View Full Version : Your Thoughts On A Shoop Trailer

Dec. 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine is looking at a 2002 Shoop Trailer, its warmblood size with aluminum siding and fiberglass roof. It only has 500 miles on it they basically bought it and never really used it.
Any thoughts on this trailer?

Dec. 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
My first horse trailer was a 2 horse Shoop. That was in the mid 1960s. That trailer lasted years and years, and I sold it when I needed a 4 horse Van in 1984. I still see that trailer when I am on RT.30 going through Lancaster County PA. :lol:

They are really well made, last forever, and the people are great to deal with.

Dec. 5, 2009, 04:21 PM
My first trailer was a 2 horse Shoop too, it was a vintage 1978 when I bought it in 1996, kept it for 4 years and resold it. I liked it because it was extremely light and easy for my truck to pull, but it was a little prone to rocking side to side. Though it was used hard by the time it got to me, was very serviceable and served me well.

Dec. 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
I have a 1999, purchased in 2002. While it's served me dutifully for 7 years, I'd never endeavor to have another one in my stable.

It is what I would consider a low-end trailer in both price and quality. Perhaps the higher end of low, but still bottom-of-the-barrel.

Pros: Nicely sized. Mine is 7'6". Hauls well as most of it is FRP which is lighter than steel. Horses seem to load well. The best I could buy on my measly budget ($3K) at the time.

Cons: The original floor was some sort of press board. It looked like left-over pieces randomly glued together.

It failed in a very scary, premature way. It was not wood-rot. By the time I realized it, I was literally staring through a 3inX6ft hole. The failure appeared to be vibration induced issue where the outer parts of the pressboard came off, and then the whole thing was coming apart much like a zipper.

Secondly, mine has the crappy GMC paint which has been notorious for having primer/paint lamination issues. It's needed a paint job since 2003.

Probably related to above, the parts which are not fiberglass, have rusted.

Light gremlins from day 1--had issues with brake lights. Ended up replacing most of the lights and the wiring.

Crappy latches on doors--both human walk through doors are a poor design. Not study nor as secure as I would like. Additionally, the rear top doors often fail so they only way to open them is from the inside.

The OEM tires are NOT RATED for a trailer. Yep, they are light duty truck tires. Thus, needed new tires shortly after buying it.

All in all, it got me around approx 10K miles/yr for 6 years until I bought the horse van.

Dec. 5, 2009, 10:11 PM
I had a 1985 Shoop 2 horse with dressing room. It was a great trailer and I still see it around from time to time. It was all steel and super heavy and a total rust bucket. But, it was my first trailer and the only thing I could afford at the time so I loved it. I pulled that thing everywhere. It was a pretty solid trailer.

As noted above, check the floor. When I had first got the trailer, I had the floor replaced with pressure treated wood. It wasn't very expensive around $300. Well worth it. I did sand off most of the rust and bought a couple cans of spray paint to try and fix the rust issue.

I have since saved my pennies and upgraded to a newer and lighter trailer, but I did sell that trailer for the same price I bought it for 5 years later. So, it did hold its value very well.

Its a really good solid starter trailer, and a pretty good investment if you decide that you want to upgrade a few years later if you take care of it.

Dec. 6, 2009, 08:49 AM
I had s Shoop back in the early eighties, bought it used and used the heck out of it while I had it.
I then sold it on for as much as I had paid for it when I upgraded to a gooseneck.
The only bad thing was that the ramp was VERY heavy and if the helper spring gets weak, or breaks, like mine did once, it's near impossible to lift the ramp alone.

Dec. 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
In the 60's 70' and possibly 80's Shoops were the High end rock solid Heavey trailer of choice. Even though possibly still family owned they are not of the same quality as past years.

You can do better.

Dec. 6, 2009, 09:18 AM
I have an 84 Kingston that I love and I would highly recommend this trailer but I don't know if the new Kingstons are just as good. Your thoughts?

Dec. 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
My first trailer was a 70's something Shoop. I used it until 2005, sold it, and the girl I sold it to is still using it. They last forever.

Bank of Dad
Dec. 7, 2009, 04:25 PM
I had a steel one in the 80's, it needed repainting fairly soon, and I had the floor replaced. Sold it in 1990 for a stock and got almost what I paid.

Friend got one around 2000, aluminum coated steel and didn't have any complaints.