PDA

View Full Version : Mullen mouth bits

ivy62
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:37 PM
Can someone explain to me the difference with these bits? It has been suggested, that a horse iwth a sensitive mouth and low pallette (sp) may do better then in a french link. I have such a horse. I was looking at the loose ring rubber one with the 2 bumps in the middle, Sorry for the description but I do not know the real name of the bit..Any ideas?

eventingismylife
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:08 PM
I am guessing you are talking about a Happy Mouth loose ring shaped Mullen mouth. I know one horse that loves it, but hates other regular mullen mouth bits, but the one he has is a egg-butt.

Peggy
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:27 PM
My horse hated the wavy Happy Mouth. As in, he ate through it. Much happier with a sprenger duo or a flexible rubber mullen mouth. Or even a Waterford.

nadasy
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
My horse LOVES his mullen mouth. It's an Egg Butt and made of an alloy. The unfortunate thing is that it's on loan until I can find one.

Who would think that a bit that is so basic and been around for eons is unattainable except in loose ring or stainless steel?:(

This search has been going on for 3 weeks now, and nary a one to be had. He doesn't do well in the loose rings, he'll tolerate it, but really does so well in the borrowed bit it's sad that none are available.

I did try the stainless steel one, and it did not work. He never relaxed completely like the one we have, never got any foam, and he never had that little fluffing sound he gets when he's swinging along.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:50 PM
Let's start with a more descriptive anatomic visual. Please describe
Lips (thickness and where the lip ends in correlation to the bit seat)
bit seat location and length
bar space (space between top and bottom gum)
Tongue thickness
Shape of palate
space between palate and tongue

... then list what bits you have tried and what symptoms you are getting to cause you to shop for bits.
Who's riding, and how experienced are they, are they in regular lessons?

You tell me that, I can narrow your bit search significantly.

ivy62
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have not measured the inside of my horses mouth but I can tell you he has a low pallete and small muzzle and is short from front to back. Ask my vet she will tell you. I have tried a Happy mouth D, D ring with rollers, regular Eggbutt, Rubber D, Loose ring with the oval, and a few others so far the best we are in is a French link Egg butt but still will not relax completely.
He is being ridden by a competent eventer, she is a lovely rider and very effective, He actually gets along quite well with her. We are only doing dressage and he has good brakes and steering is with the seat not the reins. He does accept contact but will not relax. This bit was suggested to me that is all...O have never used a mullen mouth or a Nathe so I thought I would ask....

ivy62
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
Nadasy- do you have a picture of the bit you are using?

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:44 PM
if your space between the upper and lower bars is small, you may need a thinner than traditional mullen.

If it were me, i'd go for more stable in the mouth like a mullen mouth baucher. http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/Admin/Images/d2724586-73f2-434c-9481-73bca3c7d3a6.jpg
You'll want to find one that is thinner than the one in the picture. It is worn with the "shank" up so that your headstall attaches to the small rings, and the reins to the large rings.

Also, a nice well fitted padded noseband will help, but i personally would skip the flash, especially if the bit seats are low.

If your goal is to get your horse seeking contact, a mullen mouthpiece is a good place to start. Mylers are a good thickness for those tiny mouths, but most are illegal for the dressage ring. You may want to borrow one til you can get back to front happening readily

I struggled for 8-9 years with the same issue you are experiencing. The result was two fold
1. I didnt have good enough hands for HIM. I could turn any other horse into a round buttery ball of forward velvet, but best i got out of him was flat giraffe.
2. I tried a dr. bristol with the flat plate sitting broad and flat against his tongue.
combining the tedious work on my hands and connection with the dr bristol turned him into a round buttery ball of forward velvet.

nadasy
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:53 PM
Hi Ivy,
I emailed you the link. Dinah

DMK
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
If it were me, i'd go for more stable in the mouth like a mullen mouth baucher

QUALIFIER: Hellz to the no if you ride hunters at rated shows, and probably any decent sized locals.

Isabeau Z Solace
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:27 PM
I had to pay Shuttleworth to make me a mullen mouth fulmer sided snaffle. I can give you the contact info if you want him to make you a custom bit. I think it was about $250. Worth every penny.

ivy62
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:22 PM
I am not ready for a custom bit but we are just trying a few. We are not showing at this time and I am not sure we ever will but that doesn't mean I do not want to ride him well....He does not shake his head the problem is he tends to be a bit behind the bit and not seeking contact..So these were some ideas that were thrown at me. Does anyone have any others? I am learning how to ride my horse and we are a work in progress I know....

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:30 PM
I am not ready for a custom bit but we are just trying a few. We are not showing at this time and I am not sure we ever will but that doesn't mean I do not want to ride him well....He does not shake his head the problem is he tends to be a bit behind the bit and not seeking contact..So these were some ideas that were thrown at me. Does anyone have any others? I am learning how to ride my horse and we are a work in progress I know....
Is BTV and not seeking contact the ONLY symptom? What else are you experiencing you'd like to solve? Having all the pieces of the puzzle will help get to the root of your problem instead of just chasing symptoms.

How does he react when you ask him to be forward on a circle, stepping under with his inside hind (bending)?

Also, you posted this in H/J; is that your goal, or what discipline are you shooting for?

ivy62
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:40 PM
This is a complicated question with lots of different asnswers...
Well, he is continually being rehabbed for a runaway case of lyme and now has had his 3rd bout of it and doing well...Also a few years ago had dislocated his hip so the hind end is a work in progress..We are doing well though. He will come underneath nicely once warmed up enough..He can be soft on a circle and will bend now and will be forward also. We have been working on this....getting straight when picking up the canter is what we are working on now....I do not expect miracles,all a work in progress..Also, we use a figure 8 noseband.He goes best in that also.

As far as discipline, I have always been a h/j rider so that is my comfy zone. He actually looks like a nice hunter U/S and I think my jumping days are over but then there is my daughter? He is a nice mover, not a 10 but nice and could do well probably at local shows and maybe even some lower rated ones but that is not the goal..I am having to learn to ride him very differently then other horses I have had...
Does that help?

Simbalism
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:13 AM
I have a TB mare who has a small mouth and low pallette. She hated jointed bits. The last bit I used on her was a Happy Mouth Mullen D ring bit. She will tolerate that without shaking her head or throwing it down. The Happy Mouth bits are a little big for her. She could really use a 4.5" or 4 3/4 " size, but they don't come that small. As I started to do more trail riding, I decided to try her in a hackamore. This has been her "bit" of choice for about 3.5 years. I take my jumping lessons with it, trail ride, dabble with dressage and have even tried barrel racing and other games type events with it.

sansibar
Dec. 8, 2009, 12:20 AM
Sansibar was able to go from a strait rubber bar (soory don't know the proper name) pelham with a long shank to a plain old happy mouth mullen mouth bit. I was impressed.

:)