PDA

View Full Version : Possible new mare- UPDATE PAGE 2

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:53 PM
Here is a new horse I am considering. I still have to take her to get vetted, but I want the COTH opinion.

She is a 5 yo buckskin QH/Dutch Warmblood/Holsteiner mare. She is green broke. Was started as a 3 yo and did walk, trot, canter, and low fences and hen her owner went to college and the parents turned her out. She has essentially sat in a field for 2 years. I rode her today and she is green but super honest. She hasnt been ridden in a month (and not much before that) and we walked and trotted both ways. Got her to canter but she had a super hard time staying in the canter. I think it is because her hindend is so weak.

Anyways, I popped her over a x-rail and a small vertical and she was so honest and unimpressed by the jumps. She just trotted over them. (granted they were less than 2 feet.)

Without further ado....here is her pic.... tell me all the good and bad... I want an eventer as my mom has stolen my QH mare Missy and made her her own.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=41236119&l=8903e177a5&id=29605780

eventingismylife
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:59 PM
I like her, plus she doesnt look too bad for sitting for about 2 years. She sounds like a nice mare, and one that you could do lots with. I would critique her confo, but it is pretty hard with tack on.

CookiePony
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:47 AM
I was going to ask what happened to Missy....

She looks quite nice to me but the best part is your description of her temperament. If she is as honest and good-natured as she sounds, then even if she does not work out as an UL prospect she will be enjoyable, and resellable if need be.

foxhavenfarm
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:27 AM
If she doesn't work out for you, you can just send her to me! :winkgrin:

JER
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:35 AM
I got as far as 'buckskin QH' and turned green with envy.

:)

Kairoshorses
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
Cute, cute, cute! I really like her.

Lori B
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
I think she's cute, and I like what you have to say about her attitude. Attitude is everything, IMHO. She sounds kind and unflapped.

annikak
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:04 PM
Super looking horse! Is that you holding her??

TB or not TB?
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
She's buckskin - who cares about the rest?! :D

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:25 PM
No it's my mom holding her. She really is so sweet and not to mention pretty!!!

My mom has claimed Missy for herself and Missy is in love with the idea!!!! Missy jigs and spooks with me on trails(just around the ranch) but walks with her head down and on the buckle with my mom on her!! It's so cute!! Missy has clearly made her decision on who she prefers and mom won :). My mom was looking for a horse so it worked out.

I will try to get a profile shot this weekend and a video of her OMG-floaty-trot!!!! She rides a lot like Holly did gait-wise. I am totally in love with her and hope she vets and I can get her bought for the right price!

OlmosHeaven
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:46 PM
She's a big girl, isn't she? Good luck with the vetting, etc. Say hi to your mom for me.

flea
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
What a nice horse! And my favorite color which is sooo important!:) Keep us posted on her progress!

spurgirl
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:20 PM
She looks totally unsuitable! Send her to CT at once;)...Hope the vetting goes well, and you become a great team! Good Luck!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:22 PM
She's buckskin - who cares about the rest?! :D

that was my thought too!:D I like her a lot.

EqTrainer
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:26 PM
I love QH/WBx's, seem to take the doh! out of the WB and the make me! out of the QH. She's lovely and what a color :)

Gry2Yng
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:17 PM
My mom has claimed Missy for herself and Missy is in love with the idea!!!! Missy jigs and spooks with me on trails(just around the ranch) but walks with her head down and on the buckle with my mom on her!! It's so cute!! Missy has clearly made her decision on who she prefers and mom won :). My mom was looking for a horse so it worked out.

Funny how they do that. Good on you for being a good sport about it. Cute pony! Don't like buckskins or QH and I still can't find anything bad to say.

twofatponies
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:30 PM
Wow nice! Are there more like her where you got that one? The attitude sounds awesome.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:57 PM
I love her!!

It's funny b/c my name is Meredith (duh) and I have a dog named "bella" who's the same color! Totally fate ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:12 PM
Lucky you! Lovely and substantial mare, and we are all envious. (And great attitude and color to BOOT!?!? Yeah, you must be getting some kind of "Karma payback" from good deeds done in a past life ;))

Good luck with her, nothing to pick apart from me (and I am pretty picky...)

