PDA

View Full Version : The chookies hate the snow

foggybok
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
an inch of snow fell last night. The chookies are not pleased and have informed me that I should remove it at once. If I do not comply, they will take over the hay barn.....

pintopiaffe
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
Foggybok, I'm no help whatsoever on the problem at hand...

But just smiled at the use of "chook".

I have a friend in Oz who taught me that term, and I use it all the time. No one up he'ah has any idear what I'm talking about. :p

foggybok
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:23 PM
LOL, I think I picked up the term here (can't remember who used it first, maybe it was you! :) ) and it just seemed so perfect..... so I use it all the time now...

Getting ready for my trip down under I guess......

I also use "no worries" all the time.....

Calvincrowe
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well, Foggy, my ladies are quite put out that the wind is blowing a stiff 30+mph, with much higher gusts. I am afraid they might be blown over the barn!! but, they refuse to stay in their inside coop, so they are out in the wind, pecking at the solidly frozen ground. Do they make chookie blankets?:lol:

foggybok
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well, Foggy, my ladies are quite put out that the wind is blowing a stiff 30+mph, with much higher gusts. I am afraid they might be blown over the barn!! but, they refuse to stay in their inside coop, so they are out in the wind, pecking at the solidly frozen ground. Do they make chookie blankets?:lol:

yes, mine have a perfectly good house to keep them warm, hubby put in R-16 insulation, (it's better insulated than our house!), but when I arrived this morning they were all at the window demanding to be let out. I opened the door and as the first one came down the ramp, she stopped in her tracks and started squawking "what is this stuff, I do NOT like it!" ... But they wanted out, so out they came....complaining the whole way. They are now snuggled up in my hay, a place I'd rather they not be...... They could go back into their nice little house, but noooooo

We don't seem to be getting the bad wind, but it is cold out there.....

lolalola
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't know about blankets, but in this month's issue of Backyard Poultry there is an ad for camoflauge jackets that are supposed to keep hawks away from chickens.

Trixie
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Lola, that's not online anywhere, is it? Mr. Trixie would have a fit. :lol:

Calvincrowe
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:22 PM
Let me tell ya, the ladies could definitely use a coat, camo or not, tonight. We are expecting lows in the teens (our normals are lows in the upper 30's or 40's) and seriously, winds sustained at 30mph, gusts to 60. Granted they are in their house (barn) tonight...but what do I do tomorrow? Highs will be in the 20's, winds sustaining the same speeds. Should I just leave them inside?? The house is smallish for 12 ladies to be in all day.

foggybok
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:40 PM
Let me tell ya, the ladies could definitely use a coat, camo or not, tonight. We are expecting lows in the teens (our normals are lows in the upper 30's or 40's) and seriously, winds sustained at 30mph, gusts to 60. Granted they are in their house (barn) tonight...but what do I do tomorrow? Highs will be in the 20's, winds sustaining the same speeds. Should I just leave them inside?? The house is smallish for 12 ladies to be in all day.

Temps will be similar here, I'm going to give them the option. They know where the house is if they want it... I checked their water in the house and it was not frozen, so it does stay warm in there.... My guess is tomorrow they'll head for the haybarn once again.... Today I saw chookie tracks at the back door, so someone made it up this far...One scout sent up here to investigate if they could get in where the warm fire was burning would be my guess.......

JSwan
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:47 AM
I don't know about blankets, but in this month's issue of Backyard Poultry there is an ad for camoflauge jackets that are supposed to keep hawks away from chickens.

But what about the blaze orange so hunters don't mistake them for turkeys? I have a few Naked Neck Turkens!!! :lol:

Good Lord what will they think of next!

foggybok - never heard that word before - but I figured you were referring to your chickens. What's the history behind that word?

Mine are very very very very very very grumpy. And confused.

Some refuse to leave the coop - they just sit in there plotting world domination.

maunder
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have a very happy Dutch Bantam called Hamish that has just moved inside into the canary flight cage. Canaries now reside in another flight cage ;).

Hamish was just too cold. He wouldn't sit under the provided heat lamp and was moping around. He wouldn't snuggle with the other chickens and was shivering....and it's not even truly COLD here in New York yet....so....

He's enjoyed several naps, some homemade bread, chicken scratch and chicken kibble and now he's watching me type (He's in my little home office).

I had to already explain what the odd noise was that a client heard when I was on the phone - ha ha. Hamish likes to talk too! :cool: I'll be all set until he decides to crow, in which case I'll have to be peeled off the ceiling.

