PDA

View Full Version : Xmass "present" with one eye around horses

AnnaCrew
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
We have a new foster baby. It is a dog who was thrown over the fence at night. With only one eye, but seems that little one does not mind it.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae135/lillydelully/05-12-09sisy/aPICT9261.jpg

DH is looking for a statement that doggy is a keeper but I'm not sure.

I have the size problem. Dog (female, approx 3 yo) is only 5 kg and we do not have actually enough time for a lapdog who needs to be protected all the time.

See her size in comparison with a SMALL cat?
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae135/lillydelully/05-12-09sisy/arginger271.jpg

The dog itself has a little brave heart, but each time when she happily runs under horse's legs, my heart sanks. And each time when geese are around, doggy must be saved as geese are attacking her.

Do you have any small dogs like this one happily living at farm with large animals, and surviving without accidents? (Especially as she has one eye, so partial sight only).

She is great, our dogs and cats instantly adopted her, but I'm worried about her safety at our place. It is not an easy task to find good forever homes for disabled animals, but it could be done.

WWYD?

Gnalli
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:55 AM
She is ADORABLE. THe other dogs like her? THe cats like her? What do you need, a written letter from the Big Man Upstairs telling you she fits? :winkgrin: She'll learn to be safe around the horses and the geese too. Keep her and love her. I would love one like that, for a house dog, but my dh has a thing against house dogs, so... She is PRECIOUS!!!

AnnaCrew
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
Yes, she fits with us, no problem, but does the farmlife fits for her? I would hate myself if she would get injured or killed by horses. The problem is she does not take any blind notices - she runs in and out boxes - one wrong leg movement and she is dead.

And she does not want to be house dog only - she runs with large dogs, with each hay wheelbarrow to pastures, runs around horses happily (and she does not bark at horses!) and back through deep mud, runs for life past geese just to keep up with us. We named her Sissy but she is not sissy at all.

Our other dogs are quite large - GSD and St.Bernard, and they have had few kicks from horses (without harm, more educational, but anyway).

MunchkinsMom
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
I personally don't have any experiences with smaller dogs and farm life, just wanted to say that she is just too cute!

Also, there are many people that do have small dogs and horses, think of all the jack russels, corgies, etc., that live on farms with no mishaps. Hopefully some of them will post here asap.

Laurierace
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:05 PM
My ten pound pom is a wonderful barn dog. I don't have to protect her so much as train her to obey the rules. Rules such as move to the side of the aisle when a horse is coming through, never enter the arena or the paddocks or the stalls etc. Dogs don't come automatically knowing proper behavior no matter what size they are. They all need to be taught. Best of luck with the new addition.

Calamber
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:23 PM
I had a 6lb Jack Russell female who was raised around horses, other animals, etc. One day I was sitting on a horse whilst standing talking to neighbor I saw a funny look come over neighbor's face, I look down and she was standing inbetween the mare's hind legs. That was the end of my idea as to whether I could keep a toy sized dog around horses. This was only the last straw in a series of things and I rehomed her at 2 years. She was a beautiful, pure white rough coat with not a self preservation bone in her body so the answer for me was obvious, I was only keeping her because of my selfish desire to see her cute face every morning. Just finally sunk in that I would probably not see it very much longer. Unless you want to always look over your shoulder or keep her up in a safe area while you are out with the animals, I would rehome her. In the US, small dogs, even those with "handicaps" are fairly easily rehomed, you just have to be careful checking references and making a home visit. I just really do not see toy dogs in the farmyard. In the area I live in now, Pacific NW, it seems to be that the predators have taken over, so many Greenies defending the poor eagles, owls, weasels, fisher cats, foxes, coyotes, etc. that you have to keep a sharp eye out for your little ones getting snatched from the air. Not something I thought about before moving here but it has happened to multiple people in the vicinity of Bainbridge Island, just about 1/2 hour by ferry boat from Seattle, so not exactly out in the middle or nowhere.

Bluey
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
Adorable dog, but the cat doesn't seem quite so happy that she is walking by, is giving her the evil cat eye.:lol:

I don't agree that we have a small dog around only for our pleasure and we should not have it if it may at times be in harms way.
We have rattlers here and any one, person, horses, cattle, dogs, any critter around here is in harms way because of them.:eek:

There are risks we just have to take to live and then, of course, there are over the top risks that we should not take or have our animals take.
The list of both are way too large to mention, from the fences we keep our horses behind, depending on our management, to the kinds of dogs.

I have a little 9 lb dog, 11" short and she has been, since she came here, around cattle and horses, under strict supervision at first, of course.

She is with me doing chores, but is put up when I am working with horses directly, like with the farrier or riding, because it is the sensible thing to do and she is fine with that.
Put the dog on a down in a comfortable and out of the way and safe place, or better confine it, since there are not that many safe places in a barn, no matter what size dog we are talking about.

Now, some dogs just don't seem to learn or have much sense and keep getting in the way, no matter how careful you are and those, again no matter what size, don't belong in barns.

I think that you could keep your dog, if you train it and are always careful of the situation you may put her in.
If you can't be sure you can manage her constantly, then a new home may be better for her.
I would say that, if you are seeing a problem with that dog and your situation, you may consider that you better be safe than sorry and rehome the dog.