PDA

View Full Version : So... Tell me.... (somewhat rhetorical)

pintopiaffe
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:18 PM
I consider myself fairly educated. Granted, I sang and did theatre to get through High School, but I actually DID pay attention during the last three years of college… And I’ve been passed down some lovely wisdom from old cowboys, old dairymen, and old farmers. By old, I don’t necessarily mean up in years, I mean WISE in years. Some of them up to date on the latest science and technology of farming, and some of them as wise as the Sphinx on such things as crops and seasons and life...

So tell me…

The days of the week, they always go in order. Monday follows Sunday. Tuesday follows Monday. We all know that. The months always go in order… January begins the new year, February is dark and cold, but short enough to give us hope… April showers—May flowers, etc. etc.

The seasons, I’ve always said the farm is a microcosm of the seasons of life…

I KNOW these things. I can read the birds migrating just as surely as the barometer.

So tell me…

Why is it that on December 5, I am out there, after an EXTREMELY trying day at work, with a headlamp, while the first flakes spit… trying to find all the lead ropes, bits of electric fence tape, pieces of mislaid hay twine... misplaced tools and various other items that litter the barn yard?

I know *half* the answer… the half that says if I don’t do it TONIGHT, I will not see said things either until May, or until they find themselves wrapped around my snowblower blades… :uhoh:

No… rather, the true question is why the HELL I didn’t do it BEFORE tonight? Did I think winter would not come this year???

:sigh:

I’m so, so not ready. Even after an absolute GIFT of a November. I’ve no excuse. :no: :cry:

suz
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:25 PM
i saw this sign on a colleague's desk once.
it read, human behaviour is deadline determined.
i find it very accurate for me anyway---which is why i only clean the house when company is on the way, wash dishes when i'm out of forks, or do laundry when i've run out of clean undies. sigh, i'm so predictable...

kookicat
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
I agree with you about not being ready for winter. Even though it has also been very mild this year, I've been feeling the cold. We seem to have had no summer (too much rain/damp weather over the summer months) to balance the winter. I'm just not ready, and I really hate the long dark nights!

dmalbone
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:30 PM
Just like we bought our house LAST February and sat on my butt ALL spring and now my barn isn't finished and my horses aren't home before winter.... I'm complaining how impossible it is to do all of this in the winter, ran out of warm weather to stain and paint (now I have patchwork colored wood inside), no varnish, numb fingers trying to build stalls, etc. yet I'm STILL mad at the cold. Same thing- did I NOT expect it to come this year!?! I guess I was just in denial. It sucks majorly now. I think of all those cool, slightly crisp spring days I could have been out there.

Bluey
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Y'all need a little touch of OCD to get you thru farm life.;)
Maybe even thru most in life.:yes:

Wait until you get old enough for real senior moments.
Then it really gets sad.
You didn't only waited too long, you forgot.:(

Glad that our horses are resilient and don't mind what all is not done, as long as we don't forget their meals.:)

pintopiaffe
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:39 PM
You didn't only waited too long, you forgot.

Glad that our horses are resilient and don't mind what all is not done, as long as we don't forget their meals.

I keep asking women "of a certain age" if you ever get your mind back after mentalpause. To a one, they all nod :no: and just smile... :cry:

:lol:

See, that's why I do FINE with animals though. They REMIND YOU if you forget to feed, or water, or clean a catbox or such... :lol:

MHM
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
Well, think of all the people who do their Christmas shopping on December 23rd and 24th, despite the unchanging calendar and the annual media blitz! :lol:

Rhyadawn
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:21 PM

I keep asking women "of a certain age" if you ever get your mind back after mentalpause. To a one, they all nod :no: and just smile... :cry:

See, that's why I do FINE with animals though. They REMIND YOU if you forget to feed, or water, or clean a catbox or such... :lol:

I read this to my mom and she laughed, before making the motions you mentioned.

If its any consolation I feel like I'm there too. I can write papers with the best of them, but can't remember my preparations for winter.

atr
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:45 PM
It does make me feel better to discover I'mn not the only one... I've been ignoring that bit of fence that needed fixing for about three weeks. So yes, I was outside doing it in the snow this morning...

hctjudge
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:57 PM
Our motto here is "Never do today what you can put off until
tomorrow"

It's worked for years! I only get inspired to put up Christmas
decorations on Dec. 24th and by then it's just silly. BUT
I don't have anything to take down by New Years either!

I am kinda getting in the mood to make my TWH and driving mini mule some bells to wear for the next few weeks. Nah, that would require finding the stuff to do it---maybe later.

greysandbays
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:05 AM
Well, I did get my winter water tubs in and my summer tanks out. Usually, winter catches me with my summer tanks full of ice and froze down. I've even got a few fence posts in, waiting for electric rope to be strung on them.

But the list of "Things I Should Have Gotten Done Before Winter" still has five million things on it...

I'm thankful, however, that the mud froze some before getting a lot of snow dumped on it. There's nothing quite like a foot of mud under two feet of snow to really mess up your life. And I'm thankful that the foot of rain we got in October wasn't snow (but it d*** sure didn't miss being snow by much!).

IN LESS THAN THREE WEEKS, THE DAYS START GETTING LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!

Alagirl
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:49 AM
i saw this sign on a colleague's desk once.
it read, human behaviour is deadline determined.
i find it very accurate for me anyway---which is why i only clean the house when company is on the way, wash dishes when i'm out of forks, or do laundry when i've run out of clean undies. sigh, i'm so predictable...

ROFLMAO

dressagetraks
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:15 AM
Yep. For THREE WEEKS, I have had "well house bulb" on my Walmart list on my desk. For THREE WEEKS, I have reminded myself that this was coming.

