PDA

View Full Version : Winter, time to rest....

tidy rabbit
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
For those of you with multiple rides per day do you take time off to let your body rest?

After a very long year and a lot of riding, I find I just want to take a break for a couple weeks and let my poor body heal up and recover from all the abuse it took this year.

Anyone else? How long do you rest up for? A couple weeks? A month? Never?

ClassyRide
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
I may not be the person you're looking for an answer from (I own 2 horses, and they're pretty much the only ones I ride), but I have always taken 1-2 weeks off a couple of times a year. I find that when I do come back to riding, I feel refreshed both mentally and physically. I don't think anyone would fault you for taking a break - everybody needs one from time to time! :cool:

WorthTheWait95
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
I usually take mine in the early fall instead of winter. Habit from when we did WEF, Atlanta and the KY spring shows every year. After the KY National I would pull their shoes and give them one to two months off work. They do go on trail rides and light hacks occasionally, however. I would start legging up slowly in late November, start out a division lower the first few weeks at WEF and build from there.

I didn't do it this year even though they had a hard summer of showing but plan to pull their shoes next month and give them time off until late feb/march since we don't go to Florida. I'd like them to be refreshed for KY Spring and since I'm starting a new job (my first real world job!) I'm not sure I'll have tons of time. Of course I only have two right now so I'm far from exhausted but they deserve a break.

dags
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:31 PM
Absolutely. It's good for horsey and human alike. Who wants to ride in freezing cold anyway? And holidays leave schedule's so sporadic. Certainly nothing wrong with a solid four weeks off, or even until first of Feb when at least a hint of spring is around the corner, if you really want a break!

RugBug
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:16 PM
I wish I felt like I could, but I want to keep the horse's fit. I end up riding more

hellerkm
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:41 PM
My mom and I had this discussion today. Sarah ( my 6 yr old) begs to ride EVERYDAY, but we have not been riding as much as we were due to weather issues. Its cold and my 2 yr old who hangs in the ring while we ride has been complaining about being cold just standing around. Trying to balance Sarahs desire to ride all day everyday no matter what the weather is ,with her younger sibling who gets cold and bored in the ring is proving to be tough.
I also feel like we need to continue to make an effort because my parents are very gracious about caring for our ponies on a daily basis and I don't not want to leave them with total responsibility for them ( like changing out muddy blankets, cleaning off muddy legs ect) Add to all of that the fact that Sarah as made GREAT strides this summer and I don't want her to regress.
so we are cutting back but not stopping, today was decent, cold but not windy so we rode for 45 min, that was all the 2 yr old could stand. I really wish we had an indoor :yes:

SkipChange
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:04 PM
Well...i had planned for 4 weeks of hacking 2-5 times a week for my young jumper. However, an excellent training opportunity opened up and he is being shipped off to boot camp for his christmas present. Hopefully he will come back from the training barn with clean lead changes and jumping huge :) and ready for the A shows with a new trainer :D

indygirl2560
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:55 PM
I don't take time unless I'm injured, forced to, or simply don't have any horses to ride(which is rare)! Even if my trainer is out of town and I don't have lessons, there are almost always horses she has for me to school or hack. In fact, it's usually during the winter holidays that I get to ride more(my trainer usually has me ride the horses that need to be worked while their owners are on vacation), since I never go anywhere!:yes:

mvp
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
Time off is good, but not so much that you lose fitness.

If you have minor soft tissue injuries, you *know* this is the time to aggressively work on them. Ice n' advil n' chillax, just as you would for your beloved four-legged.

I'm amazed at how many of my human buddies have no idea or interest in learning to manage the milage on their body! They can and do get surgery when things are bad, but seem do to nothing preventative and lose interest in rehab programs.

I'm grateful for the therapeutic stuff I have learned from caring for horses.

ladipus
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:18 PM
For those of you with multiple rides per day do you take time off to let your body rest?

After a very long year and a lot of riding, I find I just want to take a break for a couple weeks and let my poor body heal up and recover from all the abuse it took this year.

Anyone else? How long do you rest up for? A couple weeks? A month? Never?

I try to ride as much as i can spring through December...and i ususally take a winter brake for Jan/Feb and start fresh in the spring...does me and the horses good! I get to recooperate,and so do the horses both physically and mentally

Go Fish
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:35 PM
For those of us doing the winter circuits, time off is usually not an option, unfortunately. I'm usually done the end of October and we start up again in January. We may slow down for a month...more hacking and less jumping...but the horses have to stay fit and tuned up.

I need it as much as the horses. If I don't jump regularly, my "eye" goes down the toilet.

Heinz 57
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:54 PM
November was my slack-off month. I was just not motivated. However, I have a four year old and we have a show coming up in mid-January, so I've sucked up it and am back to working hard. I rode today, and it was 20 degrees out. The 'real' shows start in March, so no slacking off after the January schooling show, either. I had hoped to really get my mare going over fences this winter but it sounds like i'll be lucky if I can find an indoor, let alone jumps and regularly enough to make progress!

dressurpferd01
Dec. 9, 2009, 12:40 AM
Not a h/j rider, but my time off was for my wedding/honeymoon. Regretted it slightly when I got back and was sore for a couple weeks after getting back to riding 8 horses a day...

Void
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:59 AM
In the winter I do go a bit easier, I still ride as often as I normally would but if I'm feeling slightly under the weather, with the RL weather being bad I'm more likely to skip going out in order to keep a minor bug and one day off becoming a major bug and one week off.

Plus it snowed here for the first time in forever and I really don't want to go ;)

findeight
Dec. 9, 2009, 10:30 AM
Me, me, me....

I no longer do multiple rides and have hit the age where it hurts to ride in the cold (that defined as about 28f and below...depending).

Mare has a harder time loosening up as well. be 21 in March and we both HATE the indoor.

So, no brainer there. I usually lay off from about now until around Valentines Day. Horse gets light excercise, 3 hacks a week or so. Handwalking daily. We do have a treadmill but I prefer to have her hacked by one of our working student Juniors (at no charge). Turn out too, pretty easy on herself on the ice and snow so she goes about about 3 days a week for 4 to 6 hours. Unless it is really sucky.

I come back rested and, having used the "free time" to work overtime, able to finance returning to some lessons and jumping.

It does wonders for both of us-and that old mare comes back hunting the lines and sparkling-which is hard when it is something she has been doing for 15 years.

tidy rabbit
Dec. 9, 2009, 01:15 PM
Turn out too, pretty easy on herself on the ice and snow so she goes about about 3 days a week for 4 to 6 hours. Unless it is really sucky.

You mean like today? What amazingly crappy weather. At least I don't have to leave the compound today!