PDA

View Full Version : Run In Interior Height Requirements?

Penthilisea
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:07 PM
Building a run-in structure, peak height of the building is roughly 8.5/9 feet high. Wondering if this will be adequate for 16.1 and 15.2 hand horses of advanced age (ie NOT prone to rearing or silliness)? This is a run in with 24/7 pasture access, so they will not be stuck inside.

Catersun
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:10 PM
what is the lowest part? should be ok I would think.

dmalbone
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:33 PM
Our overhangs are a little over 9 at the peak with 7 1/2' clearance. I'd like it taller, but as long as there are no sharp edges that they can rear up and hit it should be fine. Standard dutch door height is 7' if I remember correctly and they go in and out of those just fine.

ReSomething
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
DH has a pile of small farm books including one with plans for a small stable, the interior height to the bottom of the rafter is 8' 41/2", and the ground is graded away so that the height of the lowest point of the overhang is 8' 6". It is a 34' by 22' two stall, small tack room and small feed room affair with a covered walkway in front, gable roof, gable ends on the 22' sides.

Unfortunately they don't give the overall height of the structure but they do give rise over run at 3" per 12", so (guessing here pretty much) 11 feet times 3" is equal to 33 inches or 3 feet which would make the roof 11 feet high in the center. (they have a footnote about that roof being too flat for high snowfall areas)

I personally have used 8 foot tall spaces in a wash rack and grooming stall, the 15hh low headed type felt OK but the 16hh highheaded ASB had me a little worried. If I went with 8 1/2 feet I would use a shed roof and slope it down toward the closed side, to try not to have a low point anywhere the horse(s) was going to travel freely.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:32 AM
That sound awfully short to me. Mine have sloped roofs with the lowest point in the back of 10' & the front being 11'. Keeps the summer heat from beating down on them through the tin roofs & allows plenty of head room & air flow for them. You might be building for the older horses now but do you think you'll have younger ones in there sometime? I found out that it's just not that much more expensive to add height to a shed.

Mali
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
I based my height off of the suggestions from Penn State, which stated 10' for the lowest part. I'm happy with that height and my horses are both 15.3.

dmalbone
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
I did want to add after reading these comments and thinking about it, that even though mine isn't ideal, I guess my overhang isn't really the same as a run-in. Our overhang is open on all sides (except for that against the barn of course) and I tried to picture it closed in like a run-in and think that would be fairly cramped. Our whole barn is 9'6" tall at the eaves, so having a taller building/overhang wasn't an option. It would be great if the whole barn was taller, but at least it's open on most sides.