PDA

View Full Version : Stirrup leathers that don't rub

KathyR
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:39 PM
OK, I have calves that stirrup leathers always rub. I run 2 miles every morning and have developed calves that have no padding across the shin area. I would really like to find leathers that don't rub-even with tall boots. I'd like to find these for my hubby to give me for Christmas-any suggestions?

PineHillFarm
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:53 PM
Have you tried using Mountain Horse winter boots? The best way to not get rubbed is to do lots of no stirrup work. A tighter lower leg will help more than any stirrup leathers. Ask hubby for more riding time! :)

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
I think that getting rubs from your stirrup leathers is generally the result of an unstable lower leg, not an issue with the leathers. No stirrups work and lots of time in 2 point and vertical far will likely make a MUCH larger difference in the rubs than a new pair of leathers will.

(Of course, if you can get a nice new pair of leathers out of it, blaming the old ones sounds okay to me! Who doesn't love new tack?!)
(edited to add: I'm serious about that, so please don't think I'm being snappy or anything :lol:)

jn4jenny
Dec. 6, 2009, 07:16 PM
Agree w/ advice above, but if you want to protect yourself, maybe a sturdier half chap or boot would make more sense than a new stirrup leather?

I've gotten rubbed by even the nicest, softest, most padded calfskin leathers. So I speak from experience. ;)

lesson junkie
Dec. 6, 2009, 07:45 PM
How about irons that don't twist the leather across the front of your leg? Herm Sprenger, and others make irons with an offset eye. That might help you.

It's Christmas-I'd try for the complete iron/leather package.

hunter-jumper-rider
Dec. 6, 2009, 07:52 PM
Antares and CWD make nice leathers, however your problem may be more with your boots and/or lower leg.....just food for thought :)

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
I agree about working on your lower leg but if you can get new leathers out of it-- have you seen Prestige's "fender" stirrup leathers (http://www.laselleria.com/prestige.php?padre=5&cat=7&id=66)? :cool:

Platinum Equestrian
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:55 PM
I really like Bates stirrup leathers.

Mimi La Rue
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have super soft calfskin leathers and still get rubs/burns even when wearing tall boots. I have an unstable leg though so that is where I get my rubs. I wrap my leg in the spots I get rubs with vet wrap and that helps out a lot. Until I am able to get a strong and stable leg, I will have to do that regardless of which leathers I ride in.

wildlifer
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
I agree -- sounds like a combination of inadequate protection and tense/unstable lower leg. It is HARD to find properly padded half chaps these days, they've all gone to those horrid "close contact" things and for people with sensitive skin (me!), they do nothing. I have to have either tall boots or half chaps with a real pad on the inside of the calf to not get chewed up.

00Jumper
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:50 PM
I ride in exercise breeches and ProChaps, which are very thin (and when I show I ride in Monacos, which are thinner . . .). I rarely get rubs, but my lower leg is pretty stable. Right now I ride in CWD leathers, which are butter soft and wonderful. Before, I rode in Antares leathers, which were thicker and less pliable but did the job just the same.

Although I think your problem may have deeper root in an unstable lower leg, CWD leathers are worth a try and oh, so wonderful. :winkgrin: You could also try thicker half chaps (Ariat makes a thicker, sturdier type, and it's slipping my mind right now as to what it's called - Crown Pro maybe?) and not riding in jeans. Other than that, I would say forget about your stirrups altogether - take them off the saddle and get that lower leg tighter! :D If it doesn't help the rubbing, at least you'll have a stronger base and more secure leg to show for it!

Go Fish
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:13 PM
Knee socks...a bitch to wear in the summer, but they help a lot.

Rockfish
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:18 PM
I agree -- sounds like a combination of inadequate protection and tense/unstable lower leg. It is HARD to find properly padded half chaps these days, they've all gone to those horrid "close contact" things and for people with sensitive skin (me!), they do nothing. I have to have either tall boots or half chaps with a real pad on the inside of the calf to not get chewed up.

seconded.....rubs can also becaused by bracing against the iron.....I used to be real bad about that, but once ther habit got corrected, I stopped getting rubs. I would have my leg so jambed that any movement of the leather, would take meat off my leg, no matter how thick my chaps were.

PNWjumper
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:40 PM
I agree on working on the root of why you're getting rubbed.

With that being said, the MDC Intelligence Stirrups were created for that issue: http://www.mdccorporation.us/products/stirrups/index.html

I have them on all of my saddles. But I will say that I've never had stirrup leathers rub my shin, so I can't comment on how effective they are at reducing that. I bought them because I ride with my stirrups "backwards" and having the ability to ride with the stirrups twisted out to a 90 degree angle is fabulous for me :)

Gunnar
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:05 PM
You must try the Jockey Leggings. I will not get on without them! Dover has them for sale! http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35105&ids=654567004

I like the thicker ones over tall socks!

BAC
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
Right now I ride in CWD leathers, which are butter soft and wonderful.

Although I think your problem may have deeper root in an unstable lower leg, CWD leathers are worth a try and oh, so wonderful. :winkgrin:

I agree about CWD leathers, I love mine and they are the softest leather around. Hard to imagine getting a rub from them, I agree with the others that its probably an unstable leg causing the rubs.

Gunnar
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
I agree about CWD leathers, I love mine and they are the softest leather around. Hard to imagine getting a rub from them, I agree with the others that its probably an unstable leg causing the rubs.

I have a deavocoux saddle and leathers with soft supple qualites and yet I could still get rubs! . I do not beleive my lower leg is unstable so that answer is hogwash. I really think it depends on your confirmation. I have skinny calves and bony shins. Well right now I have a badly broken leg so it does not matter!:sadsmile:

*Liz*
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
I have a deavocoux saddle and leathers with soft supple qualites and yet I could still get rubs! . I do not beleive my lower leg is unstable so that answer is hogwash. I really think it depends on your confirmation. I have skinny calves and bony shins.

And I tend to disagree, I really think it has more to do with how efficiently a rider uses his/her leg. I'm very skinny with extra-slim calves (and bony everything!) and the only time I ever get a rub from the stirrup leathers is if I ride in just loose jeans (which I haven't even done in years.) I ride daily in a Devoucoux and have never had a rub while wearing boots or chaps. Maybe I'm alone, but I don't know of any professional or proficient amateur rider who routinely gets rubs from their leathers - to me, that says their leg leaves something to be desired.

goeslikestink
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:52 PM
I think that getting rubs from your stirrup leathers is generally the result of an unstable lower leg, not an issue with the leathers. No stirrups work and lots of time in 2 point and vertical far will likely make a MUCH larger difference in the rubs than a new pair of leathers will.

(Of course, if you can get a nice new pair of leathers out of it, blaming the old ones sounds okay to me! Who doesn't love new tack?!)
(edited to add: I'm serious about that, so please don't think I'm being snappy or anything :lol:)

echo this advice and you also want to make sure your leathers are at the correct lenght
look here i explain how to alter the stirrups leathers

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116

maxiford812
Dec. 7, 2009, 09:30 PM
You must try the Jockey Leggings. I will not get on without them! Dover has them for sale! http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-35105&ids=654567004

I like the thicker ones over tall socks!

I wear these, too, and have never gotten a rub with them on. Love 'em!

AnotherRound
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:46 AM
I've never gotten a rub from stirrup leathers. I can't imagine a material which would rub or not rub. The ONLY reason you are getting rubs is because your lower leg is moving/swinging. It should be like a rock - see the recent thread on "no stirrup month" and spend several weeks without stirrups. Your leg shouldn't be moving when you ride.