PDA

View Full Version : Every horseman's nightmare - barn fire in Ohio

retreadeventer
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:01 PM
Haven't seen this on the boards yet, but we ALL need to come together and pray for the horses who died, and the two people who were killed, and thier families - at Lebanon Raceway in Ohio. While these are standardbred people I believe - it is still a terrible, horrible thing, and my heart goes out to them. The loss of the two people is a real shock. There is a video that doesn't show much at CNN.
43 horses - 2 people.

LLDM
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:49 PM
This was just on the news. You're right, it doesn't matter what kind of horses or horse people they were. It is quite a tragedy. Will be thinking of them tonight.

SCFarm

2ndyrgal
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
at a very well populated tack shop doing Christmas shopping, probably only a few miles down the road and no one was talking about it. I didn't know anything til it hit the local news tonight. Those barns are huge and wood, back in 88' there was another huge barn fire there with similar results. I was working in Standardbreds at the time and was to pick up a horse the following morning. I can think of no worse way than that for a horse to die. I've stayed in those very barns the night of sire stakes races instead of shipping back. Probably a heater since it just turned very cold up here. Sad.

maxxtrot
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
wow, my worst nightmare, my prayers and thoughts are with everyome involved.

red squirrel ridge
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:36 PM
I just saw a couple articles that said as many as 60 horses died:no:
My prayers are with all people and horses involved.

Horsegal984
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thoughts and prayers for all the horses and connections there. My uncle's string races there but thankfully no horses of his were entered this week. Terrrible tragedy for the horses and the people.

lindasp62
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:44 PM
I was in Lebanon today at a very well populated tack shop doing Christmas shopping, probably only a few miles down the road and no one was talking about it. I didn't know anything til it hit the local news tonight.

I was there today as well...probably at the same tack shop...but, also at the annual carriage parade, which went on as normal...although, when the news first broke this morning on our local TV, I felt a pang of guilt for going to the parade with all the merriment there, knowing Lebanon Raceway is just 2 bocks up, and where all the entrants of the parade get ready to know the barn was still smoldering. I did go, however, enjoyed the parade, but did think about those poor horses, the people, their families, the trainers, owners...etc...

Zu Zu
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
How TERRIBLE ~ thoughts and prayers for all involved.

2ndyrgal
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:33 PM
who's your uncle?

Noctis
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sending Jingles, Thoughts and Prayers for all involved. Godspeed to the brave souls lost.

FLeckenAwesome
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:34 PM
Wow... that is awful!!!

Adding in my prayers and thoughts and jingles for all involved.

kcrubin
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
I heard about this on my way home from work tonight. So awful!

Hey Mickey
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:35 AM
I just saw a couple articles that said as many as 60 horses died:no:
My prayers are with all people and horses involved.

I think there are 60 stalls in a barn and I know all of the horses weren't accountable for at first.

Horsegal984
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
2ndyrgal- The Plummers, John and Jimmy. I think John is the only one who's run up there, Jimmy ususally stays closer to Jackson county. John has trotters and Jimmy runs pacers.

That barn has about 80 stalls and it was nearly full, which I think is how they came up with 60 horses intially. Thankfully it was a little less, although not any less horrifying.