Second the saddle pad-

Girth-

Bit -- I assume d-ring?

Third- Is my black stirrups okay-

I have the clothes --- love dressing like a hunter

Thanks all tips greatly appreciated!

heartinrye
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:13 AM
Bridle- I'm assuming since you need a 'new' one, that you have one with a jumper noseband (figure 8, crank, etc.) then why not just get a plain noseband that matches you current bridle? definitely help with not breaking the bank- try ebay.
Saddle pad- fitted one, try going to a tack store with your saddle to make sure there is no more than 1" on fleece showing all the way around.
Girth- plain leather- don't like the fleece ones- too distracting- again try ebay
bit- what ever your horse goes best in

Your black stirrups are fine ;) I love mine! (Although I don't use them in eq, but hunters is fine)

sweetpea
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:22 AM
2 nd horse my jumper bridle is for my jumper , but he new horse is for hunters
I have notice alot of wide noseband ones- any thoughts
on the fitted pad is there a certain brand ??

spmoonie
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:31 AM

I am a big fan of the wide noseband bridles. Edgewood makes one that is really lovely. If you hunt ebay, you may be able to find one that is fairly cheap. As for the saddle pad, Toklat and Wilkers both make excellent shaped fleece pads. Or, if you really want to splurge, Mattes, Thinline, and Fleeceworks all make beautiful sheepskin shaped pads.

heartinrye
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:39 AM

Oh sorry thought you'd be using the same horse :yes: Yes, the wide nosebands are very nice, but don't look good on every horse. Do you have a pic of the horse?

And for the saddle pads- I like medallion, but as long as it fits well it doesn't matter. I really don't like the look of the sheepskin pads, too bulky and distracting...

sweetpea
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:58 AM
No pics yet, but she is a mare and has a soft sweet look.
How about some of the smart pak bridles.
There is also this one I like
http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/anotherView.jsp?img=local/products/family_viewlarger/30887.jpg&iProductID=11131
Thanks for so many ideas

sweetpea
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:12 AM
I forgot I have a nice leather one -

Haalter
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:17 AM
Re: Bridles:
For me, it goes like this depending on the horse:
Plain small head - regular fancy stitched bridle
Plain large head - raised/padded fancy stitched bridle, wide noseband
Pretty, delicate head - simple, plain bridle
Pretty, bigger head - plain raised/padded bridle, wide noseband

IMO, using a wide noseband on a delicate, pretty headed mare looks clunky and detracts from her femininity and is distracting - think a petite girl wearing a pretty dress and doc martens ;) I also think that lots of padding or fancy stitching has the same distracting effect on a pretty head, whereas on a jug-headed horse, the same bridle will make the head look more refined.

I really like the Ovation bridles - nice, supple leather, look and feel like the more expensive bridles but won't break the bank. And for the most part, they come with reins. Realize that when you are bridle shopping, most of the high-end brands come without reins, which are not cheap.

Personally, I like the fitted sheepskin pads. Most of them just have a raised sheepskin edge around the edge of the saddle so IMO they don't look bulky if properly sized.

spmoonie
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:16 PM
I forgot I have a nice leather one -

Yes, that will be just fine. :)

Lucassb
Dec. 5, 2009, 04:31 PM
In the hunter ring, you want to go for a nice, quiet, conservative look - nothing to distract your eye from the horse.

Wider noseband bridles are in fashion now and look great on a lot of horses; I got one for my guy this past year and have had a lot of compliments on it (pic below) ... it was a very reasonably priced Aramas and to be honest, I like it better than some of my more expensive bridles!

Otherwise you cannot go wrong with a Hadfields or Edgewood model and you can frequently find good deals on those on Ebay or through a consignment place like Premier Tack Outlet.

Definitely a shaped pad for the hunter ring; the brand and style that works best is going to vary depending on your saddle. You want no more than an inch or so of sheepskin framing the saddle. Personally I'd use regular fillis stirrups in the hunters too, but no one is going to throw you out if you use your black ones.

If the horse goes well in a dee ring snaffle it is fine to use one and that is probably the most common bit you'll see in that ring, but a full cheek is certainly acceptable (if not as trendy) and you will see pelhams as well, particularly if the horse also does the eq. A lot of people will suggest that a standing martingale "completes the picture" for a hunter and dresses them up a bit. I'm not one of them, actually, but it is a common preference.

TheOrangeOne
Dec. 5, 2009, 05:01 PM
No pics yet, but she is a mare and has a soft sweet look.
How about some of the smart pak bridles.
There is also this one I like
http://www.sstack.com/shopping/product/anotherView.jsp?img=local/products/family_viewlarger/30887.jpg&iProductID=11131
Thanks for so many ideas

That bridle would be appropriate, were it not for those awful chicago screws. I wonder why on earth they would put those in instead of a hook stud.

http://www.premiertackoutlet.com/

Most of the bridles on here are suitable, and you can decide what works best for your mare's head. The logic girth is just fine, and a full shaped pad is probably your best bet. I like a sheepskin half pad myself, since I think it looks neater, but they have somewhat fallen out of style.

snaffle635
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
Check out Red Barn bridles. They're less expensive than Edgewood, they look great, and they wear well. You can see them at Smart Pak.

For saddle pads, I like Wilkers fleece pads.

I prefer leather girths without fleece.

Yes, you can use the black stirrups in the hunters, but I prefer fillis or Sprenger types.

enjoytheride
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:35 PM
They aren't chicago screws. The company has the english version of quick change snaps on the bridle so you can snap on and snap off a bit.

OP, I'm having a hard time understanding either the text speak or the english as a second language typing and figuring out which one it is!

forestergirl99
Dec. 5, 2009, 11:55 PM

Does you saddle have forward flaps? A lot of fitted pads don't fit these types of saddles. I use a half pad when i show because of this. A lot of people are starting to do it, so you wouldn't get any weird looks. lol.

sweetpea
Dec. 6, 2009, 08:54 AM
They aren't chicago screws. The company has the english version of quick change snaps on the bridle so you can snap on and snap off a bit.

OP, I'm having a hard time understanding either the text speak or the english as a second language typing and figuring out which one it is!

I am sorry -- when I looked at my replies your right--- can't you read my mind!!!!!!!!!!! I think I type my thoughts so fast that in return it only makes sense to me. I am still convinced I am backwards--- I have the hardest time when someone at a lesson rattles a course. I usually do it wrong. At shows I have my own method and I am fine-- but it is work.

Back to the tack though, saddle is a 17 reg flap , and I think the wilkers should do okay.

I just looked at the Imperial ADT --- OH my GOSH -- I remember Scott Hofstetter had all ADT matisse' S and I loved them . SO I am hunting !!

Thank You Everyone !

Ray
Dec. 6, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have a Crosby bridle with stitching for my mare, it was pretty reasonable