PDA

View Full Version : Tall Boot Conditioner

forestergirl99
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:35 PM
What conditioner do you recommend for conditioning tall boots? My boots are starting to feel a little dry, and I've heard that tack conditioner can cause the shine to go away. So what would you recommend?

heartinrye
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:57 PM
The "shine"?

I would clean the boots with saddle soap, then use conditioner. When you are ready to show, put some polish on, then buff, then they will be shiny.

But yes, putting conditioner on top of polish, will make them dull, it will (eventually) lead to cracking as well, since they leather will be dry from not being able to breathe if you don't 'remove' the layers, and keep piling on polish & conditioner without using soap.

spmoonie
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:39 PM
I have use lexol, olive oil, and leather therapy. My best results have been with leather therapy. However, some of the boot companies (Sergio Grasso comes to mind) have their own line of conditioners and cleaners that I assume work fairly well too. Also, I have been told not to use saddle soap on boots. It can damage the leather. :confused: Castile only.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:42 PM
I love Vogel leather conditioner... although, I just tried to look it up on their website and I don't see it. Does anyone know if it was discontinued??

Something else to consider trying is using something like Lexol conditioner. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR BOOTS. Put it on the inside (i.e. the part that you put your leg in, not the part touching the horse). Putting it inside the boot should condition the leather without ruining the shine.

EquineRacers
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have found that Mink oil works the best as far as conditioner, shine, and even softening up leather!

Dun Ciarain
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
I love Vogel leather conditioner... although, I just tried to look it up on their website and I don't see it. Does anyone know if it was discontinued??

Something else to consider trying is using something like Lexol conditioner. DO NOT PUT IT ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR BOOTS. Put it on the inside (i.e. the part that you put your leg in, not the part touching the horse). Putting it inside the boot should condition the leather without ruining the shine.

The Vogel conditioner wasn't discontinued, the place that manufactured it either stopped manufacturing it or went out of business some time ago. The last I heard, they were looking for a new manufacturer. Fortunately I had an extra bottle that I had forgotten that I had purchased. :)

forestergirl99
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
The "shine"?

I would clean the boots with saddle soap, then use conditioner. When you are ready to show, put some polish on, then buff, then they will be shiny.

But yes, putting conditioner on top of polish, will make them dull, it will (eventually) lead to cracking as well, since they leather will be dry from not being able to breathe if you don't 'remove' the layers, and keep piling on polish & conditioner without using soap.

that's just what I've heard a bunch of people on here say before.

*Liz*
Dec. 8, 2009, 05:34 AM
*shrug* I'd just use some lexol conditioner. I've been conditioning tall boots with lexol for about 10 years now and never had an issue. The only cracks I've ever put into my boots were due to wear from riding, i.e. wearing a hole through the calf.