PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too emotional?

Savoy 8
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:54 AM
I feel like a total idiot, I am sitting here balling my eyes out, because I was looking through the CANTER website and came across a horse that is somewhat closely related to my 19 yr old gelding I had to put down last year around this time. I know I know... Lots of horses are related, but I haven't found one that close before, and then the pictures and the discription, he looks almost identical and the description, was just crazy, I mean they might as well of descripted my "Frank"... The horse is so nice looking, and right now I am with out much to ride, which is one of the reasons I am looking for a "project"... I wish more then anything I could dip into my savings and buy this horse and then of course get him down here.

My non horsey friends don't understand, and this horse was my best friend he was with me threw my grandmothers death, my parents divorce, all of high school, and went with me to school my first year of college...Packed me around the CH/AD jumpers when I had no idea what I was doing and absolutely loved his job...

zbella
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:59 AM
aww i think thats really sweet. yea most non horse people dont understand how these beautiful animals affect us. Thats so weird how that happens, how you find anotherone that remindes you so much of your horse and how closely related.

citydog
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:51 AM
I think it's sweet, too. :sadsmile: Not "too" emotional at all.

judybigredpony
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
I feel like a total idiot, I am sitting here balling my eyes out, because I was looking through the CANTER website and came across a horse that is somewhat closely related to my 19 yr old gelding I had to put down last year around this time. I know I know... Lots of horses are related, but I haven't found one that close before, and then the pictures and the discription, he looks almost identical and the description, was just crazy, I mean they might as well of descripted my "Frank"... The horse is so nice looking, and right now I am with out much to ride, which is one of the reasons I am looking for a "project"... I wish more then anything I could dip into my savings and buy this horse and then of course get him down here.

My non horsey friends don't understand, and this horse was my best friend he was with me threw my grandmothers death, my parents divorce, all of high school, and went with me to school my first year of college...Packed me around the CH/AD jumpers when I had no idea what I was doing and absolutely loved his job...

Where theres a will theres a way....call the trainer maybe there is room for considerable negotiation.

Ask around some commercial shippers used to give TB re-homers a break on shipping never hurts to ask.
See if there is someone coming close to your way were you could meet and cover just the gas??? Never hurts to flat out ask worse thing is they say no..just don't ask the trainer "To Give" you the horse. Talk to them see what options they have:yes:

gloriginger
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:18 AM
I agree with above. If you don't try you will never know- sometimes things just have a way of falling into place.

imnotclever
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just wanted to agree as well. Contact the trainer and let them know about your Frank and their horses relation. A lot of the trainers are just looking to place the horses in a good home.

You could try to contact CANTER and see if they can come up with any resources/suggestions for transporting the horse.

Oh and you're not being too emotional at all. I've actually been searching for horses related to mine. I'd be pretty emotional if I stumbled across one in need of a home.

Good Luck! Keep us updated.

Giddy-up
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:51 AM
Are you being too emotional? Probably.

But is there anything wrong with that? No. :)

My only suggestion is make sure you like the horse you are seeing & not the horse you hope it to be (your old horse).

LexInVA
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
Here's what you need to do:

1. Step back. Make some tea. Pull out your accordion and have a jam session. Calm down and relax.

2. Have someone else look at the horse and check it out for you. You're too close to the memory of Frank to make any kind of rational offer to purchase the horse. You can easily throw yourself into a bad situation with the warm fuzzy mindset.

3. Do not tell the trainer what you have told us unless absolutely necessary. You don't want to give them leverage to hornswoggle you into paying more than they might ask for otherwise.

kookicat
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
Here's what you need to do:

1. Step back. Make some tea. Pull out your accordion and have a jam session. Calm down and relax.

2. Have someone else look at the horse and check it out for you. You're too close to the memory of Frank to make any kind of rational offer to purchase the horse. You can easily throw yourself into a bad situation with the warm fuzzy mindset.

3. Do not tell the trainer what you have told us unless absolutely necessary. You don't want to give them leverage to hornswoggle you into paying more than they might ask for otherwise.