Please keep us posted on her progress!

skip916
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:12 PM
congrats on the possible new horse! her breeding is a cool combo and with a topline and some muscle she will be super flashy! what a good find!

badawg
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:42 AM
***droooooollll****

Nice find!! Wow. She's a keeper for sure! She looks like what you describe right now, but I see no glaringly obvious faults-really nice engine behind! She doesn't look as big as you describe, which means she's probably super compact! Like!

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 8, 2009, 03:44 PM
***droooooollll****

Nice find!! Wow. She's a keeper for sure! She looks like what you describe right now, but I see no glaringly obvious faults-really nice engine behind! She doesn't look as big as you describe, which means she's probably super compact! Like!

I "sticked" her with my makeshift stick at 17.0 1/2H at the withers! This is the same stick I measured Holly (RIP) with. On my stick Holly was 17.1 1/2H and her passport had her measured at 17.2 3/4H so my stick is close enough that I wont argue with it!!! For a point of reference in the photo... my mom stands at 5'4".

Bella is a big girl but rides like she is 16Hs. For being as green as she is she is pretty balanced and sits on her rear. I think her mommy is QH/Dutch Warmblood as her daddy is registered with the Holestiner Assoc. He daddy is beautiful!

Her owners are bringing her over on Friday afternoon and I have her all weekend to play with, fall in love with and hopefully set up a vet appointment.

I will let ya'll know Monday what the decision is. I will also post more pictures and get a video.

Gry2- it is funny how they choose! I was all set to gear Missy back up and try and get us qualified for AQHA World Show next Novemeber in the Amateur Jumping (3'3"-3'6") but I guess Missy has other plans in mind. I love the idea of my mom (who is not too experienced) riding a horse that I have had for a year and know in and out versus Mom getting a new horse who we dont know all of the quirks! I want mom to be safe and have fun and if Missy does that for her I will be glad to turn Missy's reins over to her.

Flea & Olmos- Maybe we will see ya'll out and about in the CTEA now that Mom has a horse to ride and if I get Bella! Yay for the old group getting back together!!!!!!!

EqTrainer- I have a Palomino QH/Trak that I showed (Sir Peach E. Keen) and he was AWESOME! Built like a Trak, moved like a Trak, but mind of the QH. I am a BIG HUGE fan of the QH/Warmblood crosses!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that Bella passes her vetting and is "the right fit" for me!!!!!!

Falconfree
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:29 PM
I hope she vets okay. What a cutie! And she has had plenty of time to grow up without being overworked, so hopefully she will stay sound for you for a loooong time. :) Post more photos!

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 8, 2009, 09:02 PM
I "sticked" her with my makeshift stick at 17.0 1/2H at the withers! This is the same stick I measured Holly (RIP) with. On my stick Holly was 17.1 1/2H and her passport had her measured at 17.2 3/4H so my stick is close enough that I wont argue with it!!! For a point of reference in the photo... my mom stands at 5'4".

Bella is a big girl but rides like she is 16Hs. For being as green as she is she is pretty balanced and sits on her rear. I think her mommy is QH/Dutch Warmblood as her daddy is registered with the Holestiner Assoc. He daddy is beautiful!

Her owners are bringing her over on Friday afternoon and I have her all weekend to play with, fall in love with and hopefully set up a vet appointment.

I will let ya'll know Monday what the decision is. I will also post more pictures and get a video.

Gry2- it is funny how they choose! I was all set to gear Missy back up and try and get us qualified for AQHA World Show next Novemeber in the Amateur Jumping (3'3"-3'6") but I guess Missy has other plans in mind. I love the idea of my mom (who is not too experienced) riding a horse that I have had for a year and know in and out versus Mom getting a new horse who we dont know all of the quirks! I want mom to be safe and have fun and if Missy does that for her I will be glad to turn Missy's reins over to her.

Flea & Olmos- Maybe we will see ya'll out and about in the CTEA now that Mom has a horse to ride and if I get Bella! Yay for the old group getting back together!!!!!!!

EqTrainer- I have a Palomino QH/Trak that I showed (Sir Peach E. Keen) and he was AWESOME! Built like a Trak, moved like a Trak, but mind of the QH. I am a BIG HUGE fan of the QH/Warmblood crosses!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that Bella passes her vetting and is "the right fit" for me!!!!!!

Okay, so please share--who *is* the daddy? I am (sort of) stallion shopping, though I do NOT want a 17 hh horse! :eek: My mare is 15'3" (Dutch/TB cross), and I am looking to (ideally) get something in the 16.0 16.1 hh range.

