PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this pony has potential?

Savoy 8
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:05 PM
I am looking into picking this pony up as the owner wants to give her away. She is a little underweight and needs some muscle she is turning 8 years old but, hasn't had too much done with her. She is broke. She is out of a TB mare named Promises Promises, and is by the welsh pony stallion Penryhn Sporting Chance. Please let me know what you think about the pony? and please no comments on the facility or the owners webpage!

Here is the link, there are pictures of her free jumping at the bottom and a few videos. I am looking at a possible re-sell project.

http://lntrainingandsales.weebly.com/airlies-royal-sport.html

tinah
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don't like the way she goes undersaddle at all. NO concept of contact, unbalanced, looks like she rushes. Might be fixable, might not. She could just get hotter as she muscles up. Looks like the type that would be a curled, inverted mess if not handled very carefully. She is pretty, and built okay, but that's as far as I'd go. I'd like to see her ridden by someone that can handle her a little better.
How long were you thinking of taking to flip her?

shawneeAcres
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:11 PM
Not much I really like about this one, sorry. She is very long thru the loin and has a short steep croup putting her hind legs very far behind her. Look at how she moves, her hind legs are always trailing, telling me she will have great difficulty with any concept of collection and carrying herself. She is also very long in the pasterns. I like SOME length to pasterns, but she looks waek in pasterns and also quite weak in gaskin, and gaskin muscles don't change a lot with work, either they have them or not. I think her conformation will possibly lead to back or stifle problems in the future. This appears to be a VERY VERY green pony and at this age, I don't see her as a "flip". People don't want green 8 yr old ponys. And by the time she is "made" she would easily be a 9 or 10 yr old. She also looks pretty sensitive, at one point when kid asked her to trot from a walk I thought she was going to scoot off. She did have a fairly decent natural jump which is about all that I like about her, but I jsut don't see a lot of quailty here. maybe, after a year or two she might make a local pony or an eventing type pony, if she holds up. If I were looking for a flip pony prospect I would be looking for one that is younger (assuming you want a greenie) not an old green pony.

Tamara in TN
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:16 PM
Please let me know what you think about the pony? and please no comments on the facility or the owners webpage!

http://lntrainingandsales.weebly.com/airlies-royal-sport.html

ummm well...

no, I do not think she has potential as a resale pony...

best

enjoytheride
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think something is wrong with her hindend or at least the conformation is funky but it's hard to tell based on her current condition

I know you said no comments on the owners, but jesus. She started out in good weight then dropped coming to them. She looks awful under saddle because she has never been asked to move correctly and is underweight. She has zero muscles, has no clue how to carry a rider, is in that horrible pen with horrible footing, and has no chance.

I think if someone actually fed her and rode her right she'd clean up nice and you could sell her. She is green and nervous but isn't doing anything stupid and she'd make a cute eventer.

BelladonnaLily
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:04 PM
I don't like her backend at all.

And if the rider in the video is an indication of the "training" the pony is receiving, I wouldn't touch it.

We took older ponies (4-6ish) in to start and resell but these had been untouched, so nothing had been screwed up. An 8yo that is that green and has potential training issues is a long term project,not a flip.

Petstorejunkie
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:22 PM
ew, i wouldnt bother

Noctis
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'd definitely pass...she's not all that nice. Cute, but I wouldn't ever take her for resale, lots of nicer ones for free as well!

Tha Ridge
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ditto all who say pass. A talented green pony will still move well and carry themselves with some natural balance - this pony doesn't do either.

Gestalt
Dec. 5, 2009, 07:42 PM
Well she doesn't have the best conformation, but yes, I do think she has potential. I see a small, scopey jumper.

toomanyponies
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
Actually, I dont think she is so bad at all. I would want to get a feel for her personality though - she might be hot, or maybe just super green. Hard to say.

Negatives are that she is built out of 'spare parts' and has a bit too much knee action - but terrible footing. On the positive, she has a soft, stridey canter, scopey and pretty correct jump, and will be the right size as a medium. I think 200 lbs will make it look a lot less incorrect.

This is what I would do - make sure it has a natural lead change. Have them let it loose in a paddock and watch it canter. No natural lead change, pass. If it does, see if you can take it for a month and work with it. If you love it, buy it. If its hot and nervous, send it back.

SkipChange
Dec. 5, 2009, 09:45 PM
Well she doesn't have the best conformation, but yes, I do think she has potential. I see a small, scopey jumper.

Yeah but the pony is 13.1...not much use to have a medium pony jumper since pony jumpers are 3'6"

Overall I'm really not impressed with this pony.

OneGrayPony
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm going to diverge a little from previous posters. I think her movement would improve if she were trimmed/shod correctly (she appears to be long in the video), and ridden correctly. She looks cute, she needs groceries, and I think she might make a cute local hunter. She's not stunning, a diamond in the rough, but man, she deserves...more.

