PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Holiday Horse Show - Live Coverage??

MyFancyHunterPony
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:45 PM
Is there anywhere to watch it online?

snaffle635
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:50 PM
I don't think so.

wellington1351
Dec. 11, 2009, 01:19 AM
does anyone know if there is a derby there this weekend? If so, whose is competing in it?

LudgerFan
Dec. 11, 2009, 08:21 AM
I believe it is tonight (Friday). I don't know who is riding in it, other than Tammy Provost, who makes the trek to STL only because of this derby. She won it last year, I think. It's on youtube if you'd like to watch.

hasahorse
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:41 AM
You can see the list of entrants at horseshowtime.com. I believe there are 42 entered.

Mac123
Dec. 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just got back from watching it, but I didn't stay through the whole thing. Went with my mom, who is not a horse person, and she was such a saint to sit there for 3 hours of hunters. :D Her observations were hilarious...and very accurate. :eek:

I was surprised at such a simple course, both for the regular round and the handy. There were 3 options, all of which were simply a 4' option to the 3'6 vertical. No gate, no bank built this year, really kind of disappointing. I told my mom it was going to be an exciting hunter class and well, she stared at me after 2 hours and said there was no difference. :lol:

A few super nice horses, some decent rounds. Lots of rails and rubs, a few naughty horses, and a lot of over riding. I wanted to see some fluidity and boldness and I just wasn't impressed.

Perhaps its the venue (indoor ring) or the competition STL garners, but I'm with my mom - there was nothing about the class - the course, the judging, the riders, the horses - that said hunter derby. More like a hunter classic with a handy round.

*shrugs*

Big class, though, 43 I think, which is very impressive for STL. Last year I think had entries in the 20s, though I could be wrong. Curious to see who won, I think Sarah Mechlin was in the lead after the first round.

Here's the entries:
http://horseshowtime.com/showclassresults.asp?Show=2817&ClassID=3
Results will be posted at www.horseshowtime.com

dags
Dec. 12, 2009, 11:39 AM
Just got back from watching it, but I didn't stay through the whole thing. Went with my mom, who is not a horse person, and she was such a saint to sit there for 3 hours of hunters. :D Her observations were hilarious...and very accurate. :eek:

I was surprised at such a simple course, both for the regular round and the handy. There were 3 options, all of which were simply a 4' option to the 3'6 vertical. No gate, no bank built this year, really kind of disappointing. I told my mom it was going to be an exciting hunter class and well, she stared at me after 2 hours and said there was no difference. :lol:

A few super nice horses, some decent rounds. Lots of rails and rubs, a few naughty horses, and a lot of over riding. I wanted to see some fluidity and boldness and I just wasn't impressed.

Perhaps its the venue (indoor ring) or the competition STL garners, but I'm with my mom - there was nothing about the class - the course, the judging, the riders, the horses - that said hunter derby. More like a hunter classic with a handy round.

*shrugs*

Big class, though, 43 I think, which is very impressive for STL. Last year I think had entries in the 20s, though I could be wrong. Curious to see who won, I think Sarah Mechlin was in the lead after the first round.

Here's the entries:
http://horseshowtime.com/showclassresults.asp?Show=2817&ClassID=3
Results will be posted at www.horseshowtime.com

Big. Giant. Ditto. it was nothing more than a handy round with jrs, ams, and pros thrown in. Class finally ended at 10:30 and of course few spectators stayed around for prizes at that hour. It was 43 first round trips and 12 second round, and it was loooong. there weren't any trappy inside turns or bold options on the course to spice it up. Lots of bending lines, a two-stride set kind of long, a straight up outside line that seemed to give an unreasonable amount of trouble, three 3'6" vs. 4' vertical options.