So guess what happened Friday morning? Yep, the water was frozen, because the well house was not yet turned on for the winter. So I put in a regular bulb then, infrared later, and banked it with hay. I did this at 4:00 a.m. Friday morning under the security light. The dog thought I was nuts; this isn't a usual aspect of our early morning walks.

Granted, I've had all sorts of stuff going on, Mom crashing, Dad in the hospital, extra rehearsals pre Christmas concert season, all sorts of other things, but STILL, there is no excuse for not having taken 5 minutes for that earlier. I even had it written down on my desk.

I saw a calendar once that said, "Warning: Dates on this calendar are closer than they appear." :yes:

Bluey
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:17 AM
---"I saw a calendar once that said, "Warning: Dates on this calendar are closer than they appear.""---

monstrpony
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
---"I saw a calendar once that said, "Warning: Dates on this calendar are closer than they appear.""---

:lol::lol::lol:

THAT bears repeating!

And so, this all explains the ice in the troughs this morning, when I've been telling myself "trough heaters in on Thanksgiving, trough heaters in on Thanksgiving ... " but, of course, it didn't get done. MUST DO TODAY.

Mentalpause, with a chemotherapy chaser. I'm doomed.

pintopiaffe
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
Misery loves company, even if mentalpause doesn't :lol: :winkgrin:

Our "2-4 inches" turned out to be a lot closer to six on top of the mountain.

At first I was REALLY annoyed. And then, I bundled up and went out in it... and just had to smile.

I really *do* love snow. It is BEAUTIFUL out, and I'm sad that I'm locked inside at work for the duration of daylight.

Now, I know I will hit a point in March, somtimes April, sometimes sooner, where I will say, "I usually love snow... BUT... enough is enough." But I really do love it. For the most part I love winter. I would rather layer up and be out in bright cold than be miserable and drenched with sweat.

The mud did not freeze... so I really can't plow, and the ponies are sinking through the clean snow into the eel sh*t mud...

But it *IS* beautiful. :cool:

ToiRider
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
I have to laugh at this thread, as I am of course right there with you! This is my first winter on this farm and in this house. I was so proud of myself for purchasing heated water buckets ahead of time, so that they wouldn't be sold out when I needed them. However, I have yet to install the plugs for them. My barn is electrified and I could run extension cords, but I can see the chocolate lab and my gelding (who are both mouthy), getting a bit of a shock by playing with the extension cord. So, frozen buckets this morning.

I actually thought about buying a new snow shovel, but TSC hadn't gotten them in yet. When I remember agaiin, they will be sold out.

I need to check my 4 wheel drive, as the last time I desperately needed it, it was broken. I did get it fixed but haven't used it since, so of course it will be broken again.

I started my Christmas shopping yesterday, which is amazing to me, since I usually wait till the day or two before. It was probably because I was supposed to be grading papers, and I also should be right now!!!

Oh, and the big one. I got a new furnace and heat pump this summer, which I am loving, but they pulled the old vent out of the ceiling, and just left the gaping hole. Its high in the stairwell, and goes straight to the outside (the upper part of the vent and the vent cover are still in place). I forgot about it completely, as did my helpers, since there are so many things that need fixing. I noticed a cold draft (as all my warm air rushed out), and lucked up to see that I truly was "heating the outside". Well, I can't reach the hole, but I was able to put a huge wad of bubble wrap on the handle of my broom and stuff it up into the hole. I guess that needs to be on my immediate fix list!!

Bluey
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:07 PM
---"I actually thought about buying a new snow shovel, but TSC hadn't gotten them in yet. When I remember agaiin, they will be sold out."---

A tip on snow shovels, always buy two.
When you need one and know where you put it last, you won't be able to find it and the spare will be still in place.
When you terminally lose one, it is never again to be found, get another spare, because soon the one and only one left may hide.

I have one on the front, to clear the path for the dog out the yard and one in the back, so we can get out to do chores.

Many times one or the other are not to be found when you need them and I am glad there is still another somewhere else.
Grain scoops somehow don't make that good snow shovels.

AppJumpr08
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:36 PM
Because it was 60+ degrees two days ago, and it didn't seem like winter would EVER come! :lol:

I can't really tell how much snow we got here - being out in the open like the farm is, everything is drifted.. but I don't think we got 6"... maybe 3 or 4?
We did clean up most of the stuff we'd lose under the snow, but I *still* don't have any auto waterers hooked up yet... :sigh: I'm hoping maybe the snow and impending cold will be motivation for my other half to get them hooked up?? BEFORE the spigot that was supposed to be under a warm waterer freezes solid for the winter?? Probably not... :winkgrin:

pintopiaffe
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
Bluey, I loff your shovel advice, but I add one thing to it:

Leave one shovel INSIDE the door on big storm days.

Because those dogs GOTTA GO, and you open that door to the 6" of snow... IT'S gotta go somewhere too.

Work has been INSANE the last two days. Physically & mentally. I have checked in on threads to chuckle and remind myself why I'm here doing it.

Can't wait to ENJOY tongiht the sparkles from the moonlight. There is something so mystical about my mountain on a clear night in winter. :cool:

skyy
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:38 PM
Yep, so warm last week that I clipped my horse again because he was sweating at the walk. Now he's all nakey and I feel bad (of course he's wearing his heavy weight with the neck cover because the high was 34 today but I have to take it off to groom and tack!)

atr
Dec. 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
The great thging about snow is that it really does tidy the place up...

Sometimes I wish it would snow inside, too.

pintopiaffe
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
The great thging about snow is that it really does tidy the place up...

Sometimes I wish it would snow inside, too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<clap, clap, clap... standing ovation for atr> :winkgrin:

monstrpony
Dec. 6, 2009, 06:14 PM
Second that ^