PDA

View Full Version : Good trainers in Flemington NJ area?

donkeyears
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
Any suggestions for a good (but reasonably priced) H/J trainer in the Ringoes/Flemington/Hillsborough area (within 20 min or so). Advanced H/J rider with a green OTTB looking for a trainer who works well with young thoroughbreds. Do not want a trainer that screams, demeans, or tells me to buy an expensive warmblood :)

Evan O'Donnell and Bob Cole have been suggested to me...any thoughts?

If you prefer to email, please feel free... donkeyears04@gmail.com

Thanks

OAK
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
I second Bob Cole !!!

hideyourheart03
Dec. 6, 2009, 07:51 PM
Kathy Kunsman is awesome. Tough, but awesome. She breeds some TBs too, so she knows a lot about them and ways to work with them. IDK if she's moved or not, as the last time I was up there, she was looking for a new farm. Her farm name is Glen Eden.

meupatdoes
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:04 PM
Gary Kunsman and AJ Garrity are in Flemington and they are great, as well as reasonably priced relative to other places in the area.

Gary is happy to work with a TB and brought out the best in both me and my (ottb) horse when I was riding with them.

They are also very gentle with the horses and you won't see them bullying a horse EVER. The horses are not longed or jumped to death either.

Their website is www.fourseasonshorsesales.com

ToN Farm
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:09 PM
Linda Sheridan! Unfortunately, she'll be in Florida for the Winter season.

Penthilisea
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:52 AM
Isn't Scott Stewart around?

meupatdoes
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:15 AM
Isn't Scott Stewart around?

Um, I think by "reasonably priced" the OP did not mean, "charges a fortune however deservedly so and is on the road all the time so start at WEF and work your way back to NJ come Spring."

equit8
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:22 AM
Steven Rivettes would also be a good one to talk to.

harr754
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:55 PM
I second Gary Kunsman.

poloprincess
Dec. 13, 2009, 02:24 PM
Laura Chapot is located in Neshanic Station which is about 10 or 15 minutes from Flemington. She is a great trainer and gives great lessons but focuses more on jumpers. She has many clients that have OTTBs and she has several herself.

superpony123
Dec. 13, 2009, 03:20 PM
Sarah Doelher at Hidden Brook Farm. She's working with an OTTB she bought recently, actually, and she's worked with them before. she tells me stories about her junior hunter from when she was a kid, whom she bought for nothing at the tracks. and made him into a jr hunter that won in vermont and other big shows. I think she's extremely level headed (now come on, think about this: how often do you find a truly down to earth and smart trainer?) and does an incredible job of managing the barn. She really does try her hardest to make the right program for everyone, and does a good job of it. I am just a working student of hers, but I think she's been the best addition to the barn (i've been at HBF for years) we've ever had.

Hidden Brook is in Bedminster, NJ

chillydc
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:15 PM
Laura Chapot is great and very down to earth! I highly recommend!