Hamish will enjoy several trips outside and little outings each day because he'll still need to be a chicken - even if he is a house chicken.....

foggybok
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:58 PM
foggybok - never heard that word before - but I figured you were referring to your chickens. What's the history behind that word?

I picked it up here from pintopiaffe I think, I've also seen it on backyard chickens... I thought it was the perfect word for the beasts.... It appears to be Australian in origin, chook or chookie means hen in Aussie... Also can be used as a slang term for a woman... like we would use "chick" I guess....

2DogsFarm
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:16 PM

OMG :lol:
Do the jackets come with little rifles?
Or better yet: shotguns so the chooks can bag their own hawks?

Foggy - tell your girls they are wimps.
My Gang of 5 is still roaming the frozen henyard even though they could be inside the coop where I have piled up the shavings x-tra deep.
One Good Thing about Winter:
Scooping frozen poops in the coop is easier. :yes:
One Bad Thing:
My Chicken Muckbucket has a frozen mass of poop in it. guess I shouldn't leave it outside... :no:

JumpWithPanache
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hamish likes to talk too! :cool: I'll be all set until he decides to crow, in which case I'll have to be peeled off the ceiling.

Thanks for the chuckle... needed that.

Our farm's chickens (60 something RIRs) are dealing with (chicken) knee-deep mud, but certainly not the temps y'all have. The ducks of course are loving the standing puddles.

maunder
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hamish just had his little walk around the back yard (it's snowing) and happily trotted after me to come back in. He's now perched and napping in the nice warm office. :cool:

pintopiaffe
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:12 PM
But Hamish the House Rooster doesn't sound quite right. For artistic purposes
it should be Hamish the House Hen. :yes: That completely cracks me up that he trotted right back in. Spoilt much?

Chooks are chooks because of the sound they make... chook,chook,chooo-ok... at least that's what my Aussie friend claimed to taught it to me. She thought that we were quite foolish, that even WITH a 'Murkin accent, they *don't cluck.* :no: :lol:

deltawave
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:29 PM
After tasking my gearhead hubby two months ago with the job of getting the 400-pound chicken coop inside the barn for the winter, the snow started flying Friday and the coop was still outside. :sigh:

So on Saturday afternoon, with hardly an engineering innovation in sight, we muscled, heaved, shoved and slid the damn thing into the barn. Having a little snow on the ground helped, but so much for being married to an engineer who was going to be innovative about it! :lol:

Chickens were NOT PLEASED to go out in the snow, particularly for the two hours it took us to move the coop, wherein they had NO choice. Now they are happy in the storage area, nice and dry, heat lamp in place. I am a little unhappy at the gigantic incursion on my storage space, but glad the "big move" is over and now shall reset the clock on the engineering feat of moving it back OUT again in the spring. :D

I think "chookies" was in Thorn Birds, if anyone remembers that book. Mine make a really shocking assortment of strange noises, none of which I seem to be able to spell . . . never knew chickens had such an expressive vocabulary!

Calvincrowe
Dec. 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
My gals stayed in the coop today, which is built inside my 40 x 60 pole barn. I opened the people door and created an inside "play pen" out of pallets for them to roam in. They seem quite happy out of the wind. I don't have a heat lamp on them..should I??? They seem pretty good without it, they have just a fluorescent bulb in their lamp now.

Since the high temp is expected to be in the low 20's and the wind is expected to continue unabated all week, I guess the hens are staying in. The ground and all the goodies are frozen solid, so they aren't missing much.

Hamish The House Hunk! That cracks me up! Not sure Mr.CC would allow a chicken inside unless it was in a pan to be cooked.:lol:

maunder
Dec. 8, 2009, 08:19 AM
Snow here and my big gals (Orps and Australorps) take it in stride.

Hamish ( I call him Hamish Honey because he's not much of a Hunk) went for his stroll in the yard but wanted to come back in and trotted to the door. He's more animated today - I think yesterday he was borderline ill and so very cold.

No crows yet. I don't think he has his confidence back. Angus is out in the yard crowing but it doesn't set Hamish off....yet.....;)

Now for a chicken diaper pattern........

2DogsFarm
Dec. 9, 2009, 04:18 PM
Mine make a really shocking assortment of strange noises, none of which I seem to be able to spell . . . never knew chickens had such an expressive vocabulary!

Who knew?
I always feel like they are talking about me.....
And it is not always flattering.

nightsong
Dec. 10, 2009, 01:13 AM
All *I* could think of was chocolate cookies...

Calamber
Dec. 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
My chooks are used to scream "PICK AX" whenever they were panicked. Wonder where they picked that up? I never chased them with a pick ax no matter how obnoxious they were about scratching in my flowers!