PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy's Century 21

mortebella
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if this saddle is comparable to the Jimmy's 20th Century? It says "Made in England for Jimmy's Saddlery" and I am wondering if, as is so often the case with many that have made a stellar name, the quality has plunged with later models.

As always, thanks for savvy COTH insight. :cool:

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:16 AM
I have no personal experience but I have heard on this BB others that say the quality is not what it used to be compared to the 20th Century line.

mortebella
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:12 PM
hmmmmmm...Thanks! I had not been able to find any reviews of it and the price made me suspicious too!

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:17 PM
Despite that I think Jimmy's is still quite popular, if you do a bridle search you will probably find a lot of discussion about Jimmy's.

perfecta11
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:33 PM
Jimmy's 20th century was updated into Jimmy's 21st century years ago. The earlier stuff in the 21st century line was and still remains beautiful if properly maintained because the quality is excellent. His more recent work, however, has gone a bit down hill and "custom" aspects of each individual bridle appear to have fallen a bit by the wayside. Now what is produced looks all roughly the same (the fancy stitching is still done by hand), though it is still beautiful. That being said, a year or two back there was a really, really bad batch of bridles that were oiling to the worst color, not the rich dark browns that had been associated with the tack in the past. I'm not exactly sure if his newer stuff since then has improved, I haven't seen any (I'd heard that he was retiring, but then I also saw an ad in the Chronicle to buy tack directly from him seeing as a lot of tack shops were giving up). BUT, if you can get your hands on some of the older Jimmy's 21st Century (especially before he stopped using the diamond in the center of the fancy stitching), you're guaranteed beautiful tack.

Otherwise, if you want something that looks very similar but is significantly lower in cost and oils beautifully, call up Ann K. Hubbands in Lake Bluff, IL. They've had a few bridles of their own made that are modeled to look like older Jimmy's tack and they're great.