PDA

View Full Version : Which leathers under $100 are best?

Sparkling_Sunset
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'm looking @:

*Ovation Triple Covered Leathers ($75 @Dover, the place that carries these partiular ones)

*M. Toulouse Leathers (the $86 ones in the Smart Pak catalog)

*HDR Pro Lined Leathers ($72 in SLT catalog)

Which would be the best? I'm leaning towards the Ovations (as they look the nicest for best price). Also, if I went with the Toulouse, which color would be closer to what other brands consider Oakbark-- the Cognac or the Chocolate? I just snagged a Dover Circuit Elite XC for a steal on eBay yesterday, and am looking for a nice pair of matching lined soft leathers to go with it.

BelladonnaLily
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:53 PM
I've had good luck with the Dover Circuit leathers. The HDRs I've had wore out quicker.

eventingismylife
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:02 PM
I love my Courbette leathers, they are wonderful. I have also heard great things about Dover leathers too.

jen-s
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:14 PM
Do a search for "Gary Mundy." He makes custom leathers for ~$50 and they are NICE, NICE, NICE! He has a huge fan club here on COTH and I can speak firsthand for his quality and value.

jn4jenny
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:18 PM
Do a search for "Gary Mundy." He makes custom leathers for ~$50 and they are NICE, NICE, NICE! He has a huge fan club here on COTH and I can speak firsthand for his quality and value.

Unfortunately he's laid up with an injury.

tBHj
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
Prestige leathers are just over $100 and are the best out of any IMO.

Hunter Mom
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:53 PM
DD had (key word - HAD) HDR leathers. They were almost impossible to deal with, bulky, and didn't hold up at all. My leathers are the Collegiate half-hole, and I love them. DD now has Courbette leathers, which seem very nice as well. I would buy either again.

Kato
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:11 PM
Another vote for the Prestige leathers, they are great!

forestergirl99
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
I also vote for Prestige. I have heard people complain about them stretching, but i've had them for 4 months now, and I haven't noticed stretching.

JenEM
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Assuming you're looking at lined leathers, I've had both Prestige and Bevals, and bought them both on sale for under $100. Having used the Bevals for almost a year now, I think I liked my old Prestiges just a bit better, but not enough to replace the perfectly good Bevals.

I had unlined Courbettes for a while, and they held up well, though they stretched a lot. Hence the move to lined leathers. I'll never have unlined leathers again.

Tha Ridge
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've had the same pair of Beval Italian Leathers FOREVER now (seriously, 5+ years) and they've held up great. They're $120, so a bit more than you were wanting to spend, but they are worth it.

indygirl2560
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:51 PM
I have the Toulouse Calfskin leathers and I love them. They are on the thick side but they match my saddle perfectly and look nice after each cleaning, so I have no complaints.

Riley0522
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'd say no to both the HDR leathers and the M. Toulouse. I had HDR leathers for a DAY, and all the dye rubbed off of them! I do have the M. Toulouse ones, and they're not bad, but they are a PIA to get back on the saddle. I also feel that they wear out quickly.

Dressage.For.Life.
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yet another vote for Prestige leathers! I wont use anything else on my saddles- I have one pair that's a couple years old and it doesn't appear to have stretched much at all- but it does have a large split in the leather- they're still usable I just had to get new for the clinics I do. I think the last ones I bought were $120 (but they were 60" for my dressage saddle, so shorter lengths are a little cheaper).

sansibar
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:03 PM
Prestige ones are great I have a pair of those. I had a pair of the HDR ones for an old saddle and they were pretty good also. Definitely not childeric or antares quality but they are still alright :).

LShipley
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:13 PM
I recently bought the Nunn Finer leathers here for $60: http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10159/SADDLEFIT/Nunn+Finer+Nylon+Center+Stirrup+Leathers.html

I've only had them for about a month, but they have not stretched. The leather looked a little stiff when I first got them and the color was much lighter than I expected - I ordered the medium brown and it looked more like the newmarket color. But they oiled up beautifully. After two coats of oil, they darkened to the color on the page and th leather softened quite a bit. They have white stitching on them which also looks very nice - in fact, many people have complemented me on them.

Sparkling_Sunset
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:06 AM
Any comments on the Ovations I mentioned? The Prestige ARE nice (I have the Ideal "webbers" on my dressage saddle), but I spent too much on all my horsey stuff in the past months and really can't go over $75 at the MOST. :(
I'm DYING for a pair of the lined fancy-end Stubbens (like BUTTER!), but @ $130+ they're out of the question. Completely. (It's not my money :D)

One addtional note: NO UNlined leathers! I don't like the break-in process and I like the non-stretching factor that the nylon lining offers. (Although the Ovations say they're Biothane-lined? What is that? I'm going to see...)

Sparkling_Sunset
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:11 AM
Okay, I looked up Biothane. It's "polyester webbing with a PVC coating", usually made to look & feel like leather, and very strong, soft and flexible. Now you know! :)

INoMrEd
Dec. 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
I purchased Passier leathers. These are high quality, lined leathers. They cost $90 at LA Saddlery and are so soft, and supple. They are a month old now and after riding nearly everyday with them they show no wear at all.

tartan
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
Smart Pack has lined leathers for $39.99!
They have 0.75" hole spacings.

I want the fancy Stubbens too to match my saddle, but you can't beat this price. I haven't ordered them yet, but maybe something to look into :)

mojo7777
Dec. 6, 2009, 02:44 PM
Here's a vote for the Toulouse. No stretching and very lovely leather that oils to just the color you want, but it comes in three colors, so you probably will get close your color without oiling. Breaks in quickly. I like them SO much better than the more expensive and very stretchy Corbettes I had before.

Callison
Dec. 8, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have the Toulouse leathers. LOVE them! I looked for awhile and bought many that I hated but really like the Toulouse ones!