PDA

View Full Version : anyone see Michael Matz' son in COTH?

horsechick
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
Talk about a chip off of the old block!! I had the pleasure of meeting Michael when he stabled Rhum IV with us for a week during a nearby horseshow. He was and always will be one of the "greats". Watching him show Judgement as a 5 year old was truly a privilege. What a horseman! He could make a Grand Prix course look like a Regular Working trip. Now it looks as if his son is following in his footsteps...that picture of him in the Jr. Hunt was perfection. Maybe one day we'll see him in the Grand Prix ring???:yes:

Heineken
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:28 AM
He already does the pony jumpers

bascher
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
I saw that picture...all of those pictures were adorable!

MHM
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:40 AM
That was a great picture! I loved how his fundamental position was so correct, even riding at speed. (Again, just like his dad.)

I judged him a few years ago, when he was just getting started in the short stirrup type stuff. Even then, you could tell he had a bright future.

I still remember the day at the Meadowlands when Michael judged the first round of the Maclay Finals in the morning, changed his clothes, won the Grand Prix, then changed back and judged the afternoon session of the equitation. None of those kids that day could say, "Well, I'd like to see the judge ride this course!" He did, and it was two feet higher!

Horsemanship definitely runs in the family. :cool:

Pony Soprano
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:53 AM
That was a pretty special picture!

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:14 AM
That was a great picture! I loved how his fundamental position was so correct, even riding at speed. (Again, just like his dad.)

I noticed that too, but I guess its not surprising considering who his father is. I loved that he is so proficient out of the show ring too, so many kids today just can't ride in the open.

Serah
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
Lets not forget that Michael Matz' other son, Mikey, is an amazing polo player.

MHM
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
How old is the polo-playing son?

How great that the family does different horse sports! :)

dab
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:28 AM
Mikey's got to be in his 20s -- He's been playing polo since he was a kid --

Linny
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:33 PM
His Mom is a very good rider as well. Cheshire often has a photgrapher and there are many great shots of DeeDee Matz on her (TB) hunter.

Brydelle Farm
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:48 PM
GREAT pic!!!

MHM
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:00 PM
What does Michael's daughter (Michelle?) do these days? Is she involved in the racehorses?

I remember her from when she was about two years old, playing by the campers with other young kids at horse shows. That was... a long time ago! :lol:

Jaegermonster
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:04 PM
His Mom is a very good rider as well. Cheshire often has a photgrapher and there are many great shots of DeeDee Matz on her (TB) hunter.

anybody remember DeeDee's maiden name? It escapes me now, but I do recall she was quite an accomplished rider in her own right before she married Michael.
Is anyone old enough to remember when they pulled the people out of the plane crash?

MHM
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:08 PM
anybody remember DeeDee's maiden name? It escapes me now, but I do recall she was quite an accomplished rider in her own right before she married Michael.
Is anyone old enough to remember when they pulled the people out of the plane crash?

I believe her maiden name was Alexander.

I do remember the plane crash. That was an amazing story. :eek:

MHM
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
For the younger crowd:

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/30/sports/sports-of-the-times-a-show-rider-s-longest-fall.html?scp=11&sq=michael%20matz%20plane%20crash&st=cse

Hard to believe it was so long ago....

Linny
Dec. 8, 2009, 11:23 PM
DeeDee's maiden name is indeed Alexander. I believe that she is a descendent to Robert Kleberg of King Ranch.