RanchoAdobe
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
The pony os worth going to take a look at and sit on for yourself. She has a nice, correct, scopey jump and may surprise you with her movement in better footing. Her balance will def improve with more muscle tone and some actual training.

superpony123
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:34 AM
I dont know. I really do not like her conformation. However, I suspect that with proper riding, a good trim of the hooves, better footing, she could move a little better. I don't like the way she moves now. Seems very unbalanced. No real concept of it. Eh. May or may not be fixable. It could be worth looking into, though. Who knows? She could shape right up with the right rider. I don't think she's a diamond in the rough, but if she is SAFE and EASY, she could easily be a good resale as a small kids pony, a lesson pony, something of that sort. But definitely not a show-pony type of resale. Maybe something that could do okay in the short stirrup or little local hunters, but this pony is not going to go very far in the fancy department.

Savoy 8
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:28 PM
I was more thinking she would make a good pony jumper or possibly a nice dressage pony or event pony. I was not a super huge fan of her conformation but, I thought that maybe some of what I was seeing was due to the lack of proper training. As far as her movement... I tried to take into consideration that she is in a small round pen and possible not very comfortable? If you turn up your volume you can hear in a few of the videos her hitting her legs pretty hard on the side of the round pen :cry: which might be pretty scary! I did not think she was a nice enough mover to be a hunter... though you never know, and she may move better when she is out of a small circle and a muddy area?? Maybe? She does have a pretty nice looking canter (I thought)...
Thanks for everyone's opinions. I value them all!

Mo's Mom
Dec. 6, 2009, 01:46 PM
Just curious, this mare looks familiar. How many owners has she had so far? Is she from outside Raleigh w/BNT? A givaway last year? If she is, she is probably closer to 9 YO, and she may be a cribber. I inquired about her 2 years ago, and passed. Poor girl needs a good home and training. :(

Daventry
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:48 PM
Just curious, this mare looks familiar. How many owners has she had so far? Is she from outside Raleigh w/BNT? A giveaway last year? If she is, she is probably closer to 9 YO, and she may be a cribber. I inquired about her 2 years ago, and passed. Poor girl needs a good home and training. :(

You have a good memory! ;) It is most definitely the same pony mare that came from NC and was also a previous giveaway on the COTH BB. I know because we own the sire and a few interested buyers contacted us to find out more information on the poor pony. :no: I've sent the OP a PM! And she is a bit old, a 2001 model to be exact...with VPBA papers. She looks like a prime candidate for ulcers...so cribbing definitely wouldn't be a shock!

I have to agree with BelladonnaLily that taking an untouched 8 year old is very different than taking an 8 year old who is been through a few trainers and has been a giveaway after giveaway. But who knows, if someone is willing to deal with a looooong project and has the right knowledge and patience, gets her teeth done and on some ulcer meds, many throw-aways could potentially be diamonds in the rough. As a resale project though, which, in order to be successful at, means minimal time and money....IMHO she is not! :no: I hate to say that about one of my stallions offspring, but sounds like the mare has been through some rough times!

shawneeAcres
Dec. 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
Yes MM I think this is the pony, that was what I was thinking and if she is a cribber AND is an 8 or 9 yr old green medium, she doesnt strike me as a resale prospect. She is fairly small to do the jumpers with, her jump is OK, but not good enough to make me think she will be able to so the 3'6". Plus the fact her hind is is trailing makes me think trouble for tight turning. Might make a low level event pony, but those don't bring a lot of money UNLESS they are packing kids around.

Windswept Stable
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:03 PM
I would definitely pass as a resale. The pony deserves a good home as she sounds like she has been in the wrong hands probably more than once.
It looks to me like a string halt or something else significant going on in the back end.

Poor pony. Resale -NOT. But definitely needs a good home and some groceries.

HealingHeart
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
I bet she would make a great eventer, Three day horse. Powerful, brave and seems to have the moment for dressage. She would be bold over cross country. Post this in the eventing section.

Haalter
Dec. 7, 2009, 12:12 AM
I had trouble getting the videos to load, so only saw about 1/2 of each, but...I don't think she's as bad as people are making her out to be, unless there was something terrible at the end of the videos I missed! I don't like her hind end conformation at all, but I've had ones who have started off trotting like that and with good shoeing and correct training haven't become great movers but have shown significant improvement. Her jump is cute and I like her canter. If you're looking to make $$$ on a quick flip, I'd pass, but I don't see why she couldn't make up into a nice children's pony/short stirrup pony if you took a little time with her.

lcw579
Dec. 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
I didn't think she looked that bad... long in the back, yes, and no muscle but her looks could improve with some groceries and steady work. There may be a bit of a swan hiding under that ugly duckling - it's just going to take time and work to bring it out.

It was hard to get a true idea of her movement since it looked like she was slogging through some pretty thick footing. I thought her canter was okay and her trot might be better elsewhere. The rider wasn't doing her any favors either. She seems like a nice enough girl - she was cooperative in the round pen with the stirrups flopping all over and she didn't take advantage of her rider in the other video.

Will she be a quick resale? Probably not, especially in hunterland, but I think she deserves another chance. I bet she'd be a nice little eventer or pony club mount.