PDA

View Full Version : How to Introduce New Horse to Farm

tlw
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:52 AM
I just got a new ISH from England, who should be arriving in about 10 days. I'm trying to figure out the best way to introduce him to the other horses we have. We have 2 who have their own paddocks and 4 who share two separate paddocks. We have an empty paddock as well. I don't know if we should put the new guy in his own paddock for a bit or put him with another gelding so he doesn't feel all alone. The new guy is 9 yrs. old and we can put him with either a 22 yr. quiet, old guy or a 7 yr. old active, bossy guy.

Any thoughts on how best to assimilate the new guy? We want him to feel welcome in his new home. As always, thanks.

not again
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:16 PM
Are you going to quarantine him first, then introduce him to the others?

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
Can he meet the other horses over the fenceline? That's my favourite way to do it.

If not, maybe put him out by himself for a bit and then put the older guy with him?

paintmare
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
I would put him in his own paddock, which is hopefully next to your other paddocks. That way they can meet with a fence in between them. If your putting him in a stall next to one of those geldings, then that gives him even more chance to get to know each other. Wait a couple days and then try putting him out with his stall mate first.

Wait until you meet your new horse to decide who to put him out with, he may be too much for your old guy, or too dominant to put out with the bossy one. If he has hind shoes, then I would pull them temporarily even that way you aren't going to get sliced up horses if they don't get along.

Thomas_1
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:26 PM
3 weeks quarantine first.

No direct contact with any other horse and no allowing any other horse direct contact with anything that has just been with him..... including people.

So when the horse is in quarantine, he should be seen to after all the rest have been done and before a person goes on to another horse there should be a change of clothes and hand wash.

On arrival if he's had a long journey then he'd be best turned out into a small area first off and then he can stretch his legs and be sure not to stiffen up.

Plenty of water and just hay first few days so he doesn't colic.

Once he's finished quarantine you can start to stable him next to a friendly non aggressive horse and also to turn him out next to other horses - across good fencing.

Then once you've done that and they're all quite relaxed with each other then bring them all in for a whole day no feed that day and then turn them out together with hay spread everywhere. They'll have an overwhelming need to feed before they go bothering the newbie.