View Full Version : Saddle Repair....Help!!!

Dec. 7, 2009, 11:49 PM
I need to get the knee rolls repaired on my Delgrange saddle and I'm having a heck of a time finding someone to repair them! I found one place but they wanted to charge me $800, so that's not happening! Does anyone know any repair shops in California(preferably NorCal) or some place out of state that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to get some simple knee rolls stitched up or replaced?!?!

Dec. 8, 2009, 12:26 AM
Kate at Dutchess Bridle Saddle does a great job.

That said, there are about a million and one tools involved in many "simple" saddle repairs, and often to do something "straightforward" the workman/woman will have to take the entire saddle apart.

Depending on the design of the saddle, for example, "simply" replacing billets can involve removing the panels altogether.

To replace your knee rolls they will probably have to take the flaps entirely off your saddle, custom form new foam, cover the new foam with leather, sew them on to the old flaps, and then put humpty dumpty back together again.

And materials are expensive. I just replaced the billets on an "easy" saddle which did NOT require taking the saddle apart to get at the billets (as most jump saddles do, btw), and each billet was $8, not including the subsequent labor to edge it, stain it, make sewing holes and then actually put them on. So $50 before anyone did any work.

That is why it costs money. There are not just "simple" knee rolls sitting around on order ready to be sewn on.

Dec. 8, 2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks! Wow, I had no idea that much work went into it!