PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Oversaturated w/Conditioner - What To Do

EqTrainer
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:44 PM
One of my clients daughters got a nice saddle for her birthday.

Every day she cleans it.. and then puts conditioner on it. Now it is saturated w/conditioner, to the point that the leather is nearly wet and everything scratches the surface off the leather.

Besides STOPPING HER what can her mother do to get the conditioner off the saddle without damaging it further?!!

KnKShowmom
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
I don't know of any way to get the conditioner "out" - I would use castile soap with a barely wet sponge to remove any still on the surface and then let warm air and time take care of the rest.

Do not use a saddle cover and keep the saddle in a heated room when not being used.

betsyk
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
Only half joking: ride in leather full seats? chaps? I like the idea of castile soap.

CatOnLap
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
it should only take a week or so in a dry warm house for most of the conditioner to absorb/evaporate and the saddle to be useable again. after that, get her a bottle of diluted spray saddle soap and ask her to just spray and wipe off- no conditioner will be needed for months, probably. Don't ride in an overconditioned saddle- the leather may stretch out permanently.