Meanwhile, good luck with her; fingers crossed that the vetting goes well!

tx3dayeventer
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:17 PM
Bad news!!!

The owners upped her price to $10,000!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:!!!!

That is 4 times what I was originally told. I guess I am not getting a new horse after all!

$10,000 for a green broke 5 y.o who doesnt yield to leg pressure and pops her shoulders and runs the other way when asked to turn is just a little too much for me to spend. Especially in this economy.

Oh well! I guess there is another one out there for me somewhere.

Lori B
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
Horse pricing can be highly highly disconnected from reality.

skip916
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
ugh!!! sooo disappointing!! they must have read what everyone was writing on this thread.
:( boo.

there is another on out there for you! dont be in a hurry and good luck!

AppJumpr08
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:35 PM
Bummer :(
She is wicked cute, but absolutely not worth 10k with the training she (hasn't) had.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 11, 2009, 05:38 PM
Bummer :(
She is wicked cute, but absolutely not worth 10k with the training she (hasn't) had.

Agreed. There will be another one...

ACMEeventing
Dec. 11, 2009, 06:53 PM
New Rule:

We need a secret code-word when someone posts a potential new purchase, thereby keeping all of our jealous accolades private until the purchase is complete;)

Sorry about the $ change, that stinks-on-ice. You are very wise to stay level-headed about it and keep looking.

eventingismylife
Dec. 11, 2009, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry! It sounds like you guys would have been perfect together, it is such a bummer...

wolfmare
Dec. 12, 2009, 02:39 AM
I had the price on my current horse jacked when I went to see him too. I said, "no thank you", as I was willing to pay a fair price, not an inflated due to a flurry of interest one. I recieved a call a month or two later when they realized thier mistake in trying to inflate his cost.
Wouldn't hurt to let them know you are interested in hearing back when they realize they made a mistake and can't move her.
I've seen a couple really nice prospects with training level schooling for 10 grand in these times!
Either way, I believe you will find just the right partner. Good Luck!

Debbie
Dec. 12, 2009, 06:49 AM
Awww, I was late to this party. Love the mare -- too big for me, but love her. Absolutely no on $10K. I've been shopping for a friend and $10K can go a looooong way on even a nice, floaty, mover that's further along than this mare sounds.

The buckskin is special and I LOVE me some bucksin pony, but you don't ride the color and I wouldn't pay 2x what the mare is worth in this market for it. :no:

judybigredpony
Dec. 12, 2009, 07:55 AM
Bad news!!!

The owners upped her price to $10,000!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:!!!!

That is 4 times what I was originally told. I guess I am not getting a new horse after all!

$10,000 for a green broke 5 y.o who doesnt yield to leg pressure and pops her shoulders and runs the other way when asked to turn is just a little too much for me to spend. Especially in this economy.

Oh well! I guess there is another one out there for me somewhere.

How in the world did they dare to jack the price. Was it a firm agreed price when you went to try her or just a nebulous we think maybe $$??
Was she advertised anywhre w/ the orginall price on the ad and no cavet saying price may go up??

I sell horses and and wouldn't dare to think about jacking a price and once when I had raised a price $1K on one ad but forgot to addendum my webb site I honored the lowere price in fair play.
Who ups a price 4X???

TB or not TB?
Dec. 12, 2009, 04:05 PM
I would just thank them for your time, explain that is out of your budget, and if they reconsider you would like to try her again. No more, no less.

I hope they reconsider and honor the original price, but people can be weird about money. :rolleyes:

AppJumpr08
Dec. 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
How in the world did they dare to jack the price. Was it a firm agreed price when you went to try her or just a nebulous we think maybe $$??
Was she advertised anywhre w/ the orginall price on the ad and no cavet saying price may go up??

I sell horses and and wouldn't dare to think about jacking a price and once when I had raised a price $1K on one ad but forgot to addendum my webb site I honored the lowere price in fair play.
Who ups a price 4X???

Happened to a friend of mine a few years back... she paid for the PPE, and upon clean x-rays the owner upped the price by ALOT (I don't remember exactly how much, but it was by 10s of thousands I believe). Claimed it was because the kids were heartbroken that he was being sold, but the night she sent that email to the buyer, she'd edited his sale page to include clean x-rays with the inflated price. :no::no: