PDA

View Full Version : Favorite brand of pelleted bedding

dmalbone
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
With a few different posts about pelleted bedding lately, I was hoping to find out everyone's favorites or those that you did not like.

LauraKY
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
Equine Fresh (Tractor Supply), hands down. Second choice, Southern States brand. Really dislike the rest. I switch to shavings if I can't get one of my two favorites. One of my TBs was allergic to something in the Guardian Brand.

dmalbone
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
Equine Fresh (Tractor Supply), hands down. Second choice, Southern States brand. Really dislike the rest. I switch to shavings if I can't get one of my two favorites. One of my TBs was allergic to something in the Guardian Brand.

Thanks, that's good to know. It seems like my horse in allergic to everything under the sun (and probably including sun as well). :lol:

shawneeAcres
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:50 PM
Equine Fresh from Tractor Supply, also Equine Pine is pretty good. Don't like Woody pet or some of the "off brands"

deltawave
Dec. 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
Equine Fresh is my favorite, hands down.

RegentLion
Dec. 5, 2009, 03:45 PM
Best Cobs corn cob bedding for my stall spinner. And he is very wet with his bucket. Works GREAT! Got it at TSC.

strawberry roan
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
I use Southern States and like it. One reason is one-stop shopping. Buy grain, etc at SS. Hate chasing around to different stores for different things. :):)

LoriO
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:23 PM
I use Country Pine pellets that I but through my pellet stove fuel supplier. They are 100% pine and work great. I have had very little problem with dust unless the bedding has sat unused for a long time like over the summer when the horses are out.

My mare is a bit of a pig so she tends to churn her stall up. I found that the really wet spot clumps together nicely and stays put (reminds me of clumpping cat litter) and that the little bit of damp that she spreads around really helps keep the stall almost dust free and so far have never had a problem with smell as long as the main pee spot is cleaned well and replaced with dry bedding.

nadasy
Dec. 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
I like the one made by American Wood Fiber in MD. It's chipped shavings, small, dust free and clumps easily. I get mine at TSC. They just had a sale on them and I got 30 bales.

I loved Dry Nest when it first came out, but the price has gone out of sight, and it sometimes is dusty and the flakes are larger now. Pestell from Canada is my second choice. Bigger flake but still not dusty.

My stalls have mats and have tried pelleted bedding and just don't like it. It breaks down and gets dusty and takes time to soak.

I bed deeply in straw for about a month in the Winter because it's warmer, but then we leave and go south and use shavings.

I don't mind paying a bit more for smaller flakes, because in the long run it you don't throw as much out and it's generally not dusty.