PDA

View Full Version : Market in PNW?

Equine Adhesive
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hello fellow PNW's - how is the market for young sporthorses in general (excluding the whole going into winter thing). I was offered an opportunity to work with an amazing TB prospect, but I have to be able to resell him, NOT for a profit, but hopefully to break even or lose a few hundred, in the Spring or Summer, due to a conflict later in the year. I know NOTHING is certain, I just know where I used to live I knew the market and would do it there, given the odds. Is there a need for well-trained & fancy type horses around here or not really? Thanks!!

Calvincrowe
Dec. 6, 2009, 09:44 AM
Slow. The market for young, greenish horses is terribly slow, no matter how fancy. Heck, the market for older, experienced, going and winning horses is slow. Sorry. I look at the Dreamhorse site pretty regularly out of habit, as well as Flyingchanges, etc. and the same horses are still there, for months.

PNWjumper
Dec. 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
Well, as you mentioned, the market is close to nonexistent at this point in the year. But come spring I don't think it will pick up as much as most people with horses to sell (myself included) hope it will. So it really depends on what you need to break even. A TB is always a tougher sale into a show barn without a show record. So I guess I would say if it's a really nice prospect you're able to pick up for free I'd go for it. If you have to pay much for it I wouldn't. Seems like the horses that are moving are those at the way low end of the price scale and those at the way high end. The middle part ($5k-$75Kish) doesn't seem to be faring as well.

I have a friend who runs a sales barn who is terrific at moving horses and can sell pretty much anything in a short(ish) amount of time. But we're not talking big money and her client base is often the eventing crowd. So if you're talking simply about breaking even (meaning under the $10K mark) and the horse is a nice horse, I don't think it would be impossible if you're willing to send the horse to someone else to sell.

If you want to do it yourself, though, it's all about who you know. If you have good connections into the show barns there's a market (albeit slower than usual), but definitely always a place for a nicely broke, attractive horse capable of walking into the show ring. So I guess my answer is that it depends on how nice the horse is and what will allow you to break even.

Equine Adhesive
Dec. 7, 2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks, guys, for your responses! Makes sense. I don't need a lot to break even - basically just some of the board & related expenses, since I'd have to board at an indoor over the winter. So definitely looking to only sell it on the cheaper end of things, really the point would just be to work with something nice, and not be stuck when I do need to move it. I've done it a bit before, just not in this area.

wanderlust
Dec. 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
Not to be a debbie-downer, but the market up here for TBs, even nice ones, is in the 'dime-a-dozen' range.