PDA

View Full Version : Helen Ingmire

ThreeFigs
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
Another thread here jogged my memory and this name popped up. I was a horse-crazy kid in 1960's Texas. She was evidently a highly-regarded rider. At the conclusion of an event at (I recall) Twenty-Mile Farm, she graciously allowed me to ride her lovely horse. Probably to shut my mother up. Long story, embarrassing day for me. Mother was being a pest.

Twenty-Mile Farm was just down the road a bit from Walter Strauss's place, Three Day Farm.

Does anyone remember Helen Ingmire? She made an awful day in my childhood memorable for her kindness.

Toadie's mom
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:54 PM
Haven't heard that name in forever, but yes I knew her. The last time I saw her was almost 20yrs ago! She had a horse at Mike Huber's that I tried. That was when Mike was at Dan Matese's place. She was a "tough 'ol broad" but well liked by everyone.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
So she evented, right? I think the competition where I met her and got to ride her horse may have been a combined event, or maybe a H/J show, maybe both. I was young, and that day I was frightened and worried, (Not going there!) so my memory of the exact nature of the competition is long gone.

Those were different days! I was wearing jodhpurs, penny loafers, and probably had to borrow a helmet from somebody, IF I wore one at all. Helen put me on this lovely horse, and I rode it over some fences after the show, in the stadium arena. The horse was automatic, a saint, made me look like I knew what I was doing (!) and best of all, for a few moments, I was happy, free of worry and fear.

Fort Worth is my hometown. I haven't been back in ages. Bet I wouldn't know my way around any more!

grzywinskia
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:13 PM
I knew Helen in her later years. What an interesting woman. She kept eventing until someone could talk her out of it, then she remained an avid supporter. I rode a horse of hers at an event or two back in 1996 and she and Mike Huber remained close until she passed away. I remember hearing stories of how he had to bring oxygen to the start box of Cedarwood, so she could go XC. My how times have changed. A tough, wonderful woman

ThreeFigs
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thank you for posting, Toadie's mom and grsywinskia.

I figured she had to have passed away by now. To me, she looked "old" in the '60's, but heck, I was a kid and everyone looked older than me!

Wish I'd gotten to know her better. Sounds like she was an amazing woman!