2nd round included a trot fence and a walk fence. Yipee. And apparently a hand gallop to the out of the bending line which was now a trot fence coming in. I guess the idea was you don't add the step for trotting in? The walk fence was a pile of brush with a pole laying on top of it, probably about 6-8" high. I honestly pondered whether you were supposed to jump it or literally walk over it . . . question was answered as one horse did just "walk" it and the judges clearly did not approve (was sitting behind one set). At best I thought that particular question was unclear, at worst it was pathetic. Make it a 2'6" gate and make it obvious and make it require some actual effort. Most rode it as an elevated canter departure to the left lead.

Competition was an assortment of working hunters, eq horses and jumpers. I saw very few horses with what I would call a GOOD, traditional hunter jump. In fact, only one comes to mind and he did receive a top call.

I do not think the "handiest" horses were rewarded, and while I agreed with most of the scores there were a few that completely had me baffled, including the winner. I did not think he was either handy nor a particularly good jumper, though he did move the part. Another horse with a horrific jump (in my head) scored high in the first round, returned for the 2nd trip, neglected to walk the walk fence, and still received an 84 from one side. On the other hand, someone scored in the 70s for "rushing" the trot fence, though he did clearly trot it, and another very handy but not as huntery 2nd round competitor cantered the trot fence and received a score in the 60s. Complete fail of the test, I guess. Not sure why trot steps to the walk fence didn't result in a similar score.

55 rounds, 3 ring drags and ribbons made for a very long evening, I'm not sure why trainers stand for this when they've got to be right back there at 6 am. Also trying on the parents dragging away tiny children at 9pm because the Short Stirrup ring starts in 10 hours.

The ring is clearly limiting for this type of event, maybe they should really consider whether this is a location that can truly hold an International Derby. It would be nice to see some consistency in this class from venue to venue.

I hate to say it but in regards to the new "standards" they speak of setting, a score board would have been REALLY nice. The PA system was barely audible.

I've really got to study the bonus points system, 55 trips and I still couldn't figure out exactly what they were rewarding. Completely arbitrary it seemed.

just some notes!! Results are up on horseshowtime.

Mac123
Dec. 13, 2009, 01:02 AM
Pictures will be posted here, usually within a week of the show.
http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?tmpl=31&user_id=11982&event=261908&album=371682

I have to really agree with dags. I was sitting next to the judges on the far side of the arena (opposite from the announcers booth) and it was curious to watch their expressions and overhear comments and conversation. I agreed with a lot, even scored some rounds very similarly in my head, but was totally scratching my head on others. And the bonus point thing is very unclear. Sometimes more bonus points were awarded to a rider who didn't take as many of the options, etc. I couldn't quite figure out what they were looking for because what they rewarded wasn't quite what I thought the derby was supposed to produce.

I was also quite disappointed in the riding...for such an easy course, it was curious that there were so many *gasp* moments.

The course was odd for a derby...very straightforward. The hardest thing was a two stride that was set long (a bit unfairly so, I thought, for a small indoor) and a five stride line that every other person mysteriously rode wrong but seemed to be a normal 5 stride. I have never seen such serious counting from pros as during that line (was sitting right in the middle of it). :lol:

The walk "jump" was pathetic. If my horse had been in there, I think he would have rolled his eyes. Really. 8 inches does not constitute a jump.

I was also disappointed to see that they rewarded the current modern hunter ride, which was what I *thought* the derby was supposed to discourage. On particular rider rode uber quiet, holding, deliberately placing them exactly to each fence. While it produced an extravagant effort from the horse by necessity, there was nothing forward or fluid or bold about it. Very over thought and taxing on the horse. He scored quite well.

Totally a "meh" evening. Not entirely sure it was worth trecking out there for 3 hours with a muscle spasm in my shoulder/neck that had kept me in bed all day.

Was anyone else there?

snaffle635
Dec. 13, 2009, 09:06 PM
I was there too. While I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment to the extent that Mac and Dags did, I agree that it wasn't a very exciting evening. I went shopping and looked at pics/videos after 25 or so horses had gone, then went to feed my guy some carrots. Yeah, it was THAT exciting. Didn't stay for the handy round as I was riding really early the next morning.

Had more fun watching the groom's class (where two of our guys finished in the top 6). Yay!