This, and hugs. :)

MIKES MCS
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
"3. Do not tell the trainer what you have told us unless absolutely necessary. You don't want to give them leverage to hornswoggle you into paying more than they might ask for otherwise".

There's just as many trainers out there that just might GIVE her the horse if they heard that story too. A lot of them would give anything to have their retiring horses end up in a forever home.

RockinHorse
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
My only suggestion is make sure you like the horse you are seeing & not the horse you hope it to be (your old horse).

Ditto:yes:

YankeeLawyer
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:55 AM
"3. Do not tell the trainer what you have told us unless absolutely necessary. You don't want to give them leverage to hornswoggle you into paying more than they might ask for otherwise".

There's just as many trainers out there that just might GIVE her the horse if they heard that story too. A lot of them would give anything to have their retiring horses end up in a forever home.

I agree.

TBMaggie
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:05 PM
Anyone who has ever loved a horse, understands why this one on Canter has you in a swoon. (I tend to only like black bays for the same reason:)). But, as all have said, be careful that you are not expecting any new horse to be 'Frank.'

But that said, oh heck - call the trainer. Go for it:yes::yes:
Good luck - I hope all works out.

Savoy 8
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ok so I have settled down a bit and am trying to think about this rationally... I have been looking for another horse, pony (something to ride) as you can see by all of my recent posts. I would love to have another tall, big boned TB and he is young so thats a plus...
I talked to the trainer and he said they are negotiable on his price, and that they would get back with me about what they would take for the horse.
Here is a link to the horses pictures.... What do you guys think?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1475:final-knockout&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=64

LexInVA
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
Pretty. I could see it being in the ring.

Sebastian
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:00 PM
He's a lovely creature. Can't hurt to give it a shot. They are open to offers...

Good luck!
Seb :)

MyGiantPony
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think he's lovely...looks like he's at Penn National - if you want me to see him in person for you, I'd be glad to - track's only about 15/20 minutes from my house.

Savoy 8
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
I think he's lovely...looks like he's at Penn National - if you want me to see him in person for you, I'd be glad to - track's only about 15/20 minutes from my house.

Your too sweet! and I may take you up on the offer, I am trying to work out possibly going up there myself... I had scheduled some time off from the 19th-23rd about a month ago, and my plans have fallen threw for x-mas with my boyfriends parents, so I still have off for a few days and nothing to do. I also have some friends that live around here and they have trotters and pacers they head to Delaware just about every weekend with the trailer to race their horses (yeah I know)... But they said they could pick him up for me and bring him back if I needed them too. I of course want to see him in person and try him out, and then have him vetted. Fingers crossed I can get up there. :D

Candle
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
Awwww..... your post made me sniffle :) Does that make me too emotional too? I'm sending all the good luck and wishes I can find to you!!!

farmgirl88
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:45 PM

hey well you know what they say about "it was meant to be"

farmgirl88
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ok so I have settled down a bit and am trying to think about this rationally... I have been looking for another horse, pony (something to ride) as you can see by all of my recent posts. I would love to have another tall, big boned TB and he is young so thats a plus...
I talked to the trainer and he said they are negotiable on his price, and that they would get back with me about what they would take for the horse.
Here is a link to the horses pictures.... What do you guys think?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1475:final-knockout&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=64

I really like the look to him. Hes a solid looking horse who is leggy but his legs seem to fit his body equally ( i like to see this). He has a nice slope to his shoulder and a nice looking/strong back. He has a nice slope to his croup showing he has some nice power to his hind end. His legs look nice in the photos, no obvious bows or overly large ankles. he has a nice head and neck with a nice eye. hes built uphill (which you want). He has really nice feet to and nice angle to his pasterns. overall he's quite the looker and an overall well put together horse. best of luck- hope you get him!

