul. That will give you both the power and the torque you want to pull any larger trailer.

Guilherme
Dec. 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
I currently have a 2001 GMC 2500HD that I really love. Until recently I hauled a 2 horse GN, last year I replaced it with a 2+1 GN. I have two big horses (17.2 WBs) and occasionally have a 3rd horse in the box stall. Is this too much for my truck? I haul about 100 miles a week and plan to show a fair amount next year; most of those trips will be a couple hundred miles and will require some pretty hilly highway driving.
So far the truck seems to be handling this OK. I’ve seen some single axel 1 tons and wonder if it would be worth while to upgrade. I have no interest in a dually.

Your Owner's Manual will start you off by giving you the legal capabilities of the truck. If you don't have it the go Trailer Life URL http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175 and find your truck. The calculate its legal limits.

Now take your empty trailer over to Pilot or TA or Flying J (or some other truck stop) and weigh everything on the CAT scale, empty. This will cost you about $25.

Since you now know what your truck weighs and what it's legal capacity is you can pretty quickly decide where you are in terms of hauling.

Note if you really want to know, fuel the truck; load up the horses, gear, feed, etc.; add some clothes, food, etc.; and now go the CAT scale. This is, for most folks, and "eye opening" experience. ;)

Without knowing the specifics of your truck it's not possible to say "safe" or "unsafe." A 2001 truck is eight years older than a 2009 truck (and with a lot more miles, probably) so in theory will be less reliable.* But increasing reliablity by getting a newer truck will come with a big pricetag (as I'm sure you've discovered :) ).

Good luck in your search and making a good decision.

G.

*A whole new thread could be started on the virtures of the 6.4International vs. Duramax vs. Cummins. The 6.0L International, in the Ford installation, was a very poor match. Early model Duramaxes had issues. The Cummins installations were generally pretty good but Dodge went through a period where transmissions were real Papa Oscar Sierras. So measuring reliablity by age and milage is a dicey business. ;)

Yip
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:39 PM
You have a good truck now that does the job & you love it. With the economy the way it is, why spend lots of money when you don't have to? Especially if you have to incur debt to buy it.

We never thoguht daddio was in danger of losing his job. His co. was sold last year and the entire sales force got the axe. We were in a pretty good situation, but we wouldn't have been if we had gone into debt for a bigger truck and a trailer, as we had planned. That still small, voice inside me said to wait, and we did. Good thing we listened to *the voices* in my head. Just 3 months later, hub was unemployed.

CatOnLap
Dec. 14, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hay Guilherme- she gives you the exact specs of her 2001 2500 HD in her post #6 above.
but all things being equal in terms of the power and towing capacity, I'd get the newer ford- they are cushy, pretty trucks that drive like cars. love em. 2001 models of any make?- not so much.

nashgirl
Dec. 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the advice all!
Catonlap - do you think I will be able to tell the difference between the two trucks when hauling?

The GMC gets 11 mpg no matter what I am doing (unless going downhill with a full load and a tailwind) so it is interesting that the Ford might do a little better. Of course, no data to be found about that. The diesel transmission adds about 7K to the price and $0.30 per gallon of fuel so I am not thinking of going in that direction. I know Ford has stopped production on the 2010 diesels because they are putting a new diesel in their trucks. The new trucks will be out in Feb10.

The GMC is my first truck and so it is really all I know. It is very powerful but it is not a comfortable truck to spend lots of time in. I have someone that wants to buy it so I know it will go to a good home :-) The truck has been reliable so far and it only has 54K on it. If it were a diesel I am sure I would not be thinking about any of this.

BasqueMom
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:10 AM
We have a Dodge 1500 2006 model with the 5.7 hemi and also kept our 1996
F250 with the 7.3L engine. Both are the long beds--the Ford is an extended cab
and the Dodge a quad cab but wheel bases are bout the same. A true crew cab
with the long bed is one long fella to park when not hauling.

The Ford wins hands down on pulling power--we pull a steel two horse slant with dressing room that weights about 3200 lbs empty. Both horses are over
16 hands. It barely knows anything is back there and gets about 16 mpg when
pulling them. The Dodge definitely knows something is back there and gets about 10 mpg when pulling and only about 15 mpg when not pulling. Both are 4x4's.

The lovely thing about that different torquing of the diesel engine is that when you let off the gas, the engine acts like a brake and helps to slow you. After
a while you learn to let up on the gas pedal rather than always hitting the brake,
especially when going downhill.

It sounds like keeping what you have makes more $$$ sense, especially with
just 54K on it, than springing for a new one unless you went with a diesel. But
then, I'm a big fan of a diesel for pulling having tried both.

My neighbor's husband traded their GMC 2500 diesel a while back for a new truck with a gas engine and was assured by the dealer it would pull as well.
Nope...no way close. So he took it back to the dealer to return it and someone
walked in to to trade a two-year old F350 4x4 Powerstroke with under 30K because their son decided they needed a new truck (WTF) and neighbor's hubby
snapped it up. They love it and I've ridden in it....all the bells and whistles and
her hubby could pull their house if he needed to. It's also very quiet unlike our
diesel which is older and loud.

When we shopping for a haul vehicle many moons ago, I put my foot down and
said no diesel, too sticky and too loud. Then I started asking some of the boarders at the barn what kind of mileage their trucks got. So I jumped on the
diesel bandwagon. We had an old F150 before it that could barely get the
trailer home from the dealer and our adventures with it made the diesel feel like
horse haulers' heaven.

CatOnLap
Dec. 15, 2009, 01:23 AM
Catonlap - do you think I will be able to tell the difference between the two trucks when hauling?
I am partial to shiney newer things...
that said- the newer ford only has the 5.4 L engine- what is that- equivalent to an old 302 ford motor? Its not a very big motor to be hauling with and with a steel 2 horse, fully loaded ( around 7500 lbs) you will feel the load, the truck will be operating at its max capacity. But with the larger motor of your old truck, you would still have power to spare.

Tom King
Dec. 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
No need to get a new truck to just go sideways which the SRW one ton would be to what you have. I'm still driving an '01 Duramax/Allison 3500 that has had no issues and I wouldn't trade it for a new Ford or Dodge. The best truck payment is 0. I like to make one payment on a vehicle and drive it until it drops. Looks like I'm at most halfway on this one.