PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Horse Treats?

fatorangehorse
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
Does anyone else make their own horse cookies? I'd love to hear your favorite recipes. I have a batch brewing as we speak.

1/2 cup oil
1 cup molasses
1/4 corn meal
2 puree'd apples
favorite grain (I used pellet, oat mix)
flour to firm up batter (1-2 cups)
Peppermints or other treat toppers

Mixed it all together except flour. Let sit 20 mins or so for grain to soak up yummy flavors. Mix in enough flour to make workable. Smooth out on cookie sheets to 1/2 inch thickness. Bake 350 20 min. Remove from oven cut into squares. Add peppermints on top. Return to oven bake 10 more mins or so until peppermints are all melty.

Take out and cool. I let sit overnight, so they get nice and crunchy - that's how my ponies seem to prefer them.

starrysky
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:25 PM
How much grain do you add? I am hoping to pick these items up to try this recipe - I've never made homemade treats before!

Windswept Stable
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
that sure sounds good-- will try a batch today - I was about to google homemade horse treats anyway!

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm too lazy, its so easy to buy them. ;) I have been baking Christmas cookies though, maybe I will give some of those to the pony. :D

TesignedInGold
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:43 PM
I just wrote an article on Home-made horse treats, and included a great recipe!

Tried & True - Horse Treat Recipes! (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2461182/tried_true_horse_treat_recipies.html)

fatorangehorse
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:28 PM
I used about a pound or pound and a half (or 1/2 or so of big coffee can). My ponies went crazy when I went up to the barn today.