MyGiantPony
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:19 PM
Your too sweet! and I may take you up on the offer, I am trying to work out possibly going up there myself... I had scheduled some time off from the 19th-23rd about a month ago, and my plans have fallen threw for x-mas with my boyfriends parents, so I still have off for a few days and nothing to do. I also have some friends that live around here and they have trotters and pacers they head to Delaware just about every weekend with the trailer to race their horses (yeah I know)... But they said they could pick him up for me and bring him back if I needed them too. I of course want to see him in person and try him out, and then have him vetted. Fingers crossed I can get up there. :D

Let me know - I can also rec. several good vets.

Summit Springs Farm
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:35 PM
He looks awesome to me, go for it, but just make sure you can afford him, the last thing you want to do is have him on the give aways because you couldn't afford the upkeep.:no:

And price is sooooo negotiable!!!;)

Clarence
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hi,

I don't think you are too emotional. He is a nice horse. I hope it works out.

Being a non-native speaker I had to read this sentence again:

threw my grandmothers death

First thought was "why would she love a horse that killed both her grandmothers." Then I got it.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

2ndyrgal
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:00 PM
Since riders without a license at the track are a no no. But you could see him in his morning work with someone else riding and of course have him vetted. The owners have him priced appropriately based on his looks and his apparent temperment.

adelmo95
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:16 PM
I don't think you are being over emotional. That being said it is coming from a person who's most recent horse was bought for all the wrong reasons;
- It was the baby of a mare I used to own
- The owners were willing to trade her for a 16.3 hand OTTB mare that I had that will make a great eventer/jumper but not a dressage horse which is what I was looking for

The mare I got is a 3 year old, 15 hand chestnut mare who was an orphan; not exactly the type of horse many would want but so far I absolutely love her, she is a great mover, has an amazing mind, and I fit her fine since I am not very tall. They love the thoroughbred mare that I traded so for a horse I acquired for the wrong reasons everything has worked out very well.

danceronice
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
Personally? I think he's overpriced. For me to pay that much for one straight out of the barn he'd have to be already started under non-racing tack. I just bought an apparent saint of an OTTB, sound and mannerly, well-built with a lovely head, for $600. There are horses being given away out of some trainers' barns. I really wouldn't pay $2499 for one who's fresh off the track in this market.

He has a nice shoulder and he's certainly well-balanced. And considering the deciding factor on which fire-sale Fingers Lakes horse I bought was that he has Crafty Admiral on his sire's dam side and a fairly obscure Florida stallion named Greek Game on his dam's, making him as close as I am likely to get to duplicating my last OTTB, I am not at all going to say you're being too emotional.

jen-s
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:08 PM
He's gorgeous and I also don't think you're being too emotional. Sounds like the stars might even be aligning and things could work out--I'd say that's a great karmic sign for those who believe in that. Good luck!

billiebob
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe you're being overly emotional. Doesn't matter, that's a nice animal there. Get him anyway. He looks like he'll be very impressive once he fills out.

For the record, I'm usually the naysayer in situations like this. But I picked that horse out in my "I Wish" window-shopping this weekend. :)

Meredith Clark
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:35 PM
1) you're not being to emotional

2) I hate being a pessimist but it really makes me nervous when people post CANTER horses on here (if they really want them). When Shorty was on CANTER i posted him here and the trainer told me that 3 people from a "chat room or something" called about him but since I had called first he wanted to give me the opportunity. I mentioned it in an up-date post after he was safe at my barn and people on COTH ADMITTED to trying to take him out from under me... :confused:

3) Be careful with horses that are too familiar. The horse I talked about above, Shorty, died last Feb and I got another OTTB soon after (my other horse couldn't be alone). Anyway.. the new guy looked a LOT like Shorty and it was actually really hard on me because he wasn't Shorty.

Good luck! I hope he finds a good home and you find a good horse :yes:

buschkn
Dec. 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
I think he looks lovely, but also think he is overpriced. I have bought a lot of nice horses off the track and most have been under $1500, sound, and sane. Good luck.

Also agree that it is awfully crappy for people to try and "buy a horse out from under" people on the forum. Like those horses aren't posted online all the time. If you want a CANTER cutie, People, go scour the sites and pick one for yourself. JEEZ!