Dec. 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
OK, I'm checking this guy out as an event prospect:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/chickenconfo.jpg

under saddle (love this pic):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/chick.jpg

face shot (seems sweet):
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee273/madrugadamegan/chickface.jpg

He's 17 hands and will be 5 in Feb.

I'm concerned about his knee (what's the bump?), his HQ look small, hunter's bump? and he looks a bit camped out. I love the rest-high set neck, low hocks, short cannons, longish neck, good pasterns, good shoulder.

Am I way off?
What are deal breakers to you when it comes to conformation?

He had check ligament sugery as a foal and was not raced due to some heat in a leg (not sure if it was the CL surgery leg). Not sure if these issues are deal breakers...

Thoughts?

wildlifer
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:31 PM
You are right -- his front end is lovely with an uphill build, nice pasterns, a touch long in the toe, but fixable. He is quite camped out and light behind and also lacks angles back there all the way down.

It depends on what your goals are -- it also depends how he moves. But I would guess (because my own horse is built a little bit "out behind" himself) that it will be harder for him to come round and step under himself and the straightness behind could also very well be a limiting factor in terms of what he is comfortable doing in the dressage arena.

If your goals are Novice/Training type of work, just going on pictures, you might have good luck, being careful of course to train with conformation in mind. Of course, you also have to consider how he's been treated ridden UP TO this point in time as that can make all the difference.

If (you are wayyyyy braver than me and!) your goals are Advanced or somesuch, I'd be much more leery. Straight behind very very often leads to soundness issues over time, discomfort in the hocks, stifles, ankles, when the horses are in heavy work and for an Upper level horse, I'd want much better conformation to start with than this.

kookicat
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
You are right -- his front end is lovely with an uphill build, nice pasterns, a touch long in the toe, but fixable. He is quite camped out and light behind and also lacks angles back there all the way down.

It depends on what your goals are -- it also depends how he moves. But I would guess (because my own horse is built a little bit "out behind" himself) that it will be harder for him to come round and step under himself and the straightness behind could also very well be a limiting factor in terms of what he is comfortable doing in the dressage arena.

If your goals are Novice/Training type of work, just going on pictures, you might have good luck, being careful of course to train with conformation in mind. Of course, you also have to consider how he's been treated ridden UP TO this point in time as that can make all the difference.

If (you are wayyyyy braver than me and!) your goals are Advanced or somesuch, I'd be much more leery. Straight behind very very often leads to soundness issues over time, discomfort in the hocks, stifles, ankles, when the horses are in heavy work and for an Upper level horse, I'd want much better conformation to start with than this.

I agree with all of this. He is a cutie though.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
honestly....you can't tell much on one photo. Sorry...but you can make them look camped out and with a tiny hind end just based on how they stand up and the angle of the photo.

I don't see anything in the photo that would scare me off...but I'd like to see him in person. If I like him in person...then I do a PPE.

They generally look VERY different in person than in one photo.

My current OTTB is well put together...but he looks NOTHING like the confo photo his seller had of him. And watching him move sold him to me any way!

As for straight behind...ever see a picture of Dan? They don't get much straighter than that! But I agree....not ideal. At the same point....most of the top event horses that I've known wouldn't win on the line and would be torn to shreds if pictures of them were posted here....and some of the horses I had with nearly PERFECT conformation were the most unsound horses I've had and in one case, you couldn't pay me to take him beyond novice (sold him as a hunter).

Zephyr
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:21 PM
Amazing shoulder and nice uphill build... 17-handers in general are harder on themselves and more prone to soundness issues in some cases just due to their size.

As long as you get a vet familiar with eventing for the PPE and he gets a clear bill of sale, he'd be worth a shot... at least, I think so!! What a cutie.

Gry2Yng
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:51 PM
Mmmmmmm!

subk
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
I like him.

I also don't think he's camped out. Take a straight edge perpendicular to the ground along his hind cannons and it hits him on the point of the butt about perfect. The photo is one of the best examples of "uphill" that I've seen in a long time.

He could use more muscling in the gaskin and his neck is a bit short and puny. But some correct dressage work will go along way in fixing that. Hind end straightness doesn't bother me. (Although Dan's career did end with a high hind suspensory which is linked with a straight hind end...)

Very short back. I'd bet he's handy as all get out, and I bet he jumps.

mjmvet
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:18 PM
armchair critique here:

I think his shoulder is pretty straight. I think his croup is really small and steep. And for my taste, he's much too straight behind. (This having been said, my girl is quite straight behind) Not my cup of tea, but might be able to do the work anyway.

purplnurpl
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:19 AM
incase anyone us wondering..this is the horse from my thread.

Flaming Chicken. : )

I still like him.

My horse is a pogo stick behind but gets 8/9 on gaits.

You really have to see them move before making a decision.

mcorbett
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not overly concerned about his angles. My mare has a very flat humerous and isn't able to pick her knees up very far, but she's got a great hindend that powers her off the ground. My main concern is that his ENGINE seems small.

I've asked for some video. I really want to see him move too!