PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous riding in jumpers?

alicen
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I confess ignorance of jumper rules. I just watched, appalled - thinking wtf - as a jumper in the Munich Indoor raced flat out at a jump and, of course, went down and the horse was led off limping. Are there penalties for reckless riding in international competitions?

MHM
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:06 PM
Yes. The penalty is, you don't win.

There are rules about cruelty to the animal, but sadly, no rule against being a bad rider.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
There are rules about cruelty to the animal, but sadly, no rule against being a bad rider.
It would be nice if riders of all disciplines had to take a competency test before competing.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
Crap. Hope the horse is going to be OK. They pay the price for poor judgement, poor things.

alicen
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:56 PM
But, it didn't look like poor judgement, it looked like no judgement ..... or insanity. And he didn't have a chance of winning anyway.

M. O'Connor
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
Absolute recklessness to the point of endangering an animal or other competitors would come under the heading of abuse and/or "excess" and would be subject to scrutiny and warning by the steward.

Aside from that, incompetence is normally not rewarded, and most people devote a great deal of effort to avoiding it.

ThreeFigs
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:26 PM
Is this incident on Youtube? I tried to find it with no luck.

alicen
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:42 PM
Beasmom, it just happened an hour ago. I saw it on a live feed here: http://www.clipmyhorse.de/live/ The horse was Iwest Clemens ridden by a German named Sonke Kohrock. He has a website. I'm going to send him an e-mail suggesting he not compete again unless he sees a psychiarist, for the sake of his horses.

Rockfish
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:47 PM
you can see that a lot states side too, particularly as the fence heights get lower.

sansibar
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:10 PM
you can see that a lot states side too, particularly as the fence heights get lower.

Agreed, I refuse to do the jumpers on the local type circuits because of the people who close their eyes and book it around the course on saint type horses.

People need to understand jumpers do not equal galloping around like maniacs.

MHM
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:33 PM
I'm (http://I'm) going to send him an e-mail suggesting he not compete again unless he sees a psychiarist, for the sake of his horses.

Please let us know how that works out, OK?

alicen
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:15 PM
I think, considering the overall high quality of riding at Munich and the Grand Prix level, that I have to accept this particularly heedless incident as an exception, and just hope somebody gives that rider a thorough chewing out. At my age, I guess I'm surprised that I can still be shocked by anything.

blackcat95
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think, considering the overall high quality of riding at Munich and the Grand Prix level, that I have to accept this particularly heedless incident as an exception, and just hope somebody gives that rider a thorough chewing out.

Agreed. I think that the out of control jumper riding happens more at the lower levels. A particularly memorable incident- 2 years ago I was at the 2 day NHHJA summer festival and there was this crazy german (i think) trainer whose students rode so fast and so crazily that their horses were jumping off of 3 legs and almost tipping over from the tracks they were made to ride. :no: The trainer (he did some of the classics) was exactly the same way. Ringside rumor had it that he had been banned from competing at shows by multiple organizations, both at the local, regional, and national level. After that show, I think he was banned also, because I haven't seen him around since...

g29000
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:06 PM
best analogy I can give is that in a jump off you are balancing on a knifes edge the difference between disaster and winning is often a little luck. don't forget they are competing for $$$, so risk has it's reward. What if the horse had left it up? would you be claiming what an amazing ride that was? If he had patted the ground and jammed off his hocks exploding over the last jump instead of going splat it may be a different story.

I am speaking about at the g.p level not lower levels.

alicen
Dec. 7, 2009, 06:23 AM
Yeah, and what if he had sprouted wings....

M. O'Connor
Dec. 7, 2009, 07:55 AM
It's my understanding that a rider who is deemed incompetent/cruel is not likely to receive invitations to compete at events in Europe. On the website belonging to the rider discussed, there is ample evidence indicating continuous participation at many venues at a high level.

It's probably best to refrain from making judgements about whether the rider is fit to compete. The FEI and European federations are actually quite sensitive when it comes to abuse and excess; a case of continued abuse would be most unusual.

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM
I went to a local jumping show yesterday in Virginia, and it seems bad judgment starts at that level and works its way up. A young girl entered in the Puddle Jumpers classes on a black and white, one eyed, tiny little pony. Her teenage trainer encouraged her to "whack on" at the oxer-- a substantial one that the poor little guy had already crashed on in the first class of the division. I've never prayed more for three refusals and a dismissal...

Rockfish
Dec. 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
I went to a local jumping show yesterday in Virginia, and it seems bad judgment starts at that level and works its way up. A young girl entered in the Puddle Jumpers classes on a black and white, one eyed, tiny little pony. Her teenage trainer encouraged her to "whack on" at the oxer-- a substantial one that the poor little guy had already crashed on in the first class of the division. I've never prayed more for three refusals and a dismissal...

There used to be a whole family of jumper "riders" in NoVA that used to ride just like that...and win....which just reinforced the crappy behavior and tactics.

danosaur
Dec. 7, 2009, 02:56 PM
Agreed. I think that the out of control jumper riding happens more at the lower levels. A particularly memorable incident- 2 years ago I was at the 2 day NHHJA summer festival and there was this crazy german (i think) trainer whose students rode so fast and so crazily that their horses were jumping off of 3 legs and almost tipping over from the tracks they were made to ride. :no: The trainer (he did some of the classics) was exactly the same way. Ringside rumor had it that he had been banned from competing at shows by multiple organizations, both at the local, regional, and national level. After that show, I think he was banned also, because I haven't seen him around since...

I think I know who you're talking about.
he's back. he was at a show this summer.